Project Thread Project SC400TT

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Hey gang, I mentioned a while back that my headlights would go through a major special conversion, and get the Supermade clear lens cover. Here they are with the stock lens removed, and the new Supermade lens placed over the light for mock up purposes. Remember that I already converted my headlights to true HID projectors from the Audi TT, added the BMW Xenon Ring to fill the gap in the Lexus housing and keep an OEM appearance, plus manage to keep the lights fully adjustable. These should really update the appearance of my SC. I will post more as this goes along.
Driver Side:
Clear2.jpg
Passenger Side:
Clear1.jpg
I am real excited about this custom mod...Modernizing the look of the car while maintaining much of its original look from the 2000 model year vehicle has been an important goal to me. Can't wait to see the final project.

BTW, wait until you see the revised 2000 tails that are being planned out right now too!! I know I can't wait...

Ryan
:yup:

Here are a few pics if the oiling system...

Frontal view:
Almostdone.jpg
Closer:
OilFeed1.jpg
Oil feed off the sandwich plate:
DSC02593-1.jpg
Another of the feed:
DSC02585.jpg
Return at Y on upper oil pan:
DSC02591.jpg
The big brake swap on the rears is a pain...Removing the dust covers so the larger rotors can fit and replacing the studs is a lot of work...
Ryan

Well gang, my car is definitely coming together...

• The rear Wilwood BBKs are almost installed
    The Custom wiring harness from Phoenix Tuning that we had to cut to get
    through the firewall has been reconnected by Motorheaddown
    The Custom molded 2000 Front Bumper has been painted
    The Custom Hood Vents have been filled and painted
    Much more to get done this week...

• Here are a few pics of the Bumper and the Hood...
      Bumper1.jpg
      Bumper2.jpg
      Bumper3.jpg
      Bumper4.jpg
      More coming...
      Ryan

Pics of the underside of the hood...When the slots were cut out of the hood, the the reinforcement frame was cut in some areas as well. It caused the frame to separate from the hood in a few areas, as well as left gaping holes in the frame. They had to be filled and re-attached to the hood, as well as have the appearance of an OEM look (my anal-retentiveness...:sadance: ). It was important for these holes to sanded and filled properly. The painter, Jack Gonzalez, went well beyond my expectations...Great job Jack!!
Here are some pics of the hood (just the underside):
Hood1-1.jpg
Hood2-1.jpg
Hood3.jpg
Hood4.jpg
Hood5.jpg
Thanks,
Ryan

Here are a few more:
Hood6.jpg
Hood7.jpg
Last ones...I cannot wait to complete this project...Sorry for the poor camera pics...My cell phone took the pics...
Ryan

Attachments

• Eqp7pg.jpg
    Eqp7pg.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 92
  • PoliceVersion_300C.jpg
    PoliceVersion_300C.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 98
I want to post up a progress report on how my car is doing. As I have stated recently, when building a car at the level I am with SC400TT, it is really a massive undertaking...I underestimated several things when I started the planning of this project. The number one item was time. Now that I really do not have any more "shops" to deal with except for the fabrication of my hard water pipes for the radiator, I have had time to work on the car myself, and with my partner, Charles Stuart, aka, Chaz. Without his dedication, I would be significantly farther behind, and this project may have only been a dream. I cannot thank Chaz enough for all he has sacrificed and done. He has literally built a major part of my car. My hat is off to you, my close friend. I also want to thank Scott Davidson, aka, motorheaddown, who has assisted me dearly in some of the wiring and electronics of this project.... I also want to thank Scott, aka, Ki soarer who has spent countless hours on helping in pulling out and installing the different versions of my interior.... I also want to thank Dave Penton, aka 2jznat, for all the humor in my looooong build thread and for the towing of my car to Orlando from Tampa. I also want to thank Justin Baloh, who is currently building my headlights. I mentioned several posts back that I have "very special" headlights being built for this project...They are...I have seen the pics, and they are not yhet done, but will be soon. They are so special that I will not post a pic up of them until the whole car is complete. I will post a few teaser shots though...If you want a hint of how they are turning out, keep thinking Audi...and OEM...There is no other SC light like them.... Thanks also to the venerable Zach Culver, aka, UZZ TT, who provided the Super made clear lenses that I so needed to create these lights.... Major thanks goes to Shane Ligon, who builds these kinds of project cars from scratch (Even V8 MR2's), he has been a great technical help, and has also machined several custom parts for this project. A special thanks to David Phan, aka, LEXTREME, who is the impetus for my whole project...David's website is the first I found about 6 years ago when I was searching for more ways to add power to this beautiful SC. If David had not been there (His website, parts, tech articles, own experiences, and his friendship) I may not have ever taken this direction to build such a project. Thanks, David. You are the Man and the Myth.... Lastly, but not least, thanks to Scott Marshall, aka, ScottURnot, who provided several key components (Some of which were custom) for this project at very special rates, and the hours of phone calls discussing build theories and practicalities of this project and his beast of a project. There is a great bond of friendship and comraderie that develops when a project like this is undertaken...I thank each of you...

OK, so here is the progress, and I will post up some pics in some future posts.
  • The Turbo oil feed has been completed
  • The Turbo Oil return has been completed
  • The External Oil Cooler has been installed
  • The External Transmisssion Cooler has been installed
  • The high Pressure Oil Sandwich Plate configuration has been designed, built and installed (Whew, what a pain)
  • The Fuel Return Line has been completed
There is still much to do...I will keep you updated...

