Supercharged Cressida - take 5

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
V883,

Your pm should work right? Do you have any problems with PM? Your pm should work like everyone else... Please let me know if there is any problem with your pm.

Update: Bill, you accidentally turn off the PM. I manually turn it on for you. So it was your profile setting not from our side.

It's accepted there is a loss through the drive train. That loss varies from 15% - 30% depending on who I ask (and it's ALWAYS different...lol). Let's take 25% as an optimistic value.

230 reaches the wheels so I would divide 230 by 75 and multiply by 100 = 306 fwkw. 306 kw = 410hp. So...

If you think there is a 25% loss through the drive line that lowers the power at the flywheel down to 306 fwkw or 380 fwhp.

If you think there is only a 20% loss through the drive line that lowers the power at the flywheel down to 287 fwkw or 380hp

If you think there could be up to a 30% loss of power through the drive line that ups the flywheel power to about 328kw or 439hp.

First of all, excellent job! Until someone does something like this they have NO IDEA how much time, work and money in involved.

Now, regarding your power. The only thing that matters is power to the road. You have 230rwkW = 308rwHP.

Now, actual drivetrain loss is a function of the entire system AND weight. I would suggest that with a lighter vehicle your loss would be somewhat less than a stock Lexus.

That said the original engine was rated at 250hp and typically makes 175rwHP. If true that would be a 30% loss. I argue that the original rating was wrong and have given many examples. I believe the 250hp was marketing. In 1995 the LS400 was revised, the engine improved and rated 260hp. Performance improved by a FULL SECOND 0-60 and 1/4 mile. Not a realistic gain for 10hp... more like 30+hp.

So, lets look at the newer and more dyno'd GS400 rated 300hp (accurately IMO). These typically make 235rwhp. Math says 22% loss = 300hp. I think a 22% loss is a realistic and usable number.

What an awesome setup you got there!!!! Let me get this straight...you have around 300 RWHP and 650 lbs of torque???? That is quite an achievement and a well deserved # for everything she has put you through.
Congratulations once again!!! Enjoy that beast

Thanks. I was just out driving it again this afternoon. Endless fun.

Here's some better pics I took recently. Also doing the rounds on other forums but there are so many places I like to hang out - this is one of them.

new-supercharged-1uz-fe-v8cressida.com2.jpg

1uz-cressida-high.jpg

new-supercharged-1uz-fe-v8cressida.com.jpg

Hi Cob. Lex asked me that earlier in this thread. I'll just paste the same response I gave him...

The pulley is 145mm crank and 56mm Blower. A 2.58 ration. With a 6,500 rpm engine redline I'll be spinning it to 16,770 rpm. Max is 14,000, real max is 16,000 and the really really real max is about 19,000 but that's only because things start to get too hot under there which is where the water injection comes in.

You serious?! I don't like it at all but someone yesterday said they liked it as well. I may start changing my mind. The engineer made me put it on as a condition. He said he didn't like the "pinch point" at the blower pulley. I didn't want to argue with him so I got the lads to build me shroud of their own design. This is what they came up with. It runs all the way down the right hand side of the belt to the Air Con pulley.

Good 'ol H20 there I'm afraid.

That's the water injection injector. 600cc. ECU controlled. Constant pump.

Have yet to figure out what type of idle speed valve I'll use. Thinking of a Ford one that is Bi-mettalic. I've run out of ECU inputs so I have to go mechanical. Any suggestions?

We need more pictures man !!! were is the oil filter installed ? Did you use the stock engine mounts ? What about the exhaust .. is it single 3" …. pic ..pic ..pic …..

Very nice work. Though in my opinion it would have been cheaper and easier to achieve these power levels with a turbocharged 7M motor installation, the quality of the work done on your car is nothing short of remarkable and if the torque figures are right, the power is definitely there too.

I agree let alone for the money what I could have done to this motor but the real buzz was to have a supercharged V8. You turbo guys are way off in the 1000s now and though that sounds fun but I like the sound and immediate grunt of a V8. Not much horsepower (I tell anyone who asks that it's got about 380hp) but the torque is cool. Still, I'm starting to get used to it. I think I need about 100-150 more horsepower (got plenty of torque) before I'm satisfied with this engine. The problem I have is that they lowered the compression too much (8.3:1) for this blower (11.5psi - max). This engine can easily handle twice that much boost. I might bolt on a Whipple or at least a 112. Also, the exhaust farts until I really get on it and it's bothering me. It doesn't suit the car so today I'm going out to fit my 6th cat-back exhaust system...sigh. I just MUST have the right sound and though this engine can't be beat for sound when it's singing the 6,500 Grand Opus it sounds like a 253 Panel Van with too large extractors and no balance pipe when I'm squirting past people.

The oil filter sits behind the front bumper along with the water injection pump (which is too loud and on all the time).

Here are some exhaust pics for you but like I said, that's about to change.

exhaust-10-inch-merge-x-pipe.jpg

exhaust-10-inch-merge-x-pipe2.jpg

exhaust-10-inch-merge-x-pipe3.jpg

This car is now for sale (I live in Adelaide Australia). I may also sell the engine separately. This is will go cheap as all I want to do is help cover the cost of my new...ready for it?...96 LS400! Mmmm, LS...mmmm