3UZ & NOS?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
That's pretty awesome. I didn't realize how much influence you had with the headers. Do you have any hard numbers (before and after et's for example)? I've been a CL member for some time now and I never thought to look at the GS section for insight. I usually keep up with the LS 430, Southwest, and Racing Enthusiast sections only. I haven't gotten any real good input from anyone yet. Mostly alot of exterior mods (not there's anything wrong with that). Where in Texas are you located and other than the folks in Austin, do you know of any other locations that may have some experience with the 3UZ? Thanks again.

That's pretty awesome. I didn't realize how much influence you had with the headers. Do you have any hard numbers (before and after et's for example)? I've been a CL member for some time now and I never thought to look at the GS section for insight. I usually keep up with the LS 430, Southwest, and Racing Enthusiast sections only. I haven't gotten any real good input from anyone yet. Mostly alot of exterior mods (not there's anything wrong with that). Where in Texas are you located and other than the folks in Austin, do you know of any other locations that may have some experience with the 3UZ? Thanks again.

Actually, I had the posted thread saved because of the pictures... I had not READ it recently and forgot about it mentioning me. Anyway...

Here is a link and quote from a member with a GS400 gaining 3 tenths in the 1/8th mile. That is impressive as most consider 10hp per 10th gained is fair. This is also a 400 which has better stock manifolds than the 430s. All in all this is a mod you FEEL and enjoy at all throttle points and RPMs.

It is your choice but there are not many options that give this kind of a gain without any negatives.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...aders-yet-how-are-they-holding-up-so-far.html
i picked up about 1 to 2 tenths in the 60ft and about 2 to 3mph, but 3/10 of total ET with 20s

BTW, I am in Houston. If you decide to get a set I might consider doing your header install. We could do some before and after performance testing as I have a GTech Competition. A few have had luck tuning the A/F ratio with SAFC Neo units. You could probably get into the 260-270rwhp range with the headers and tuning.

BTW, I am in Houston. If you decide to get a set I might consider doing your header install. We could do some before and after performance testing as I have a GTech Competition. A few have had luck tuning the A/F ratio with SAFC Neo units. You could probably get into the 260-270rwhp range with the headers and tuning.

Thank you for your offer, I'm definitely interested in getting the most out of my LS. I am not looking to build a race car but I would like to break into the 13's and still maintain vehicle reliability and fuel efficiency. (Of course I may have some unreal expectations.) So far, I like the headers but I'm a little concerned about reliability after reading the post. I realize that the post is dated and S&S may have already resolved their initial issues by now. Also, I'm not opposed to reinforcing the internals of the engine if that means I can add a 100HP shot of NOS. Of course, if it will cost as much or more than going FI then that's where your experience will come in. I realize that I can't accomplish what I'm trying to accomplish without money, I just want to get the most performance for the dollar spent. If you're serious about you're offer then I'm willing to cooperate as long as you let me and my son get our hands dirty. I will be going in for routine surgery next week so I will be out for about a month. That will give me plenty of time to do some more research. In the meantime, if you come up with any more insight just let me know. Thanks for all the input so far.

Thank you for your offer, I'm definitely interested in getting the most out of my LS. I am not looking to build a race car but I would like to break into the 13's and still maintain vehicle reliability and fuel efficiency. (Of course I may have some unreal expectations.) So far, I like the headers but I'm a little concerned about reliability after reading the post. I realize that the post is dated and S&S may have already resolved their initial issues by now. Also, I'm not opposed to reinforcing the internals of the engine if that means I can add a 100HP shot of NOS. Of course, if it will cost as much or more than going FI then that's where your experience will come in. I realize that I can't accomplish what I'm trying to accomplish without money, I just want to get the most performance for the dollar spent. If you're serious about you're offer then I'm willing to cooperate as long as you let me and my son get our hands dirty. I will be going in for routine surgery next week so I will be out for about a month. That will give me plenty of time to do some more research. In the meantime, if you come up with any more insight just let me know. Thanks for all the input so far.

Good luck with the surgery.

I was able to run 14.22 on a 2.2 60ft time. With traction I am completely confident that I could have pulled a 1.9-2.0 60ft time which would have given me a 13 second slip.

"Here are my best time slips for my nearly bone stock 1999 LS400. Race weight was just under 4000lbs. Mods were airbox and no rear mufflers. Removed spare and all junk from the trunk. Air was PERFECT at 43 degrees F and 30.4 in/hg barometric pressure. Runs made on stock tires at stock pressure. Brake torqued to apx 2000rpm and rolled into it on the last yellow. In normal summer heat the car is around 3 tenths slower and 2-3mph slower."

Your LS430 has the 6 speed tranny and is definitely quicker than my car. I am confident in the same conditions I could pull a 13 second run out of it for you. With headers, a torque converter and some drag radials a mid even low 13 is very possible.

Here are my slips.

attachment.php

So far, I like the headers but I'm a little concerned about reliability after reading the post.

Since S&S changed from 16 gauge .065" wall tubing to 14 gauge .083" wall tubing and reinforced welding there have been no reported cracked headers to date. They do not make the car noisy, improve power in all RPM ranges and should improve fuel economy if you can resist feeling the power.

