Power Steering Pump Repair

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Nick T

v-tec this,
you can get the power steering repair kit from Lexus or IronToad ~$45 last time I checked. Be sure to keep everything CLEAN when reinstalling the components and having a press would help considerably.

Most times, the o-rings for the high/low pressure lines are the true culprit and you can get away with just replacing those. You will have to clean the area and drive around a few days then check again to pinpoint exactly where the leak is coming from.

Regards

Don't load your PS system up by forcing the steering wheel when on the bump stop, back off the wheel by 1/4".

Not proven by me, just suspected.

I agree with the O-ring replacing. My crown front cut had done 120 000km, I checked the O-rings and they were flat (squared off), I replaced them and the pump doesn't leak a drop.
Regards
Matt.

1UZFE Matt said:
I agree with the O-ring replacing. My crown front cut had done 120 000km, I checked the O-rings and they were flat (squared off), I replaced them and the pump doesn't leak a drop.
Regards
Matt.
any more details here? i'm going bald ripping my hair out. i have changed high pressure hose(custom as crown one was too close to exhaust anyway, and looked suspect) i have changed low pressure hose same reason. still leaking, i'm hoping it my falcon steering box but i cant see how it could be squirting onto exhaust making smoke(NEVER DOES THIS WHEN I'M WATCHING WITH MATE TURNING WHEEL EVEN AT FULL LOCK GREAT) if i change the box(ford, want to anyway as pitman arm is stuffed) and it is still leaking it MUST BE THE PUMP!
so if its the pump what should i do first?(where are these o rings?)

Everyone,

Go to ALSC they have a tutorial on rebuilding the steering pump.

They also tell you where to get the repair kit.

If you don't rebuild it as soon as you notice the leak you may end up with an alternator rebuild as well.

The oil leaks down into the alternator and ruins it.

Zuffen said:
Everyone,

Go to ALSC they have a tutorial on rebuilding the steering pump.

They also tell you where to get the repair kit.

If you don't rebuild it as soon as you notice the leak you may end up with an alternator rebuild as well.

The oil leaks down into the alternator and ruins it.
i can't find it, i did a search both from this site and google, in this site it come up as you say alsc as if its a forum, i'm guessing it is? can you provide a link please. thanks

Well, my power steering pump (according to the lexus records i got with the car) was replaced in 2001 with around 50000 miles on it. I bought the car with 87000 miles on it this summer and the damn pump has a slight whine which i can pick up on and is quite annoying. What is the whine, and why is my fairly new pump making it? Would synthetic help?

The whine means you are low on fluid. If you get loud groaning noises then you are way too low on fluid and have ait in the system, plus you are damaging your pump.

Check the level when cold, do not overfill it.
If you loose more fluif after this look around for some leaks.

Hey, I dont know about the 1uzfes, but the toyota truck(v6's,i4s) pumps require you to use ATF, NOT regular power streering fluid! The ATF has additional additives to deal with heat, that power streering fluid does not have. A lot of truck owners have blown pumps because of this, so you boys might wanna check your owners manuals to see what it says! The regular power steering fluid might be getting too hot and eroding the seals.