R154 Selector Problems

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Quadcob

Has any one had trouble selecting 1st, 3rd and 5th in R154 gearbox. I took the car for a short drive this morning and everything was fine until I came to a round about, selected 3rd gear OK, accelerated then selected 4th OK and around 100kph went to select 5th, but couldn't. As I was neutral and the car was slowing down I then tried to select 3rd or 4th but couldn't. Pulled over the side of the road and tried again, but only could get 2nd, 4th and reverse.
When I got home I tried again, no luck. Even reversed up the driveway and tried again, as before no luck.
I though the nylon bush at the end of the gear lever might have come off. Pulled out the gear lever and the bush was still clipped around the ball at the end of the gear lever.
If I can fix this while the gearbox is in the car it would be great. If the gearbox has to come out I will have to pull the motor and gearbox together which is something I would like to avoid.

Any information would be great.

Warren

I suspect your first gear thrust washer has gone.
When this happens it allows the main shaft to slide slightly forward or back (cant remember which) and mucks up gear selection.
Personally I would remove and disassemble it.
If this is what has happened there will be fragments washing around in the box and further damage will occur rapidly if you drive it.
Cheers.

The gearbox was reconditioned about 2500klm ago, which was almost 3 years due to length of the project.
If the main shaft moved wouldn't it also effect 2nd and 4th?
I will drain out the oil this weekend and have a look for metal.
This afternoon I had another look at the selector shaft and the amount it moves.
It looks as though the selector only moves about half the distance if measured from the from neutral position as should before it stops.

Warren