Newbie here

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Siddley

Hi folks. I live in the UK and have recently bought an MOT failure LS400.
I'm going to use the engine and possibly the autobox as the basis of my next project, which will be a home built space frame car.
I'm right at the start of the design process, and I'll post a thread later in the drivetrain section asking about my options for transmissions because I don't even know whether to go with front or mid engine layout yet.

I haven't ever built a car from scratch before, but I've got a pretty OK level of engineering knowledge and have a small machine shop.

I've still got my current car to finish as well - that's a Peugeot 205Gti with a GTi6 engine.

Cheers :burnout:

Welcome to Lextreme. You have come to the right place.

I am not familiar with MOB. Please clarify.

What year is the LS400?

Post pictures of your Peugeot as well as progress pics on your build.

Hi :)

The MOT is an annual vehicle inspection for cars over 3 years old here in the UK. The LS400 failed on the emissions part of the test, probably related to the exhaust system which was blowing. It's a 1995 and has done just over 200,000 miles. I paid the equivalent of 200 USD for it.

I'm a big fan of 60's and 70's GT racing cars and prototypes. Stuff like Lola T70's, Porsche 917's, 908's, the GT40 etc. Building a replica of one of those is outside my means so I'm hoping to create something which has a similar look to it.
It'll have to be a Spyder configuration to simplify the bodywork ( no need for a massively curved windscreen ) and I'm currently agonising over the drivetrain layout. I don't think it will be possible to acheive the look I want with a front mounted engine, but a transaxle conversion will eat a good chunk of my budget.

$200 USD!!! What would it be worth in the UK if it passed?

Anyway, the 95+ versions were a more powerful engine by 30hp or so even though the specs say 10hp. They also have very weak piston rods so if you intend on upgrading the power past say 400hp you will want to replace rods and pistons. The rest should be fine.

Keep us posted.

$200 USD!!! What would it be worth in the UK if it passed?

1500 USD at the very most perhaps ? It would be really difficult to sell though, you would have to find the right person. Gas prices here are very high ( due mainly to insane levels of taxation ) and cars with large engines also attract a high rate of tax for the yearly license fee. It's a stupid situation, which makes me angry, but I won't start talking politics.
Anyway, cutting a long story short, something like the LS400 is not a sought after vehicle in the UK.

I did get a break on the price as I bought it from a friend, plus he's stripping the leather interior and audio system out to resell.

It's actually a '94 now I have checked the paperwork - from the license plate I had assumed it was a '95 because that was the letter code assigned for the date of registration. But I forgot the letter code doesn't always tally with the date of manufacture, and can be a year out.

We do also own a Surf ( 4 Runner ) and I initially had some thoughts about swapping the engine into that. But although the Surf goes offroad every day ( my wife breeds horses and I go hunting with rifles, so it's a working truck ) the 3.0l diesel is more than enough to get the job done.

I'll probably mostly just lurk on the forum for a while and learn what I can, so I'm not asking questions which have already been answered many times over. I think my first contribution will be about removing the engine, which is a little way down the line from now.

Hi Siddley,

Nice to see another Lexus afficianado in the UK. However I thought I got a Lexus LS400 cheap at £300 never mind £100! Good purchase..........mind you we have MOT'd it since and done over 5000 miles in it since, just to check the spare engine is Ok of course.....

Re transaxles I believe the current options are either an inverted Porsche G50 or a 2.7 Diesel Audi, both of whom can take a significant power hike. As a mid engined project it would be a shame to not take advantage of all that engine accessibility to develop its power potential.

As your engine is a 94 you could just be on the cusp of needing Cats to get through the IVA emissions test ( it would be worthwhile checking on the VOSA website) so be aware of the possible need to include some space for a set of (removable) cats as close as possible to the manifolds.

All the knowledge you need to get the engine and gearbox combo sorted out and working is on this site so a few hours searching will pay massive dividends, and if there's anything you can't find the answer to just ask.

Cheers,

Tony

Thanks Tony. There's a lot of that LS400 I won't be using and isn't going to be claimed by the previous owner. If you need anything in particular then PM me. Pickup would be free and postage at cost.