AA80 E shifter plug?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Jim Blackwood

Hi again everyone, good to be back.
I could use a part number and maybe a source if anyone has them, for the shift selector switch's connector plug on the wiring harness. I know they are available, I bought one a couple years back but I should have bought three. It has those ultra miniaturized square connector pins and I've not been able to get the end cap off to see how the pins go in. So,... I've about wrecked the one I have and am not getting good pin insertion and need to start over.

Can anybody help me out here? I seem to have lost the sheet I had with the connector and pin part numbers and can't remember who I ordered them from.

Jim

Thanks George, that helped. I was able to find the truncated part number on the connector, add the prefix from the book and find it with a Google search. About $7.50 ea so I ordered 3. One to dissect, one to screw up, and one to get right.

Jim

Substitution

Sad to say, I had a great deal of trouble using the small pins that this connector body uses. They have the same P/N as the ones used by the main transmission connector (AA80E) but even after removing the inside cap getting the pins to lock in was difficult and they didn't look straight, but had the appearance of being slightly "clocked". After all of that, connection to the switch itself was poor. Nowhere near consistent enough to use, even though checking the switch itself shows it to be good. This surprises me as I had no troubles with the main transmission connector, however they come from different manufacturers. The main connector went together quite easily and I have no reason at this point to question its integrity.

Pin#2 is common
Pin#1 is Reverse
Pins #4 and 5 are the Park/Neutral interlock contacts
Pin#6 is Park
Pin#9 is Neutral
Pin#7 is Drive
Pin#3
Pin#8 is Low

The switch off the 5 speed, P/N 84540-51010 with connector housing P/N 90980-11784 ( http://www.toyotapart.com/90980-11784.html ) appears to me to be a good upgrade with considerably larger contacts inside the connector. The logic diagram is identical although the pin designations are different. Physically the switches look nearly the same and appear to have the same mount and travel distance. Better yet, I have an unmolested factory connector with a couple feet of wire attached and am getting good continuity to the switch. I'm thinking the smart move is to use this one, it should be more reliable in the long run. Provided the new connector is not too wide to fit alongside the transmission case. The stock switch is P/N -71010 and uses connector body P/N -12362.

Edit: the 5 speed switch does fit the AA80E without interference. However, I was able to finally get continuity through the original connector so I will try it once more before giving up on it just to make parts matching a little easier for any future need. It's good to have a back-up plan.

Jim

Last edited:
Jim, it's often the way when dealing with these old parts...... Looks like you made a wise choice.