Project Thread Project SC400TT

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Are you willing to pay the government to let your car pass? LOL. BMW paid a lot of money to the government to get it approved. :hypnotized: It's the same as some aftermarket hi-performance auto part companies like Vortechsupercharger and AEM..etc that paid the government agencies to pass their products. However, if you use other companies' products or build your own system, yours isn't 50 state legal as what they call it. And the result is you'll get a big ticket, plus the hassle of taking your car to a referree smog station to get checked. :eek:uch:

P.S. I think there're some specifications about the view clearance that BMW can't even pass, even if they pay. To be safe, you may keep the center dash as low as possible.

Steve, I am amazed that you know so much about such an obscure subject, but I am not going to attempt to argue with you. I can tell you this...I live in Florida. We have no vehicle inspections at all, there are no smog checks, and I do not plan on moving to Cali. So, I am not going to concern myself at all about it. But, I do most appreciate your thoughts, and concerns. :boggled:

Ryan

Here is a test fit of the dash back in the car. The unit is not done, but this is a good facsimile of what it will look like. The backface still needs to be finished, and the screws you see will not be the final ones on the unit. The dash is also just layng in the car, so it is not properly installed, the harness is in the way, and I am not going to pull it back out so no need to move all the wires out of the way yet.
I like the look, and except for the cosmetic finishes yet to be done, I am moving forward with it. It is also not obstructing my view of the highway at all.
I am looking forward to seeing everything installed in the car.
Picture011-1.jpg
Picture012-1.jpg
Picture015-1.jpg
Picture016-1.jpg

Ryan

Both turbos and the newly ceramic coated Downpipes are now permanently installed. The oiling system is now completed and tightened up. I expect to be starting up the car within the next week. I can haedly wait!!

BETurbosandDP001.jpg

BETurbosandDP002.jpg

Ryan

Got some time to work on the car last yesterday. Got several things done:
  • Connected all the Catchcan lines and secured the catchcan
  • Relocated the Water/Meth pump from the drives side to the passenger's side
  • got the new SS braided hose made up from Amazon to connect the high pressure side of the power steering
  • Installed the new thermostat and water neck
  • made up the new SS braided lines for the transmission snd connected it up to the external cooler
  • Mounted the twin Zirgo fans
  • Mounted the radiator
  • Started working with the water tubing for the radiator, that will need some fabrication....
Much more to do this weekend....Almost there, but damn sometimes it seems to take forever....

Here are a few pics of some of the work and the Carbing radiator cooling plate that I bought and had polished.

Carbing Plate:
BETurbosandDP037.jpg
Greddy Catchcan mounted:
BETurbosandDP018.jpg
Twin Zirgo's mounted:
BETurbosandDP010.jpg
Tranny lines made and connected:
BETurbosandDP028.jpg
Relocated Water/Meth Pump:
BETurbosandDP023.jpg
Ryan

The modified dash is completed and I picked it up today, along with the Driver's side airbag, passenger side airbag and ashtray. I'll post up some pics tomorrow. Gotta get some shut eye....

Ryan

Well, the car is really at the point where it is near completed, but little things that don't quite fit right, or little, but critical changes need to be made, mainly with fitment, or size of tubes or fittings, or clamps, etc, require me to trial and error, and order, or search high and low for the right fitment or custom part. This is time consuming, but it is worth it to get it right.

Also, if you all have noticed, my garage has been a wreck. My wife did not want to pay for the storage unit anymore, several months ago, so we had to move it all home. The garage was not prepared for all that stuff, so we piled it in there, and over the next few months, it got dismally unorganized, asa well as became rather maddening having to make room to work on the car each time....Moving things out, then moving them in....What a true pain in the a$$ that was. The ritual got old....So, I have spent the last 2.5 days working on the garage and shelving, and re-rganizing with my wife's tremendous help, and although not yet done, a massive improvement. The trash man will probably curse me out a few times tomorrow.

Any way, I was quite disappointed that I did not get time to turn any wrenches this weekend. So, tonight, after we finished up the garage, I had to test fit the second of the Cool-Flex tubes I had bought for the radiator tubing. If you recall, I had mentioned in a recent, previous post that I was still going to have to fabricate (Pay a welder) to cut up and weld on some special tubing for me to fit my radiator tubes. This was indeed a disappointing thought, not to mention even more time and hassle to find the right welder, plus the extra expense....So I worked on the long tube tonight, and trial and errored the best route to run the tube, and it worked out absolutely perfect!! The long tube (the one that routes from the bottom of the radiator to the water neck/thermostat housing), clears and fits beautifully!!

