Some OBDII and Data Link questions

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Jesus-Ninja

So, I'm trying to get my OBDII port up and running.

As I understand it, the OBD Port is Data Link Connector 3

Following the wiring diagrams, I see there should be 4 pins wired up on the plug: pin 7 - SIL (with a grounded shield)
pin 16 - +12V
pin 4 - CG (grounded)
pin 5 - SG (grounded)

I appear to have
pin 7 - SIL (with no grounded shield)
pin 16 - +12V
pin 4 - CG (grounded)
pin 13 - TC
pin 9 - B-Y wire (not sure where this goes)

Then there's Data Link Connector 1, which should be the one under the bonnet.

The diagram shows This having three feeds:

pin 11 - TC
pin 12 - +B
pin 3 - E1 (grounded)

Car is a UK 1998 VVTi, which may explain some of the differences to the wiring diagrams which are from an earlier LS400 and probably not UK.

So, does what I have sound "right", particularly the TC in the OBD-II port and in the engine bay?

What's the B-Y wire in pin 9 my OBD-II port? The assumption would be that, being Black and Yellow, it's also battery +VE

Do I need to bother shielding the SIL feed?

Am I right that this is K Line, as it's only using data on pin 7 (of the standard pins defined for OBD-II)?

Where's TE1 in all this? I can't find it in the diagrams?

Does grounding TC flash codes through the CEL?

Last edited:
tc does flash codes through warning light. there's no TE1/TE2 on vvti engines.
what you call obd2 is just k-line phy and sort of proprietary logical level, so it's only partly compliant with obd2 specs. To succesfully connect to ECM with proper cable, you only need +B (battery terminal through a fuse), CG and SIL.

Thanks, George. Port is wired up to +B (via 7.5A fuse), CG and SIL.

Any recommendations on software that will work best with my ELM327 cable? Or recommendations on a handheld scanner?

Never tried elm327
I use chinese mini vci cable (~$50 shipped) and toyota techstream when I need to be 100% confident in data validness.

And, in case I need fastest data refresh rate, I use vag-com cable and a freeware program.

yes, that one will help.
But, surprisingly there's a number of chinese clones of original adapter. Black boxes named "xhorse mini vci" are reported to perform a tad better than those transparent ones. Though they all do work.

Never tried elm327
I use chinese mini vci cable (~$50 shipped) and toyota techstream when I need to be 100% confident in data validness.

And, in case I need fastest data refresh rate, I use vag-com cable and a freeware program.

Thinking about it, I have a VAGCOM cable somewhere. What freeware do you use with it?

At least you have a choice ))
Hi George. you seem to know your stuff. Struggling to connect to obd2 have 3uzfe with 6 speed gearbox does have canbus hig and canbus low on ecu tried multipal readers to connect but no luck. Older 3uzfe only had one sending wire and worked like a charm. Please help