I am unsure if the 6 speed uses the same torque converter as the 5 and 4 speed cars. On the GS430s the 2800 stall units tend to trigger the check engine light. Those cars seem to work well with a 2500 stall. Yours would probably do as well. Even without it the drag radials would allow a much more aggressive launch.

Since S&S changed from 16 gauge .065" wall tubing to 14 gauge .083" wall tubing and reinforced welding there have been no reported cracked headers to date. They do not make the car noisy, improve power in all RPM ranges and should improve fuel economy if you can resist feeling the power.

I am unsure if the 6 speed uses the same torque converter as the 5 and 4 speed cars. On the GS430s the 2800 stall units tend to trigger the check engine light. Those cars seem to work well with a 2500 stall. Yours would probably do as well. Even without it the drag radials would allow a much more aggressive launch.

Good to know, I'm not concerned about noise. I actually want a little bit of an aggressive sound. (I know some will mock me for that since it's an LS.) 2500 Stall... who makes those for the LS? I'm very familiar with their function. I had one in my Chevelle. I never considered having one put in the LS but I like the idea. Also, any more thoughts on beefing up the internals to allow for NOS or are you still thinking I need to research more into the FI option? I appreciate all your input. By the way, I will be in Houston this Friday if you would like to check out what I'm working with. I'm also getting ready for the some major maintenance, (90K service) any thoughts on what else to do while the mechanics are working on it? I've got some really good friend that I went to school with that have worked at Lexus since 92. One is the Service Manager and the other is the Senior Tech.

Good to know, I'm not concerned about noise. I actually want a little bit of an aggressive sound. (I know some will mock me for that since it's an LS.) 2500 Stall... who makes those for the LS? I'm very familiar with their function. I had one in my Chevelle. I never considered having one put in the LS but I like the idea. Also, any more thoughts on beefing up the internals to allow for NOS or are you still thinking I need to research more into the FI option? I appreciate all your input. By the way, I will be in Houston this Friday if you would like to check out what I'm working with. I'm also getting ready for the some major maintenance, (90K service) any thoughts on what else to do while the mechanics are working on it? I've got some really good friend that I went to school with that have worked at Lexus since 92. One is the Service Manager and the other is the Senior Tech.

I was going to PM you my cell number but your messaging is not available. Send me your cell or email and we can try to meet up.

Strengthening needed is rods first, pistons/rings second. Obviously a major project. May make sense to source a used engine to build up and have ready. This could come in very handy if anything goes wrong you have a backup engine.

Which dealership are your friends at?

Many GS400/430 owners run the Precision Industries stall converter. I do NOT know if one could be made for your 6 speed. If so it may really wake up the car off the line. 2500rpm stall is mild and with the lockup clutch driveability should be fine.

Consider that an open differential powers both wheels UNTIL one looses traction and at that point all torque goes to that side. If you keep traction you keep both tires powering the car. Drag radials can definitely help here.

I also made a cold air intake for my LS400. It added about 5rwhp and added engine sound. You would like it.

For nitrous you will want an individual port system. This plus a proper controller may be what you are after.

Let me know about Friday.

David (Lextreme) can have the Torque Converter at any stall speed for you, pretty much for most Lexus. I heard some SC430 or LS430 have the check engine light on with Precision Torque Converter. Howerver, Lextreme's Torque Converter is built based on the stock one so there's no check engine. I'm currently running Lextrem TQ with 13 psi of boost on my SC400 and there's no issue whatsoever. Lextreme's TQ is much cheaper than Precision TQ.

Good to know...

Thanks to both of you guys for you input... I have looked into the TC option and the write up on the Lextreme products sounds pretty good. I will look into that further. The guys I know work at Sterling McCall Lexus. I also know the Business Manager there really well, he's also a really good friend. I guess you could safely say it was their influence that has brought me to the JDM side of performance. They all do an awesome job and take pretty good care of me to say the least. I will PM you my contact info and maybe we can meet up. I know several guys there in Houston that are pretty deep into the Lexus scene but most of them are more interested in making their cars look good. (Again, nothing wrong with that.) A couple of guys I know seem to also show an interest in performance. I have been talking with another buddy who is having a turbo built by a company there in the Houston area. I think the company name is "Secret Service" or something like that. Is anyone familiar with them? Not much about them online that I can find. I am planning on ordering the headers in about two weeks, and take it from there. Thanks again.

Blitz Throttle Controller? (Something else to consider?)

Well we have covered alot of ground with my initial question and now something else has me looking for details. Has anyone looked at the Blitz Throttle Controller? I know how it works and what it does but my question is what is the benefit? I assume it feels faster because the improved throttle response, but is it quicker in 0-60 times and the 1/4 mile ET's? I've looked all over the web for that answer and I can't seem to find it. The website says "it doesn't make more horsepower" which I understand but again, does the increased throttle response improve the ET's? I assume that it does but I'm not certain and was curious to know if anyone here has any insight or better still, firsthand knowledge.