Think its piston rings

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

celicasupra

Hey car is now burning oil under acceleration so think its piston rings not valve stems. Dam. Anyone have an idea of how big a job it is to fix on one of theses motors and how much it will roughly cost. Cheers.

Might be cheaper to just get another motor? pretty cheap here in nz.... Probably cheaper to buy an import low km's motor than rebuild one.

this is an import motor and only been in the car for a month.. and buying it was the cheap part. Getting it put in and the cambelt done and getting it tuned and doing some seals that went hard from it sitting so long, has now cost me around 6k so far, just for a straight swap as there was a 1uz in it before that bottom end failed on

Did you not a motor from a reputable supplier with a warrenty?. My supplier stands behind his motors even when they are in conversions. What oil are you running? Cheers

yeah i bought it from auto parts nz, and it came with a 3 month "parts only" warranty, but he is refusing to honour it because the car has a custom sump so is not being used by manufacturers specifications. And even if he did honour it, he would just replace the motor, but i dont want to go through another motor swap so will have to try and work with this one. cheers

i'm not a lawyer, the below is only my opinion:

That is bullshit! (under Australian law anyway)!

If your sump is not the cause of the issue it should still be under warranty, provide photos of said sump and a written report from a toyota / lexus mechanic saying the sump is of equal quality to the factory item and in his professional opinion not the cause of the issue.

If he sold you the motor for a conversion a modified sump is within reason if not he sold you a product not fit for its intended use and grounds for a full refund.

speak to what ever the kiwi version of consumer affairs is and find out your exact rights!

Then probably write him a nice letter (delivered by courier with signature on delivery for proof that he received it) stating your intent to pursue legal recourse in obtaining a refund and any costs incurred if he is unwilling to settle the matter within 14 days, you will probably find him a little more willing to give you another motor.

Are you within the 3 month period? Parts only warranty are pretty normal in the trade. I have one supplier who does parts and labour on all their stuff but they charge a premium for it. Another place will give three prices for the same motor , 14day parts only , 3 months parts and labour and 6 months parts and labour. The extra is for the warranty. Your supplier is most likely within his rights to refuse as there will be a info sheet stating the warrently is for orginal fitment only , no modifacations etc. From a moral point of veiw he should help you out if the motor does have issues. This is one reason I prefer the customer to supply the motor for conversions(and normal secondhand motor replacements) , I dont have to cover the motor warranty.

It is tricky to give good advice here as we only have your side of the story. I dont want that to sound mean but there is always two sides and normally the truth is somewhere in the middle. Im a mechanic and know a bit about this kind of thing and the way the law works as Ive been through it a few times and won alot more than Ive lost.

I would write more but knowing the way the law works over here and having my name unfairly slandered on several forums and taking legal action to have it removed (and about to do a follow up as they started again with a new username) Im going to be careful. Having it on here is not a way to solve it. Give me a call and ill give you some "Off the record" advice if you want. I'm hard to get hold off but will be at work this arvo - search The Cartune Company in Hamilton and ask for Kelvin. Cheers

Hey thanks for your replys, Ive had the car at another mechanics today, and he says its not the oil rings, its the sump(apparently also the cause of death for the last motor). I bought the car with a custom sump fitted to it, but it seems they have made it to small, as it only takes 3 and a half litres to bring it to the full line. Apparently this is causing the oil to severely heat up, causing it to somehow get in to the cylinders and burn it. So, it seems the fix is going to be to take the sump off and have it extended. Who the f**k goes to all the effort of making a sump and makes it to small. Cheers

Rarely have heard of blown rings, even searching the net for his. Because I bought my sc400 with "blown rings" but started to doubt the guy even though he runs a performance import shop. Turns out it was the drivers side coil. So I got the car for dirt cheap .
Anyways , it's always good to hear of the issues found, but in your case it seems like it might be more of a headache.
Goodluck
Charley