As with anything we do in life, along with practice comes experience, then comes practical knowledge, then added success....So, I decided to give it a go with the upper tube again. This is the one that I was sure I had to fabricate and weld up a special pipe for du to the tight corners. Well, I had previously connected both ends onto the Cool-Flex Tubes, and left it that way in despair froma few nights ago.

So, I decided to just start turing and re-positioning that tube to see if I could get a better fitment, and much to my delight, I realized that all I had to do was adjust a bend from one direction to another by facing the curve straight up, instead of to the side. This took the tube off the turbo, still allowed plenty of clearance for the hood, and took off the pressure to try to make an almost impossible and extremely short radius 90 degree bend plus it cleared the other tube. Hallelujah!! Success!! It clears, and looks beautiful. The only issue I have is that the upper feed tube is slightly short, so I will replace it with a longer one, and voila!! I will be done with ALL tubing, hoses, and pipes.

A major milestone with this project.

I love all the extra room in the garage now....

Here are a few pics of the Cool-Flex radiator tubes....Well worth the money, and absolutely gorgeous, IMHO.

CoolFlex001.jpg

CoolFlex002.jpg

CoolFlex003.jpg

Ryan

Hey gang, thanks for the inquiries. I have been really busy with life, eg; lots of work, putting in 65 to 80 hours a week lately. Good thing is business is far better than last year. Secondly, I have been preparing for my MBA, so I am studying for the GMAT. Also, just living life....But that does not mean the car has stopped....Quite the contrary. Here is a list of the progress:

I installed the 4 speed gated shifter from the 2000 SC300 today. I had bought the shifter many months ago. It fits like a charm. I also bought the shifter linkage rod and new bols and bushings, and installed them all today. Shifts great, although I need to make a small adjustment to get 1st gear perfect. I still need to rewire the shifter to work properly.

The steering wheel is done, so is the airbag. I had the chrome logo done in gloss black. Here is a pic:
Picture002-4.jpg

I am almost done with the installation of the sound insulation matting and foam from edead.

The plate for the double DIN AVIC Z2 DVD NAV is almost completed, and will be installed with the interior this week.

The custom headlights are almost completed. Here is a partial pic to show you the housing. I am staying true to my word and not showing the whole light until they are done and installed on the car. You can see that they look very little like the original SC lights anymore. They look very modernized, and they are being done in partial Black Carbon Fiber:
0605090828c.jpg

The whole engine and all the systems are buttoned up, the oiling system is done, the transmission is done, the fuel is done, the cooling system is done. I still need to refill the AC.

I need to complete some wiring, and complete the additional stereo mods.

I took the used 20" i forged wheels I bought and had the curb rash fixed on all 4 wheels. I test fit them and they looked great, perfect fitment too. I sent them out for polishing, and I need to decide which tires to run on, but I am leaning towards Falkens, they are very quiet, handle well, and are priced competitively.

More to come this week. Things should progress quickly now.

Ryan

Ryan, as nice as the rest of your engine bay looks, you HAVE to do something with those turbos' CHRA's. All that rust really takes away from the rest of the work you've done.

Get 'em ceramic coated, etc.

John, I thought about it, but I hate the thought of disconnecting them, taking them apart, and then reversing the whole process. What a pain!! I think once I start driving the car, the rust will mostly burn off....

Ryan

Hello Gang. Since this is first a Luxury Sport Coupe, and a Race Car second, I call it a Super Coupe.

Anyway, here are a few pics of the sound proofing mat material that I bought from eDead. Great stuff. But as with all matting, somewhat painful to work on due to the tediousness of the work, but well worth it. Should really assist with the muting of the hum the Walbros put out. As well as a better drive. Nice thing about this eDead product is that it is thinner and lighter than the standard matting, but is still as dense, so should be very effective. I am also adding a secondary mat called V Comp which is a neoprene matting.

Here are a few pics of the butyl matting:

PassengerDoorSP1.jpg

PassengerDoorSP2.jpg

RearFirewall1.jpg

Ryan

Quick update:
  • The Sunroof Slider is installed
  • The headliner is installed
  • The Sound proofing matting is 95% installed
  • The Wiring for the two aftermarket ECU's was checked out by my buddy motorheaddown, and was found to be GOOD
  • The Custom Plate for the new Pioneer AVIC Z2 has been made, and is completed
  • The Dash is installed back in the car (Thanks Shane)
  • The rest of the interior will go in this weekend
  • I will start putting fluids in the car, prepping it for initial start up
Can't wait!!woohoo.gif

Ryan