Stock ECU For Spark and Transmission Management Only

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

dodgydex

Hello Lextremists,

I have a 1992 SC400. I would like for the stock ECU to continue to do the following functions.
1-Spark/Timing Management.
2-Stock Transmission Control.

Do you think the ECU will still run spark if the only sensors connected are the -Crank speed, and Cam Position? What are the minimum requirements of the ECU to continue to provide spark?

If the following is removed will the ECU still provide spark?
-fuel injectors
-air flow meter
-throttle position
-fuel pump
-o2 sensors

Are there any critical functions the ECU manages that I am unaware? This is a fairly bare semi race/street car. The trans seems to be controlled by only an internal speed sensor and a cable to the throttle.

I have a separate fueling system complete and it stands alone. I wonder will the ECU play along?

Thank you for your time,
-Dex

Why not use a megajolt and a stand alone transmission controller? or even better yet just go to a ms3 with the ms3x expansion and have it control everything.

if you are going carbeurated I'd go with the first suggestion.

I plan to use the splitronics for spark and transmission controll until the 5sp swap, but was hoping i could run it on the stock ecu for a while as funds become available. Would you think the stock ecu will run the trans only? Any way around the afm? I see an msd option as well with the cam signal wave converter and a 6al2 programable

depending on the aftermarket ecu your fitting it should be no problem, i did this with my motec and still have the factory ECU doing idle control! but i still have all the sensors connected to the factory ecu.

I appreciate the info, the Lextreme forum is a wealth of knowledge.

I am going to try this with the tps, afm, temp sensor, all functioning. Waiting on some parts in the post, will let know how goes..

I'm actually liking the idea of using the stock ecu for timing as it is already there- will research more. Also I have been reading about the various COP set ups and challenges associated with them and it seems complicated. I am no electrical engineer... more of a general fabricator. Ill have to learn some about the tune-ability of the timing maps. I seem to recall the TOM's ECU being desirable. I happen to frequent RCTS which is a tuning shop in Calgary AB, home of the Supra tuning legend Reg Reimer. I'll have to ask if he has any recommendations on my next trip through Calgary.

Ok well I have driven this over 2000km's on a trip to some some glaciers near Jasper at about 7000ft altitude. Have been getting slightly better mileage than with the stock fuel injection. Power is adequate to cruise at highway speed and pass without a problem. There is definitely some more to be had with tuning. I feel MegaJolt and Ford EDIS is the next step here. My timing light broke so I am unsure but I feel the TPS and AFM and ECU are not giving the best timing advance. I am having trouble with Picasa so this link will have to suffice.

https://plus.google.com/photos/104073078239089348060/albums/5896505982966291537?authkey=CO3Nu-WL_POB1gE

The transmission kick down is not working. It up shifts through the gears well enough although early, and it does downshift accordingly with speed. I did retain the trans line pressure cable but she wont down shift with the gas pedal on her own. It's ok for me as I like shifting anyhow and will put a 5spd soon enough but just FYI.

Looking at the DIS in my dads truck. It is a 1993 Ford Ranger with the 2.3l 4cly engine and has 8 spark plugs. In my research I hear it runs these as a wasted spark set up being that for say cylinder 1 you will get a spark for the combustion stroke as well as a spark for the exhaust stroke. This looks to be easily used for my 1UZ and would be a non waste spark in my application. These rangers are plentiful and would be easier to find one in a car lot to get parts from rather than a Crown Vic or Lincoln which are rarer. Does anyone have an opinion on this set up? I would pair this with the MegaJolt.

Why not convert the trans to full manual with a Tiptronic system.

Pretty simple to do (says he has never done it!) and there are plenty of people who can either sell you what you need or tell you how to do it.

That would overcome the transmission problem.

A major upgrade will be the 5spd but that means the diff change as well so its a bit of a project. As for tiptronic thats pretty much how its working now by moving the gear selector through the gears as you need to. The trans does keep a gear relative to speed but does not seem to correlate with throttle position or load. I wonder why as i have only really removed the fuel injectors from the equation. I feel i should spend some more time tidying up wiring and doing my best to get the computer to work well doing spark and trans for reference if anyone else is considering something like this. The tps is a hard thing to have with this particular carb and i had to make a custom triple action lever on there. One side is pulled by the gas pedal while the other pulls the trans line pressure and in the middle are blades for actuating the tps. There must be some way to run this with the tps "locked" into a certain position providing adequate spark advance table. The afm is not too concerning at the moment as it provides a nice route to the air filter. Still i consider the ford dis as i feel the ranger style will be easy to find