Project Thread SC400T (Lextreme's Version)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Sounds good Steve... Curious? Why do you think the turbo will help you with off the line performance?...Isn't the spool up time going cause some lag at idle? I would think that setup would still create sluggishness like stock conditions at launch with the continued use of the stock torque converter in combination with a single turbo setup......Am I mistaken?
No, you're not mistaken. But there's actually a way to launch the car a little more faster if the stock T.C. rate is low. It's when you have the gear in "D", pressing the brake hard, and revving the RPM up to about 2000. And when the car starts to pull forward, you release brake and "voila". It's similar like raising the T.C. rate to a little higher. However, it's not recommended because the stock T.C. might break due to the stress. With a higher stall speed T.C., then it's a lot better and safer.

The turbo that I'm using has a somewhat mild (not too big, but not too small) compressor housing, therefore, I don't think I'll have any lag at all. I've used to build turbos on Hondas and I only had lag from really big turbos, not from the mild ones. If I put this turbo on a Honda, then yes, it'll have some lags. But for a near double engine displacement, then it won't. I think David's LS does not lag as much as before, because he had some minor tuning lately. I think James's SC doesn't have any lag at all, because the turbos were sized perfectly for the engine from the factory.

We spent about two hours today and we got about 90% done. The system is pretty simple and workable. We used 2 1.5" tight radius mild steel U bends. We cut them into halves along with an additional cut to finish them off to mate with the 10" 2.5" mild steel straight pipe.

We had to the the 2.5" pipe to a local muffler shop to burn some holes into it. The 2.5" then mate with few 90 degree bends along with a 45 degree bend where it mate with a T4 flange.

After done the basic tag weld Steve took it to a professional welder to finish it off. Here are some pictures:

IMG_0575.jpgIMG_0578.jpg
IMG_0580.jpgIMG_0589.jpg
IMG_0590.jpgIMG_0591.jpg

Attachments

• de_1.jpg
    de_1.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0575.jpg
    IMG_0575.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0580.jpg
    IMG_0580.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0590.jpg
    IMG_0590.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 0
Am I seeing correctly? Did you guys pull the engine to size up the exhaust and to help with the mounting and fitment of the single turbo? I see the engine with the pipes on a stand...Just wondering why? Is that really necessary?

Steve, brake torqueing for launch is doable but not practical...It will work but when racing it seems a little funny to me to see someone brake torqueing like crazy just before the light turns green.....Anyway, if it gets the turbo's working so be it...Do it with pride and waste the competition...

Let me know when you are done with this project, I want to come see your boosted ride...Steve, just wondering what you did with my torque converter?...I thought you may have sent it into Lextreme for recalibration of the stall rate? Just wondering...

I'm already hearing the blow-off valve with the "Whoosh..." working on my car from 10 miles away. Everyday, I hear it getting closer and closer. I got 99% of parts including fuel pump, FMU, wastegate...etc. already, except a few more pipes for the rest of the exhaust system. Most ready-made turbo kits or supercharger kits out there only bolt up to the stock exhaust system.

Thanks to David for his help. I can tell he is a design engineer...:approve: He knows what he does for sure.

John,
David has a spare but 1000 hp engine outside. So that helps us to mock up and weld the pipes a lot easier. Brake torqueing sounds funny, but it's used to race for some people, either at the tracks or on the streets. It makes the car taking off a lot quicker than at low RPM. I still have your torque converter waiting for the turbo to be completed. And then it'll be sent out for a rebuild. The reason is I'd like to know exactly how the stock SC perform with a more powerful engine. One convenience of the turbo over your NOS is that you don't have to refill the bottle after the runs. In the long run, a NOS system costs more than a turbo system due to the expensive refills.

When I went to the muffler shop today, I saw a kind of new turbo 911 Porche. The owner is swapping in a hi-performance muffler. It looks very strange to me. I wish that I brought the camera. Anyway, I really wanted to ask him for a race if I had the turbo already working. I think the 911 only has about 415 hp. There's another VIP GS400 guy over there. I tried to talk him into turbocharging or supercharging his GS, but he insisted on swapping with a Supra TT engine.

