running stock ecu without stock afm????

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

R-Jay

hey guys, is it possible to run the stock ecu without the stock AFM???

maybe use a different afm and a pulse/voltage adjuster to imitate the factory part... is it possible????

i'm only thinking about this because of how near impossible it is to find a 1uz AFM for sale....

no wreckers want to remove them from their halfcuts, and all the ones for sale privately are bought out by the 7mgte supra guys using them for upgrades....

the only problem i see with this possible setup is the stock ecu will crap itself and start spitting out error codes and possible go into limp mode...

anyhow, anyone know???

cheers

You can if you have a piggy back that will read MAP signal. Split Second can make u a unit that will read 3 Bar map. In that case you dont need AFM.

well i have a few 2jzgte map sensors lying around which i could easily plumb into the plenum.... and i can use a Greddy E-Manage to piggyback (cause it's cheap) the signal, or i could even go cheaper and use a Jaycar (only aussies will know this one) digital pulse adjuster kit to modify the voltage signal that is sent to the stock ecu...

when it comes down to basics, i think both map and afm sensors work the same... they just have varying voltage outputs depending on how much air/pressure they measure.... in which case, a pulse adjuster will do the trick and will cost peanuts...

i can get the kit with handcontroller (used to tune) for a little over 100 bux.... using a map sensor i already have, it would cost a total of around $150 AUD installed and tuned on the fly (more for on a dyno)... still, that works out to be alot less than buying a new factory AFM (i don't know how much they cost and dont want to try guessing either).

ill tell u what i tell everyone else

you have to consuder the outcomes of tryin to bypass the prob

i know its hard to find afm

but ask around try get people to bring one in

to do an emanage with map sensor

and 150 buks for a tune i would pressume the tune would be rough

if the tune is 10% out you will waste over 200 to 400 bucks in fuel a year if not tuned perfect

the tune on a 1uz is so good in std form

just think about how much it will cost u in the long run

aftermarket ecus are good but for economy and smoothness u cant go past keepin it std

unless yr want big power out of it
try to keep it all std

i think you will not like it if u fit map sensors and emange etc to it

and i dont know how good the tune will be for 150 bucks

i know for a very good dyno tune you expect to pay 400 to 600 bucks

MAP sensors and the Airflow meter (AFM) used on the 1uz-fe operate on different principles and have different outputs. The AFM is of the Karman-Vortex type. Inside the AFM a pillar in the airflow creates vortices or turbulence (as seen behind fighter jets),and these cause a thin metal foil (mirror) to vibrate. An LED and phototransistor are focused on the mirror and detect the vibration by the light beam being broken as the mirror moves.The phototransistor switches the voltage on and off to the ECU which counts the number of pulses for a given time (ie the frequency.) So, the more airflow, the greater the turbulence, and the higher the frequency sent to the ECU.The programme in the ECU converts the input frequency to a given airflow and uses this for further calculations for fuel delivery- all very clever.The problem is we don't know what the frequency is for a given airflow and rpm. Perhaps this could be mapped on a dyno? Then maybe a voltage to frequency converter could be placed between the MAP sensor and ECU allowing the AFM to be removed. The AFM is a restrictive device and I would love to be able to remove it. The AFM also contains the Airtemp sensor used by the ECU in air density calculations.

Deuce, very informative... and heck, you're from the Alice? hehe.... didn't think there was anything out there....

anyhow, my intentions were to map the voltage/frequencies on the dyno with my mate's v8 soarer... but as it works out, i dont have to....

quad cams is now supplying me with an afm, so it's all good.

R Jay
I see that Quad Cams is organising an AFM for you. Do you still need me to get one to you?
By the way, empty your old private messages out of your inbox. I t won't accept any new ones.
Brett

Last edited by a moderator:
Cobra, sorry for not informing you earlier. Thanks for your help but i think i will be ok for now... and my inbox is cleared now