Old School Celicas

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Jwalker

After cruising around this site for a bit I realized that there is a number of 1st generation celicas hangin around. I thought that it would be great to get a collection of tips, tricks, swap photos, and any other info on putting a 1uz an RA2x or Ta2x. Then all of us with the classics can fry our brains

If a multicar project thread is off limits feel free to delete it.:no:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive finally started my conversion.
here's a few pics of the engine sitting in the hole for a trial fit.

RIMG0031.jpg

RIMG0030.jpg

RIMG0029.jpg

the engine is sitting on the rack. it will go down by about 50mm.
i didn't do the rack and pinion conversion and its a bit ruggerd.
just from looking at it i can tell that the bump steer is going to be way wrong and the rack has to come down. no problem in theory but ill wait till Ive got the thing out and had a bit of a look at it before i decide what to do with it.
things that are good, the brake and clutch will fit without to much bother.
"looks" like i wont have to love the fire wall for any reason.
drivers side exhaust will be "interesting" but should be OK.
it will be about 2 months before i get really stuck into this project (still finishing my other celica) and ill start a thread for the car when i do.
latter,
sheepers.

77 RA29

Funny how things work out. I joined this site awhile back when I was planning a v8 swap in my 94 Celica GT, Now I am back with a 77 GT. I have a liftback 5 speed that is in need of restoration. So I will be pulling the old and tired 20r and doing a swap. What transmission are you guys/gals using for a manual in the Celicas? Really any info would be great seeing how I just got the car a couple days ago.

Ill be using a W58 with a CRS bellhousing and alloy flywheel.

Do you think the w50 will hold stock or slightly above stock 1uzfe power?
Where can I get the bellhousing and what type of flywheel? I'm here in the USA... Las Vegas. I have found a complete LS400 for cheap so I will have all original parts, or is it better just to get the motor for us oldschoolers?

Mines gettin a W58 with the 1UZ. Also 87 Toy Van rear axle (4.71:1 lol) and 92 Cressida front suspension. US RA24 GT. Not Summer yet so the engine hasnt moved. Slow progress on everything else though.

Do you think the w50 will hold stock or slightly above stock 1uzfe power?
Where can I get the bellhousing and what type of flywheel? I'm here in the USA... Las Vegas. I have found a complete LS400 for cheap so I will have all original parts, or is it better just to get the motor for us oldschoolers?

A W50 or a W58?
A W58 will be fine, a W50 will last 2 seconds.

Your not in Aus, so i cant help with where to buy stuff unless you import it from here.

Well the w58 is a direct swap as far as I know, so that should be no problem. Can anybody chime in on where to get the adapters in the US? Also is there any other parts I can use out a LS400? Suspension, brakes, ect? Really I don't want to get an entire car unless it's beneficial. I only have so much space to work and it's getting full.

just to clarify so you dont get sold the wrong thing.
in relation to physical size, bolt patterns and bellhousings,
W40 and W50 are basically the same.
W55,56,57,58,59 are basically the same.
W50 and W55 are completely different.
clear?

sheepers.

So, no other tranny bolts up directly into the Celica? That's ok... I have to fab everything else anyway.

More info on the swap please...

Pics would be great too.

I am about to pull the old 20r this weekend and need to decide what direction to take as far as the restoration.

coldbluesteel,

I am pretty far along stuffing a 93 1UZFE from an LS400 into my 83 RA65 Celica. You can find 2 threads on my car here with pics. I also bought an entire LS400 donor car. It certainly made it much easier since I had no choice but to use the stock injection and trans. I am in California and it has to make it past the smog check. Depending on the year, there are some electronic bits all around the car you may need. In the 93, I had to get the Fuel Pump ECU, yes, a separate computer, just to run the pump, that was in the trunk. It was behind the CD changer that was totally crushed in the crash. The FP ECU was fine, but even the CD's in the changer were not. If you are doing the manual trans and futting a progammable ECU, then you don't need near as much suff out of the LS400. I still have my W58, incase I later want the manual again.

As for the diff, DON'T go to a 4.XX I am concerned my 3.727 will be too low of a ratio. The 4000 pound LS 400 used a 3.62 with taller tires. I will run it with the 3.727 for a while, but I may end up getting a 3.58 if I can find one for a fair price. My car has IRS and has a Supra F series 7.5 inch LSD setup. It uses the same gears as the live axle F series that was in most 4 banger trucks. My turboed 22R ripped the teeth out of the original 3.42 T series 6.7 inch diff.

On the V8 in a Celica... The driver's side exhaust manifold will be a custom job. There is just no room in there.

Have fun. I will actually get to drive mine in just a few days. I live in Cali, but the car is still in Illinois.

Gary