I want to thank a few more people here..
  • Deron Golding, aka, nextlevelcoupe, you have become a good friend. I appreciate your attention to detail and look forward to seeing your latest version of your car complete. A good friend, too.
  • Jose, aka, CleanSC, whose WHite turbo SC is one of the cleanest I have ever seen, what an inspiration you have been. A good friend too.
  • Gazi, aka, Aliga. You have provided me with dozens of critical parts for this project, as well as the best deal on a black interior that anyone has ever gotten...What a great resource you are to the Lexus community!!
  • Eric, aka, Cowboy. Thanks for your commitment to building quality custom parts for the SC. You have certainly made our projects easier and more custom with your hard work...
  • John Brady, you have been a friend and a great resource during this project as well. I appreciate your suggestions and time...
  • John Cribb, thank you for the emails and research you have shared that have helped me along...
  • Rod, aka Zuffen, thanks for your assistance
  • Andrew Vlamos, thanks for the many, many emails, and the superb bushings you make for the SC...
Anybody else I am missing, please forgive me, and please speak up. I certainly want to thank you and list your name publicly, because this project, which is near completion, is a compilation of work and ideas from several people...I love the Lexus community!!! My Hat's off to you all!!

Ryan

Ryan,

You sound like you're going on a far journal. :thinkerg: You need to thank me for reading your thread. LOL. JK. Nice...You got a medal for patience, dedication, and perfectionism.

Removed the turbos, the manifolds and the downpipes so they can be ceramic coated. What a PITA!! Had to loosen the motor mounts and jack up the engine to remove them. They go on Monday.
Here are some pics of the recent work.
This is the reconnected Autronic harness:
Autronicharnessre-connected.jpg
Here are the two external coolers connected:
Cooler2.jpg
The oil cooler:
cooler4.jpg
The tranny cooler:
cooler5.jpg
Oil cooler feed and return lines:
coolerlines1.jpg
More coming...

Top view of the oil cooler:
cooler9.jpg
Top view of the tranny cooler:
cooler8.jpg
Oil cooer feed and return line on the sandwich plate:
coolerfr2.jpg
The whole high pressure set up showing the sandwich plate, the oil cooler feed and return connections and SS Braided hose:
sandwichplate2.jpg
The transmission cooler feed and return lines:
trannycoolerlines1.jpg
More...

Oil return lines from the turbos:
oilreturn1.jpg
Another pic of the oil return:
oilreturn2.jpg
Return coming out of the turbo, nice straight flow:
oilreturn3.jpg
Fuel return Line:
fuelreturn1.jpg
Ryan

Ryan,

You sound like you're going on a far journal. :thinkerg: You need to thank me for reading your thread. LOL. JK. Nice...You got a medal for patience, dedication, and perfectionism.

Thanks Steve...Quite funny. I am so near to completion, I was compelled to send accolades to several people that assisted in this long process because it feels like I am about to complete a very, very long journey.

Ryan

Very nice, you must be over the moon mate, as its all comeing to the end....:)

I am!! My buddy Chaz and I actually got emotional yesterday when we discussed how far we have come on this project, and the hours and hours of hard work, patience, let down, trepidation, jubilation and many other emotions we experienced during this build. It has been almost 4 years now...Wow!!

Ryan

Well, the fuel system is now buttined up. We completed the braided hose and connected them from the 2 Walbros to the *** Fuel pump hanger access cap.We had to wait a week for the access cap to be modified because the nipples on the inside were not long enough, nor did they have a bead welded on the ends of them to help keep the fuel hose i place once connected. The nipples were also far too short for my taste, so I had -6 weld on An's welded onto the short nipples. For added strength and security, the nipples were also threaded so the weld on's could be screwed down on them first and then welded. They will never come off. Kudos to Eric for making the whole unit as it was a first quality item in spite of the miss on the short nipples. He did tell me about them after I bought the unit.
We also had to modify the firewall access port so that the braided hose would fit under them, so we cut out two small sections for clearance. The adges were then sanded and painted to smooth the edges and keep them from rusting.
We also added Toyota FIPG sealant on the fire wall access panel to reseal it all around. We also added some neoprene to cushion the fittings and to dampen any potential rattles. So there is no metal to metal contact.
It turned out well...
Also got the parking brake shoes reinstalled, as well as those very painful tensioners...Unbelieveable to reinstall those tensioners until I made up my own tool to re-secure them. Then it only took a minute or less to reconnect them. I also installed the longer ARP wheel studs that are made ffor the Lexus IS. We cut off the excess so they would fit my application.
All in all, it was a good day working on the car. I will receive the ceramic coated headers and downpipes next week so I can re-install and get this car ready for starting.
I plan to fill the car with fluids and start it for the first time next weekend...Hallelujah!!
Jack Gonzales, the painter, is bringing over the newly painted hood and front bumper tomorrow. Should look real good on the car.
Here's some pics of the work just completed:
Firewall access panel after cutting, sanding and welding.
Picture001-2.jpg
*** Dual Walbro fuel pump hanger installed.
Picture002-2.jpg
Fuel lines installed and system closed.
Picture003-2.jpg
Close up.
Picture004-2.jpg
More coming...

The hood and bumper are here!! I am very pleased with the work. Since I still have a little bit to do, and to fabricate the water pipes, I decided not to install them just yet. I did place thom on the car to take a few pics and to show you all the craftsmanship of the paint and body guy. The slots in the hood for the Aston vents are simply sick!! IMHO!! I hope I am not interpreted as bragging when I post up with excitement. It has been a long haul, and at times I wondered if I would ever get this project done. Almost there, and very elated with the results so far. I hope you enjoy...
Don't mind my garage...It is a disaster...
HPIM1491.jpg
HPIM1492.jpg
HPIM1494.jpg
HPIM1497.jpg
HPIM1496.jpg
Ryan

That front end is gorgeous Ryan - first time I've ever felt I needed to put on sunglasses just to look at an Internet photo!

The hood looks great too. Very understated and elegant.