Question Valve stem seals

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

steveblade_uk

I started rebuilding my cylinder heads today and Ive run into a problem. Looks like my gasket set has got some odd valve stem seals mixed up in it. Question is are the inlet and exhaust valve stem seals the same, im sure they are and my kit is wrong. Looks like I need a new set anyway.

Stem seals

David thats a very good in depth guide on valve stem seal replacement. This site has so much info it will take me months to get through it all, ive used the compressed air trick many times. The reason for my question was if you look at the picture I thought just maybe there was a difference between inlet seals and exhaust seals but on closer inspection it looks like the ones on the right have the wrong shape retaining ring inside the seal so they wont lock onto the valve guide correctly otherwise they are the same. Only good point is at least I spotted it while rebuilding and not after!!

Cant attach the pic its 1.36MB ill have to try getting some pics hosted

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w14/steveblade_uk/IMG00016.jpg

After trying to remove one Im in two minds. Are there seperate and different inlet and exhaust stem seals anyone? The valve guide at the cam side of the head looks to be identical so why would the stem seal be a different shape???

I thought they were but I didnt want to go screaming at the supplier that he screwed up just yet till I was sure. I didnt read your first link from start to finish but I guess its in there some where. This is going to set me back a week or two till I get replacements ;o(

Yep too right

Ill be making a list of stuff to add to my order for head studs and nuts. The supplier (from US) has been very good so far but this shouldn't happen realy. Although I realise he's just a middle man I hate to rip into him when its not his balls up. I prefure him to kick his suppliers ass than me his lol. I was hoping to have both heads ready to bolt back to the block tomorrow, thats not going to happen now :eek:(

Just got mail and replacements are on the way on Monday so maybe a week behind, good things come to those who wait EVENTUALY!

According to my lexus parts guy the 1uz uses the same valve stem seal on exhaust and intake.
FYI the 1uz retainer is 1 gram lighter than the 2jz retainer. 10 vs 11

Yeah thats what David (lex) had told me. Ive also got a sneaking suspicion that there the same as quite a few other Toyota engines as they use the same valve diameter. Ill check this out in the near future and let you guys know what I find out. Red Supra does the 2jz use the same single groove in the valve stem for the retaining collets?

Red Supra does the 2jz use the same single groove in the valve stem for the retaining collets?
Sure does, here a bad picture comparing the valves. 1uz intake valve on the left, 2jz intake valve in the center and chevy big block valve on the right

thread resurrection! I got a gasket set here and it has 16 intake seals and 16 exhaust seals. Now I need to tell which are the intake and the exhaust seals. I checked EPC and the following was clear (LS400 as a reference)

UCF10 8911-9008 32x 90913-02066
UCF10 9008-9408 32x 90913-02085
UCF10 9408-9410 32x 90913-02090
UCF20 9410-9608 32x 90913-02090
UCF20 9608-9707 16x 90913-02090 (Intake) 16x 90913-02106 (exhaust)

So for the last years of the UCF20 (not counting the VVTi as that started 9707), the V8 blocks have different seals on the intake and the exhaust. Now the question: How do you tell the difference between the two as they look very much alike!

Also interesting detail: 02090 is used on the intake side of the 3S-GTE and the 02106 is used on the intake(!) side of the 2jz-gte.

Arnout, PM LEX. He will know for sure. He put me on the right path with same problem.

Its been a while since I worked on the 1uzfe, we have been busy with modifing the 3vzfe in my ST185 celica.

Im going to be ordering some more parts soon for the 1uz.

Lextreme all the way! :biggthumpup: Best prices and all great quality.

We have had some very nice results from porting and flowing the 1uzfe heads as well as 3vzfe, the port design is very similar.

Now I've got a question. Valve stem seals from Toyota cost a pretty penny. $3.30 at a deep discount online dealership, in fact. For each!
Viton valve stem seals are included with generic Chinese eBay 1UZ gasket packs that can be acquired for $80 including shipping. So how good are the non-Toyota valve seals?

Not worth the risk when you can get a full set of viton stem seals for 1uz right here for $35. Do the job right first time and you'll only have to do it once.

Thats just over 1 dollar US each !

Changing valves seals can be such a PITA, and you only have to do it once every 100K or so, that I'd go ahead and pay the price for the OEM stuff, or a quality aftermarket brand like Felpro, etc.

I'd be wary of the no-name ones in the eBay gasket sets.

Not worth the risk when you can get a full set of viton stem seals for 1uz right here for $35. Do the job right first time and you'll only have to do it once.

Thats just over 1 dollar US each !
Right where? Hmm..

Changing valves seals can be such a PITA, and you only have to do it once every 100K or so, that I'd go ahead and pay the price for the OEM stuff, or a quality aftermarket brand like Felpro, etc.

I'd be wary of the no-name ones in the eBay gasket sets.

Hi John, the Fel-Pro costs about $80 from AutoZone so that's a no go.