Project Thread Project SC400TT

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Yes... i was waiting to give a really good write up...Since this site is so much more of a high level, high performance site, I did not want to bore you guys with the many logistical challenges I have faced...My car is now at the third shop since I started this project...I fired the previous one recently when I saw the completed header monstrosity he had created, and that he insisted would work well...Plus, it took him over 5 months to even get to that point...Good news is that I did not have to pay him. He agreed to let me have my car back, and all my parts without any problems...He is a good guy, but not a good FI fabricator. I am on my way to the third shop to take a few pics and deliver the new flanges for the headers he is making...I had previously borrowed a set of S&S headers to mock up a few ideas, and to see first hand, a well engineered set of headers for our cars...They helped alot, and gave us a few new ideas. My car has been at the new shop about a week, and since he was waiting for the new flanges, he could not get too much done...But, he did remove the front bumper and mount the intercooler, plus he re-routed much of the wiring on the drivers side so that they would not be so subject to the heat from the new headers he is designing. BTW, for any of you guys wanting flanges for the 1UZ, the shop I got to make them asked me if he could make extra sets off of my gasket so that he could sell them on his ebay store, so now you can get flanges for a great price...mine are 3/8ths mild steel. The new headers will be mild steel, ceramic coated. Will keep you posted and pics to come...When the project is done, I will post up the detailed write up and dyno results here first...I owe David Phan that, plus I told him I would do that, so I will keep my word. Plus, David helped me quite a bit in the early stages of this project.

Here's a few pics of the car in it's current shop and the intercooler pre-mount...

Intercooler_mounted.jpg
Intercooler_mounted_2.JPG

Little_space.jpg

Ryan

I like the bar n plate intercooler ryan, and the dual inlet in the bottom, and I'm assuming single outlet on top.
Very nice peice, n design.

I need to change mine from a tube n fin, to bar n plate cause of the HP the motor is making.
My intercooler is 32x24x3, and is only rated to flow enough air for 600-650HP

Now a bar n plate is more effecent, but is that intercooler going to support the 900HP your looking to make?

Attachments

• 340i nov 05 004.jpg
    340i nov 05 004.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 340i nov 05 012.jpg
    340i nov 05 012.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 12
rdm20fan said:
I like the bar n plate intercooler ryan, and the dual inlet in the bottom, and I'm assuming single outlet on top.

I need to change mine from a tube n fin, to bar n plate cause of the HP the motor is making.

Now a bar n plate is more effecent, but is that intercooler going to support the 900HP your looking to make?
Bob, thanks for the kudos...By itself, it should handle 550 to 650 HP or so, maybe a little more depending upon tuning. Remember, the 900 HP decision came later, not with the original design, and 900+ HP is really only for the dyno numbers, certainly not for daily driving. I will drive the car around with the boost set for approximately 600 or so WHP. I haven't made a final decision yet, but to boost beyond that HP, I wil either make a new and larger intercooler, or add alcohol injection. Probably alcohol...

BTW, did you change your number? I have been totally unable to reach you for a very long time by phone...

Ryan

Attachments

• 510 whp.JPG
    510 whp.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 510 whp2.JPG
    510 whp2.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 8
have you decided on a computer yet?
how thick is the core you are using?
having a core sitting top to bottom like that i don't see how it won't be good over 800whp.
the car that I'm working on. its cooler core size is 28.3 wide 12" high and 3" thick(top to bottom).
this core would handle 1000whp no worries.
what size injectors are you going to run?
we'll be running 8x1000cc injectors, and 2xbosch 044 fuel pumps.

Turbo4L said:
have you decided on a computer yet?
Yes I have, Split Second Piggyback ECU with external MAP sensor...

how thick is the core you are using?
3 inches...

having a core sitting top to bottom like that i don't see how it won't be good over 800whp.
I am confident it will handle more than 650 HP, but I have to test it and see...

the car that I'm working on. its cooler core size is 28.3 wide 12" high and 3" thick(top to bottom).
this core would handle 1000whp no worries.
Mine is similar to yours in size and dimension...I will have to measure it again, as I do not remember all the dexact dimensions...

what size injectors are you going to run?
we'll be running 8x1000cc injectors, and 2xbosch 044 fuel pumps.
Running eight additional injectors, 550cc...The stock injectors will remain. 2 WALBRO fuel pumps...

Ryan

Its good to see someone having a good go at turboing the V8.
I'm keep to see how it all turns out.
i would have thought that the turbo's you are running 2871's? you wouldn't be able to get to 900whp.
I'm sure you may have mentioned that before.

Are you running the stock intake plenum or are you doing a custom one?

Cheers

Here is a pic of the new flanges...These are made with 1 3/4" ID ports...Mine are a different set with slightly smaller ports, 1 5/8"...We are a week behind because I had to wait for the 1 5/8" flanges...Made good progress today...three of the 4 primaries were cut and welded this afternoon. If all goes well, the headers will be completed next week and sent to the coater for high heat Ceramic Coating...Sorry guys, no pics of the headers until the project is complete, but I will post up pics of other parts of the project as it completes. These headers are special, and will be jigged so that they can be made again, and again for either V8 SC400's or V8 Supra's.

New_Flanges.jpg

Getting excited...

BTW guys, anybody that wants flanges like these, whatever size ports you want, you can get these all day long, as many as you want. They are scanned into a Cad machine and Laser cut. I am not selling these, I am not a vendor, just know where you can get them...

Ryan

Turbo4L said:
Its good to see someone having a good go at turboing the V8.
I'm keep to see how it all turns out.
i would have thought that the turbo's you are running 2871's? you wouldn't be able to get to 900whp.
I'm sure you may have mentioned that before.

