still plagued with problems

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Warm Pudgy

I replaced the ecu today, and she started right up like nothing was ever wrong.

But under slight acceleration or load like going up a hill, it seems like she's skipping like all the cylinders stop firing for half a second. Or almost like the tranny is slipping then catching very quickly. If I put the pedal down a little more, but not enough to cause a change in gears it gets worse. Put the pedal down a little more to cause gears to change it goes away. At higher rpms its not noticable

Sometimes while idling I will notice something what seems like a missfire. Its only for a split second at a time but it will happen every few seconds.

Another problem is the traction control. The trac off light and cel are on, as well as the trac light above the needle. My guess is the trac ctrl ecu is bad?

What if the trac ctrl is malfunctioning and its causing the butterfly valve to close repeatedly for a split second? Could this be a possibility? I haven't tried unplugging it yet.

Another thing is the OD off light will start to flash once the engine warms up. And then the tranny will go straight from first to forth, completely skipping second and third.

When everything is cold when I first start it, it will shift perfectly. But once it warms up it turns to shit.

I really regret ever getting this car. If I didn't have a lien on the title, I'd just get rid of it

As far as I know, I've covered all the basics, plugs, cables, distributors, ignition coils, not the ignitors yet. Fuel filter, fuel pressure, fuel pump. Maf, tps.

Also the radio has stopped working.
The antenna comes out, and the led works. I can change stations, but there's no sound. Not even static. Tape player doesn't work either. It started making weird sounds and I could smell burning electronics coming from the trunk right before it quit.

I really regret buying this car

if any cel is on fix that before u throw money on other stuff
like u did
I don't know y 99% of people chance rotors leads and stuff
when it's hardly that
I've never changed them if car has major issues
it's always something else
anyway trc talks to engine ecu so fix the cel
maybe disconnect butterfly for trc and road test
might abs trc wheel speed sensor problem

do some research and find out how to get the cel lights to flash
this will tell u if there are any codes in memory

if your od light flashes means u have error in ecu regarding transmission

tell tell u the truth and hope others dont get offended
some toyotas are fukt when they get 15 years old
i would never ever ever own a soarer or similar
i know all the stupid problems they get at around 15 to 20 year old mark

Ok so I decided to pull out some plugs and check em. She's definitely running lean, plugs are white.

Upon checking the sparks I noticed every few ignites it misses one.

It will go something like ...spark spark spark spark....spark spark... spark spark spark spark....and so on

Could it be just a weak ignition coil(s)?

I've decided I'm not going to bother with the egr any more.
The valve is fine, and the vacuum switch seems to be fine too. Unless its what's causing it to run lean, but I don't think it is.

Yep it was just a bad ignition coil! Stuttering is gone.

Now there's just the issue of it running lean.

How do you tell if the solenoids or clutch bands need replacing in the tranny?
Would a good flush take care of it?

This is probably waaaaay too late for you, but if your tranny is shifting directly to 4th from 1st, then your shifter solenoids are probably due for a change.

I had the same problem with my '92LS400 - durn thing would bog down if I goosed it. Just about drove me nuts. I had the whole tranny rebuilt and the bastards did not bother with the valve body at all, which may have been a blessing in disguise. Anyway, after the rebuild, the shifting was slightly better, but still the same problem. I knew it was the solenoids, because I did the test on the ODBC - 62 and 63 codes! Bought the Shifter #1 & #2 (tranny is 541E), put them in and voila! shifting problems gone!! There are some tests to rule out harness and ECT issues, and you may want to eliminate those first, however.

HTH:)

misfire codes 301 & 302

Yep it was just a bad ignition coil! Stuttering is gone.

Now there's just the issue of it running lean.

How do you tell if the solenoids or clutch bands need replacing in the tranny?
Would a good flush take care of it?

warm...I sympathize with your problems. I have a '95 LS400 that's been absolutely rock solid and I wouldn't trade it for a new one even if they gave it to me for free. My problem, I'm pulling codes 300, 301, & 302. Misfires in cyl's 1 & 2. I've ruled out ign coils, because what's the chances of both going bad at the same time? And why are the misfires only in cyls 1 & 2? Each is on a separate bank, they don't share anything that I'm aware of other than the ecu. Anyone have any ideas on what can cause misfires in only these 2 cyl's, compression in cyl 1 came in a strong 180, I'm going to check compression on cyl 2, but it wouldn't make sense to be a fuel or electrical issue since it only affects these 2 cyls, which are on dif banks. I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks in advance.

LS400GUY