shifter extension

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

400ZED

has anyone seen or fabed up a gear shift extension to relocate the shifter back so it comes up through the right hole i think i have to move it 200mm or so i am off to measure at lunch. i was thinking a 3D seesaw which would swap let to right and keep 1st at the front still.
I am throwing this out there i am sure it could help others not just me.
any ideas.

i eill try and scetch something up and post it soon

Hi It could be something about putting them in Nissans as Im doing the same thing with my s13 silvia. My dad works for a company that makes lotus sevens and hes shown me how to make a shifter extension. I have most of the parts made I just need to weld them up. This method has been proven to work well on some of the lotus sevens my dad has made.

I will post some pictures of the parts and a diagram.

Hope it helps.

Luther

Ok here are the pics hopefully you can see whats going on

Note: It hasn't been welded up yet.

The trick is getting a ball joint from a car and then finding a bolt with the right thread to screw into it. The ball joint then mounts to the top of the trannie tunnel and the linkage runs foward to the cut down w55 gearstick a 6mm bolt with a long smooth shank and a nut on the end will be used to connect the linkage to the two collars.
The collars are supposed to slide up and down the sticks and then secure with a grub screw once the throw has been tested.

Hope this helps I will let you know how it feels when Its on the car.

Luther

shifter5.jpg

shifter4.jpg

shifter3.jpg

shifter2.jpg

shifter1.jpg

i can see how that works. Cheers
if it is all pretty tight there should not be too much slope in the stick. it would be easy to make it a short shifter as the length between pivots will change the ratio of the through.

Stirling

Hi Lutrer did you ended that shifter extension linkage?
how it works?
cheers
Jerry

Attachments

• hl0014.jpg
    hl0014.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 1
  • mr3b2007car8036.jpg
    mr3b2007car8036.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 2
  • mr3b2007car8031.jpg
    mr3b2007car8031.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1
  • hl0042.jpg
    hl0042.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1
How does this work with the reverse lock out?
I can imagine that will work for forward-back movment (1 to 2 or 3 to 4 gear), but how that will work for side-to-side movement (2 to 3 or 4 to 5 or as say Cobber for reverse)?

I've seen that done before on some Bmw's only thing is since hes using the ball joint and not a double hinge is the shift will feel "squishy" and wont have the stiff gated feel.

Are you all aware that both the R154 and W58 have extended shifter versions?

medium_Trans5.jpg

SANY014211.jpg

yes, N/A MKIV Supras and SC300's alike. I think the IS300's had them too.

As for the R154's, I know that they exist, but dont recall what it was in. I do know that the Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice here in the states have a GM AR5 trans which happens to be made by Aisin and is basically a new and improved R154. There is a fellow MKIII supra owner here in the states that has put one into his supra.

does anyone know if the top plate, and associated parts from a remote mount W series transmission bolt up to an R series? I realize that the actual mount for the remote gearshift won't bolt up, but if top plate, and the pieces underneath that will work, I'll come up with something for the rest.

My buddy has a few Ws lying around, so if nobody knows, I'll go see if anything looks similar it will work with the R. Unfortunately none of his are remote shift transmissions, but, it should be educational.