Are you running the stock intake plenum or are you doing a custom one?

Cheers
Custom plenum...

Headers will flow more than enough to make that power, Depending on tuning and efficiency, may have to swap out the turbos for bigger ones to get to that power...Again, the project goals grew after it's start, mainly because it has taken so long to get this done. If the power and torque are close to my goals will probably not swap them out. Just have to wait and see....

Ryan

rdm20fan said:

Bob:

I contacted the engineer at Bell and he informed me that my intercooler will have no problem in handling up to 650 RWHP. Which is well within the original goals I ahd set up of 500 RWHP. I have done a little more investigation, and I have decided that I am going with Water Injection instead of alcohol. It will give me much more efficiency, and I do not have to augment my intercooler to spend money on an intercooler that will only occasionally go higher than 650 RWHP.

Ryan

I saw the driver's side header today...Pure sweetness...They are looking quite well. he should finish it up tomorrow, and then start on the passenger side. 4 into 1 is the design.

Ryan

SC400TT said:
Bob:

I contacted the engineer at Bell and he informed me that my intercooler will have no problem in handling up to 650 RWHP. Which is well within the original goals I ahd set up of 500 RWHP. I have done a little more investigation, and I have decided that I am going with Water Injection instead of alcohol. It will give me much more efficiency, and I do not have to augment my intercooler to spend money on an intercooler that will only occasionally go higher than 650 RWHP.

Ryan
650rw is around 800 at the crank with the Auto. It is very hard for me to belive that that intercooler is going to flow enough air for 800hp, let alone cool it.
I don't think a water/alcohol injection system is a good idea on the stock manifold, unless you do injection into each runner.
Cylinder 3 & 5 are are going to get lots of water/Alcohol, and cylinders 4 & 6 are going to get very little. the manifold is designed to flow air, not a liquid.
I have a feeling the heavier liquid will flow straight into the side wall, and go down runners 3 & 5
The later front inlet would be better, but the rear cylinders would still get more water then the front.

just jumped on the wagon

my only question is if you still plan on producing the kit? as i been reading it is really hard to get a clear thought of where you are going ; i'm routting for you 2 finish your project.but, single turbo to twin turbo! your making the kit more expensive if you make it. will the trans. hold aLL that power without burning it out? what about the aero dynamics on the body for stability in high speeds? have you considered that to top off you master peice in progress? i guess i'm going crazy. i want to see you come out on top with you Toyota Soare V8 Turbo.

p.s don't be mad at dave he wants 2 help, he seems to be a cool kat, he did start this M.B. i haven't meet him even though we live in the same town.

water injection

i wanted to get one of those water or methenol spray kits for my SC400. my question is will it work with a turbo set-up and might it help with mpg's for a turbo fuel comsumtion???????

:shrug: i know what everyone is thinking why do you care about mpg's if your going 2 turbo;but, if you are going to use it as a daily driver you don't want it 2 go from full to empty in 4.5 seconds flat.

thanks guys ,i hope you get a quick chuckel from my question. later ryan.

Hey robbie, not to rob ryan's post, but no the trans will not handle the power increase. the trans needs to be upgraded.
to answer your question about fuel mileage, is do not install a turbo/supercharger if this is your worry. my gas mileage has probably cut in 1/2 or more.
can you make a setup a little more efficent, sure, but there is a formula for the amount of fuel that is required to make power. if you want more power, you need more fuel.

rdm20fan said:
Hey robbie, not to rob ryan's post, but no the trans will not handle the power increase. the trans needs to be upgraded.
to answer your question about fuel mileage, is do not install a turbo/supercharger if this is your worry. my gas mileage has probably cut in 1/2 or more.
can you make a setup a little more efficent, sure, but there is a formula for the amount of fuel that is required to make power. if you want more power, you need more fuel.
i know that about the fuel and the turbo;but , what i wanted to know if there was a more fuel efficent turbo kit that's what i find most interesting. if not with water or methanol injection then how???????? what a tornado fuel saver in a turbo hahahahhahaha.i want 2 add more power.but, the thought of paying the oil companies more money kills me.

rdm20fan said:
650rw is around 800 at the crank with the Auto. It is very hard for me to belive that that intercooler is going to flow enough air for 800hp, let alone cool it.
I don't think a water/alcohol injection system is a good idea on the stock manifold, unless you do injection into each runner.
Cylinder 3 & 5 are are going to get lots of water/Alcohol, and cylinders 4 & 6 are going to get very little. the manifold is designed to flow air, not a liquid.
I have a feeling the heavier liquid will flow straight into the side wall, and go down runners 3 & 5
The later front inlet would be better, but the rear cylinders would still get more water then the front.
Thanks for the input Bob...At this point, we will just have to wait and see...The car will be done in a matter of weeks, and I will do my tuning and final set up on Stage 1 and then Dyno it. What I get is what I get.

As far as the concern for 800 HP, at this point, I am not even concerned...I just want a well running turbo V8 Lexus...This car has been off the road for 14 months...So if I only make 400 at the crank, that is 400 more than I have now...I appreciate your concerns Bob, but quite frankly, at this time, I am not in the least concerned about what HP I might possibly make on this car, or is this intercooler big enough for my projected gains, or this water injection going to work, or name some more if you want. If you are qiuestioning if I know what I doing, I will tell you this, when I sarted this, it was only a dream, and I knew nothing. Now, I know a whole lot more than I knew when I started. Can I learn more? Absolutely. Do I know everything? No. Is my design right? I hope so.

I appreciate your input, but first, I want this car running, second, tuned, and then how much power after.

Ryan

rdm20fan said:
Good answer Bob...:veryhappy

Ryan