Steve,

Don't forget we got help from my son too. LOL.... He is only 3.5 years old.....
I can predict he'll be a real racer with a human anatomy knowledge. I can't believe he knows the names and locations of all the human body parts. That's how he'll blend in the shape and movements of the racer with the car.

Jibbby,

Steve using my SC470TT engine for mocking. I can make you one too... How does GT35R sound?

A GT35R Sounds wonderful to me!!!! So does a nice supercharger setup!!!!!...Let me know if you can give this white boy a hand after Stevey..I am just itching to get boosted...

Don't know what I would do with my S&S Headers and Nos system but oh well...Money wasted I guess...

Steve, received and understood...Becareful racing those 911 turbo's I have not beat one yet..New 911's are very quick and light in weight cars...You will get wasted...You will need atleast 400-500whp to take one of those in an SC...Just my opinion...A non turbo might be a closer race... Oh and if it is a curved road race forget about it as those Porche's handle like there on rails....

John,
If you turbocharge your SC, then you may be able to keep the SS headers. You'll run the turbo pipes after the headers. It's easy to keep 1 header. It might need a lot more work if you'll keep both headers. You may still either keep the NOS or ditch it to make it more simpler in the fuel/timing setup. Or if you decide to go for a centrifugal supercharger, you'll keep your custom exhaust system. You'll have better performance than those with only the supercharger setup.

I know a stock turbo SC can't keep up with the 911 on curved roads, but there've been sereval Japanese SCs that run with all kinds of other cars at the professional tracks. I believe they're heavily customed in weight and suspension systems. Regards to handling, I still missed 1 of my Hondas. It handled around curves like a hot knife cutting butter. It's smooth, quick, balance, and crisp. It gave me the feeling of the roads. I drove around the entrance and existing freeway ramps at 60-70 mph with no problems.

Sorry for flaking out on guys this sat. I feel terrible about it. When steve call me and I was still at home depot buying materials it fix my house. Anyways, is the project still continue this coming weeken??

That's ok, James. I cried the whole time.....One portion of the cut pipes flew from the saw and hit my ankle. :eek:uch: The project will be "My Solo" for the next weekend. Today, I've just removed both front brake system, but I got to retrieve inside the house because it's freezing outside. I hope I can remove all of the lower control arms, the crossmembers, and the exhaust next Saturday. If it's on schedule, I should be able to do some more piping on Sunday. It's a tough job because it requires a lot of crawling and wrenching under the car.

John,
If you turbocharge your SC, then you may be able to keep the SS headers. You'll run the turbo pipes after the headers. It's easy to keep 1 header. It might need a lot more work if you'll keep both headers. You may still either keep the NOS or ditch it to make it more simpler in the fuel/timing setup. Or if you decide to go for a centrifugal supercharger, you'll keep your custom exhaust system. You'll have better performance than those with only the supercharger setup.

I know a stock turbo SC can't keep up with the 911 on curved roads, but there've been sereval Japanese SCs that run with all kinds of other cars at the professional tracks. I believe they're heavily customed in weight and suspension systems. Regards to handling, I still missed 1 of my Hondas. It handled around curves like a hot knife cutting butter. It's smooth, quick, balance, and crisp. It gave me the feeling of the roads. I drove around the entrance and existing freeway ramps at 60-70 mph with no problems.

I hear you Steve in regards to salvaging my headers.. I really don't care either way as long as I get the desired power I am after......I can always unload them curtousy of Ebay...

In regards to the handling cars, that Honda you speak of sounds exactly like a 911 Porsche....I have drove one hard and they grip the road like crazy, the one I drove was AWD C4 Porchse and man did that car corner...Very light, very fast, but had the feel of a lowered go-cart...I barely fit in it too...That was probably the fastest car I have ever drove and most expensive too...Well maybe the Z06 was faster but I was not able to roast it while on a test drive...

wow this single turbo project looks like it's coming along really well! It doesn't look like it costs that much either. I might have to start saving my $$$

Hey Steve,

Should we hang out at your place this Sunday? After turbo done we can get some CSD.
You're welcome to go and help me out on removing all the parts under the car. That'll take some hours for sure. I don't know about CSD because we might all get dirty and oily, and I want to look nice and clean in front of the beautiful women...LOL. :Eyecrazy: