CALIFORNIA 1uz'ers. Im want a smog legal swap in my obdII truck.

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

tacogina

hey guys,

So I've always wanted to do a 1uz swap in my 99 tacoma but I live in california and the last time I did a swap (sr20det s13) I had to get rid of it due to cops, smog etc. I love my truck as its the most reliable vehicle I have ever own and I would hate to have to get rid of it.

It just so happened that a friends sc400 got rear ended so I got myself a perfect donor. What the ultimate goal is to have a smog legal swap so getting it bar'ed at the state referee is the plan. The truck is a 99 and the donor is a 95 which obdII as well. I have done some research and I cant find anyone who has done it.

A few concerns off the top of my head.

1. regulations call for the engine's year to be same if not newer than the car its going in to. So right there I might have a problem. I understand this is so that you dont put an old emissions system in a newer vehicle.

2. Engine has to come from the same class of vehicle. ie. truck-truck, sedan-coupe? so in my case, only a 2uz would be suited since it was available on a tundra.

3. The last would be the tranny. It needs to be an available option for the engine.

I dont want a stinky auto. Maybe get the truck bar'ed with the auto, then do the 5speed. I also came across a mention of a guy in the sc400 forums who did the 5 speed swap and tricked the ecu to think it still had a functioning auto attached so it can still be smoged.

It would be great if anyone here has some insight...

#1 is your biggest issue. Second being that yes, you're stuck with the 2uz out of a tundra only. And third, up untill about two years ago they weren't too particular about what tranny is behind the engine. now they are real sticklers about having the automatic transmission in there.