RE - Starting Issue 1UZ-FE - Fuel Pump?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

hz350

Hi All,

First post up here tonight, but been reading a while now.

Recently picked up a Celsior front cut which I heard running at the yard, and have since got it home and wanted to start it.

I hooked up the battery, and a fuel pump (for carby engines) from a jerry can, but she won't start.

Cranks fine, just as if it were getting no fuel.

There are three 5/16 pipes on the passenger side floor that the guy at the yard hooked his fuel in to. - Assumed one for fuel in, one for fuel return and something else?

No matter where I feed fuel in, I get no fuel out for the return. This being the case, I assume fuel delivery is my issue.

Do I need a specific high pressure fuel pump to start this baby? I have heard that carby fuel pumps generally run up to 5PSI and EFI pumps can run up to 35PSI???

The guy at the yard didn't seem to have anything special about his fuel pump...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

BTW, I hope for my 1UZ-FE to go into my HZ one tonner - it currently has a 350 Chev... A long time project that will stay for while yet... no matter how many times I decide to do something different to it! :)

Cheers,

Adam :)

You'll need a pump suitable for a fuel injection setup. A carby pump won't cut it.

You need around 3 bar pressure.

Thanks cribbj.

I suspected this might be the case. Tomorrow morning, I'm on the hunt for a Bosch 070... that should get things going! :)

Cheers,

hz350 :)
I went through this last week. Same issue, same solution, same advice, same forum!
On my Crown 1/2 cut there is two fuel pipes under the left floor: the lower of the two is the fuel line, the upper one is the return line. Easiest way to tell is to connect your CARBY fuel pump up to one of the lines, and gently loosen the fuel union under the bonnet going TO the fuel pulsation limiter (on the left hand side fuel rail). if you get fuel coming out at the join, that's the right pipe.
If you use a high pressure pump it will open the pulsation damer and there'll be fuel everywhere!
When I was ready to start the engine, I got a VL Commy pump for $25 at the local wreckers. Worked VERY well.