Destruction of Thrown Rods

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Stock engines do this with out boost. Ive seen it in Corollas. I installed a TRD blower on 3.4 Tundra(never quite understood that customer). The factory system is supposed to compensate. It is only a 6 psi kit. A lean out condition and detonation would have just blown a hole in a piston.

Maybe the ultra high cylinder pressure was too much for the rod and not the piston, but I dont think so. Are there holes in the pistons too?

I love carnage.

It Looks Like That Block Was A 250hp Stock Motor With A 150hp Nos Shot, That Ingine Should Not Have Blown The Rods And Pistons Can Take Close To 500hp As Witnessed On My Sc400. Nervous At Times When That Nos Bottle Is Heated And Juiced Up, Never Know When Engine Destruction Could Happen I Am Pushing Those Stock Rods And Pistons. 6 Months No Problems With Internal Parts To Date. That Must Have Been A Problem With Tuning Fuel/air Ratio Or Something That Caused That Ka Boom!

Don't Post Those Pic's They Make Me Nervous.

John

OK, the straight scoop

Time to put this thing to bed. I'm Wayne and the pics are of my 2003 4.7, at this point in time, titled Tundra Soup. Many thanks, Lex, for trying to explain this thing, and I will take it from here. For you folks who are guessing, never seen the inside of a 2uzfe, etc., etc., here is the skinny.

2003 Tundra 4X4, 4.7 approx 5000 lbs curb weight w/driver and junk. TRD supercharger running 9 lbs of boost w/piggyback computer and 2 extra fuel injectors. Normal is 6 lbs, however I installed an AFT oversized crank pulley, hence, the 9 lbs of boost vice 6. Methanol injection set to come in at 4 lbs of boost to take care of possible detonation because of the increase in boost caused by the oversized crank pulley. IPT transmission valve body that so far, has taken everything I can throw at it. Ran the snot out of the truck with just the Supercharger and ran exceptionally well.....pulled plugs (iridium 2 steps colder than normal) every so often and they looked great. Plenty of fuel, (in fact, on the rich side) because I am running a Supra TT fuel pump rather than stock. Many a pass down the eighth mile, all in the 9.90 to 9.94 range.

Now the rest of the story.....decided it wasn't fast enough, so installed NX 50 - 150 hp Nitrous system, single shark nozzle. Installed NOS progressive nitrous controller for a number of reasons, not the least of which is to ease into the nitrous as opposed to the sudden bang. Ran a number of times with the 50, 100, 125 hp shot. Pulled plugs and looked good. Ran well. Started running the 150 shot and had about 30 runs before she let go. Still plenty of fuel, plugs looked good and ran traction-limited 8.20's to 8.30's in the eighth. That figures out to around 12.85/95 in the quarter.....not many stock hot rods will do that and it sure is fun to whoop 'em. Did it one time too many.....hence the results you see in the pics. No magic, guys....do the math: 5000 lbs at 8.20 ET to weight calculations say in the neighborhood of 558 hp at the flywheel and around 473 at the rear wheel (approximate but close). This is on cast pistons and little, bitty, skinny cast rods with a great forged crank. Just isn't designed to take that kind of abuse and was never intended to. I say again, you don't have to try and out-guess this deal, it blew up, the rods and pistons failed because they ain't made for it. End of story! But it shore was fun while it lasted!!!!!

More fun to come: Custom made Ross forged pistons w/pins and moly rings, Eagle forged small block Chevy Rods w/ARP l-19 rod bolts, OEM forged crank, modified 4.7 cast iron block (no, not the same one, D-u-u-u-u-u-h-h-h-h.....) to take the 1uzfe 6-bolt main caps and some other goodies. Betcha it doesn't fall apart again!!!!...
icon_surprised.gif
) My thanks go out to Lextreme and this web site for assisting me with the knowledge and hard parts to put together a killer 2uzfe.

Now the best part....all you naysayers, second-guessers and smack-talkers get up off the bucks and commit to Lextreme (aka Lex) for the next custom Ross piston group buy so we can get our engines back together. Who knows, you might be able to destroy your engine too!!!!!!!! By the way Lex, we are harder than woodpecker lips on this site!!!!!!!!!! Here's hopin' y'all have a GREAT one!!!

Best Regards,
Wayne

Wayne,

Thank you for the kind words. I sorry for your head and heart aches, but this is a perfect example of 2uzfe and 3uzfe trying to handle boost. The 2 and 3uzfe motors are not meant for boost. I am glad you are here and share your heart pounding story. Thanks to you and hopefully some 2 and 3zufe owners can learn. If you guys are think about supercharging or turbocharging your engine more than 12-15 psi. Please consider new pistons and rods. The ring lands are the weakest part of the piston in Lexus and Toyota V8 motors and skinny rods was not meant for boost. Because of the weak rods in 2UZFE, TRD stop making those supercharger kit. We are having a group buy right now and we highly encourage you jump and get a set.......

Hey Lowboost,

My humble opinion is the 1uzfe rods will take a lot more than the 2 and 3uzfe rods, however, you are still constricted by the oem cast pistons. My failure looks like a combination of both the rods and pistons. Unable to determine which let go first, but suffice to say, both are not up to the task. Recommend you go with the forged rods/pistons as the best combo, however, if you can't get both, at least get the forged pistons to go with the 1uzfe rods. The crank will take it....I have proven that much at least. Good luck...

Wayne

Here is a 3uzfe piston with 1uzfe rod. This combination would work on 2uzfe piston and 1uzfe rod too. All the rods specs are the same size except the grith. They are all interchangeable.
3uz%20022.jpg

So the 2uz-fe blew running 9psi with a supercharger, and a 150 nitrous shot... That is alot of juice on a stock 2uz..motor... Not wise... I would bet the 150 nitrous jolt threw the rod... Nitrous doesn't come on easy, it comes on hard...

He should have used a 1uz-fe motor for that kind of abuse....:tongue1:

Does anyone know how much whp is produced with 9psi on a supercharged 2uz-fe + (100whp) which would be the 150 shot of nitrous?...I am trying to figure out how much power that motor was putting out when it popped. I am thinking around 500-550whp...

Continuing from my above post -

I am also wondering if that motor was tuned and timed correctly...It gets a bit touch and go when combining boost and 150 nitrous shots...A lean fuel mix and lack of retart timing at high rpms could cause that to happen, rather then just raw power....

Jibby,

All the calculations I come up with come in around 512-520 Hp at the flywheel. Based on truck weighing 5350, 1/8 et of 8.20 or 1/4 et of 12.79.

Wayne

Jibby,

I had posted answers to the same questions a number of times, but it has been so long that I can't remember if it was here or on Tundrasolutions...so here goes:

Was running a TRD piggyback that was designed for the TRD SC, so I can only assume it was taking out the right amount of timing under boost. I had another box taking out 6 more degrees of timing to accomodate the nitrous shot. Wide-band O2 system stayed around 12.5 (although 11.5 to 12 would have been more safe, 12.5 isn't exactly lean) fuel pressure was around 52 psi. Have a nitrous controller that was set to come in from 0 to 100% over a 2.5 second time frame, 93 octane gas and alcohol injection. Never heard any detonation, and of course, I'm presuming the knock sensors were working.

Had about 23/25 runs on it before it let go....like I said before, after seeing the carnage, I'm totally convinced that motor is not made for that kind of stuff. Especially for that kind of weight.

However, the new motor is....:eek:) just haven't had time to fool around with it yet....

Wayne