Steam pipe Turbo manifolds

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

mycarhasposessedme

Hi folks,
Just after some opinions on my turbo manifolds I'm making for myself at home.
They are constructed from thick wall mild steel steam pipe, I have just tacked them together for now until I can fit the engine into my project, its in my spare chasis at the moment and I was using cardboard templates for the inner guards for clearence. Hence I have not fitted the turbo flanges either incase they need a 1 or 2 degree tilt or some other minor position change, but I am fairley confident they will be spot on (says with fingers crossed)
The pipe is 35mm I.D. and 42mm O.D, as I assembled them all joints were ground internally for a perfect meet,I tried to get the merge joints on good angles however packaging prevented them from being ideal, also no chance of tuned length.
My heads have been mildly ported and as such exhaust port size is 37mm, headers have been ground to match.
These headers will place my turbos rearward of the cam pulleys.
When I am happy that they are right they will be tiggd up and ceramic coated.
So what do ya reckon (be honest JBrady) I can take it.

Thankyou JBrady I am truely humbled by your kind comment
I have been keenly reading and learning from your posts and have tried to incorporate what I have learnt into my turbo header design.
Cheers.
Trev.

The voice is getting louder in my hears too. Very nice... Which car or swap are you planning to put it in. What type of turbo u are using?

man you put some time into those babies, well done, makes my $99 ebay headers look cheesy, lucky you dont like to get other people to work on your car coz they would cost more than your children...

A combination of bulk material with an angle grinder, then final shaping with a die grinder.
Penetrations were done with a series of holesaws and final shaping done once again with a die grinder.
All straight cuts were done by hand with a hacksaw, I used a pvc pipe joiner slid over the pipe to give me an accurate line to follow ,then finished them off with a 9inch grinder clamped to the bench used like a disc sander.
Most joints are almost air tight.
This has allowed me to test the cylinder scavaging ability of the design.
When compressed air is blown through the pipe runners a strong vacum is present at the joined cylinder and no reversion is present at any others

mycarhasposessedme said:
A combination of bulk material with an angle grinder, then final shaping with a die grinder.
Penetrations were done with a series of holesaws and final shaping done once again with a die grinder.
All straight cuts were done by hand with a hacksaw, I used a pvc pipe joiner slid over the pipe to give me an accurate line to follow ,then finished them off with a 9inch grinder clamped to the bench used like a disc sander.
Most joints are almost air tight.
This has allowed me to test the cylinder scavaging ability of the design.
When compressed air is blown through the pipe runners a strong vacum is present at the joined cylinder and no reversion is present at any others

This gentlemen is an example of resourcefullness combined with determination and engineering. It also is an example of how much work it takes to create a GOOD part. Trev's test above using compressed air is a good indication of effectiveness. There is of course much more going on that air (gas) flow but it would be obviously a bad thing if 2 pipes joined directly opposite of each other as the energy from one outlet would literally be charging its adjacent pipe. Also, poor intersections with excessive turbulance can reverse flow as well. Good work.

The only thing I would have considered would be to delay the 3rd merge and extend the 2 pipes through the turbo flange and cut the end in such a fashion as to minimize the collector area of the turbine inlet creating a semi-divided turbine housing/3rd collector combination... although that design could be too much for each wastegate to manage.

Would you be willing to make another set of manifolds for a TT app in an SC400? :D or Perhaps a schematic? lol

Thanks.

Dan

Finally finished these the other day.
Got sick of my welder mate stuffing me around so I did them myself.
Made a few changes also and re-did all of the pipe merges, as I wasn't happy with them.
Just have to get the flanges milled then off to the ceramic coaters.
Pics below.