NOS or Fish?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Mattmannz

I am looking at giving my 93 Soarer a bit of a performance boost.

Above the usual BFI and exhaust there isn't much in the way of performance unless you spend big money.

I sat down and priced out both options, a ZEX nitrous kit or a Fish based used Vortech V1 supercharger setup.

My prices are in NZ$ with the USD in ()'s Note my USD prices will be higher than in the US as it includes shipping, it's mainly for everyone to compare my solution costs.

Nitrous kit - 125hp wet kit with remote bottle opener, pressure gauge, bottle warmer and RPM controller for setting activation rpm's etc.
$2000 ($1500)

Supercharger kit - Fish bracket, bolts, spacers, LS400 fan bracket, idler pully, electric fan conversion, battery relocate, used V1 with 3 month guarantee, and some margin for unforseen extras.
$3700 ($2700)

The NOS kit should deliver around 100hp. The supercharger system is prolly slightly more, around the 125-150 from what I have read.

The NOS kit seems to be an easier install, about a day to get it up and running with the extra's I have got, bottle warmer, rpm switch etc. There aren't many fully complete supercharger installs around so it's hard to say how long it would take to install.

The NOS kits have been around and are proven, the supercharger setup isn't fully known yet.

What I haven't added in is the cost of running the NOS system. I estimate I would use about four bottles a year, based on some US costs that would add about $400 (300) to the costs so in four years the costs are the same.

With the NOS kit in a couple of years if I sell the car I can quite easily remove the kit and return it to stock. The supercharger system a little less so.

At the moment I am leaning towards the NOS route.

Anyone else have any thoughts or comments?

Cheers
Matt.

I'm in exactly the same boat. I think N2O is going to win in the end as I'm happy with the performance of my car 98% of the time, but there is the odd occasion when I want alot more power. I see one of the main advantages of N2O being that for normaly driving about the car will perform the same as stock and also return the same gas mileage. But at the flick of a switch will have a huge boost in power (I'm aiming for a 150bhp shot, so will have over 400bhp at the crank).

essentially, without minor maintence... Nitrous you need to refill usually about $4-$5/lb. $40-$50 per refill. With the fish you wont have to.

Not to mention... bragging rights. Supercharged.... or Nitrous. Fish is the obvious choice imo.

Thanks for the replies guys.

So far two valid points, definitely bigger bragging rights with a supercharger no doubt about that and yep, filling the bottle will be a pain in the ass at times.

Still though, the difference in costs is still great enough to swing the deal towards NOS I think at this point.

CHeers
Matt.