NEW REBUILD ENGINE W/ BIGGER TURBO

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

stevechumo

I'd like to share with you folks that I'm in the process of building a new and more power goal, so that I can run more boost reliably.
1) A 1991 JDM LS400 engine with 45K miles - spanking new inside out. I'm very happy with this engine because the blocks and heads are very new.

Notice the LS400 oil filter is on the side instead of in the front. I already swapped from the SC complete upper and lower oil pans and the oil filter to this LS400 engine to make them fit on my SC.

For this build, I'm replacing all gaskets, seals, and belts on this engine. I'll move the water pump, timing pulleys, rotor caps, and sparkplug wires from the previous engine to this new engine. These have less than 10K miles. I also bought a 145 amp alternator, engine mounts, Cometic thicker head gaskets for lower compression, and ARP head studs from David. Basically, this engine will be like brand new and ready from mild to big boost. :lew: I'll post more pictures of more parts that are coming along.

Good luck Steve - you have a good program there. No plans to redo the short block, head porting, etc.?

I thought about going with the complete 4.7 package, or redoing the heads and bore out the previous engine and fit Lextreme pistons in there, but I miss my ride so much so I decided to go this route to make it quick. You gents should feel how I feel when I miss my boosted ride. I don't have patience anymore. It's like a broken heart. :happysad: In fact, I need to get this car ready because there's an opening at the 1/4 mile track this November near where I live.

Vander,
This engine was listed from Ebay, but I picked it up locally to save the shipping. There's a few other sellers on Ebay now: http://motors.search.ebay.com/searc...action=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search.
If you want to buy from the guy who sold it to me for $600, let me know and I'll give you his contact number. He still has several 1UZs laying around and a lot of other JDM engines. He'll ship if you need to.

when it comes to boost,it's never enough...
what was the final specs of your last engine..i read your posts,but at the end you kind of changed a few things..what was wrong and what worked good for you...

For this build, I'm replacing all gaskets, seals, and belts on this engine. I'll move the water pump, timing pulleys, rotor caps, and sparkplug wires from the previous engine to this new engine. These have less than 10K miles. I also bought a 145 amp alternator, engine mounts, Cometic thicker head gaskets for lower compression, and ARP head studs from David. Basically, this engine will be like brand new and ready from mild to big boost. :lew: I'll post more pictures of more parts that are coming along.

Nice find on that engine, Steve. I am looking forward to hearing about your new power levels when completed. Does the new 145 amp alternator fit in the stock housing?

Ryan

when it comes to boost,it's never enough...
what was the final specs of your last engine..i read your posts,but at the end you kind of changed a few things..what was wrong and what worked good for you...
The previous engine has 158K miles with stock compression, which is a lot for 9 psi. That's why I'm using the newer engine with lower compression for more boost. The thing I like about this new engine is its heads, pistons, and rings are still in specs.

Great project! This should make a nice build.
Thanks for your encouragement. I've been a grease monkey all days long.

Nice find on that engine, Steve. I am looking forward to hearing about your new power levels when completed. Does the new 145 amp alternator fit in the stock housing?

Ryan
I haven't put the new one on, but I compared between the stock and this one, they have the exact housings, holes, and plugs. I believe 100% it should fit. I'll try to post the picture once I got it on.

Please pm me his contact info. Also how is the stock transmission working for you with 9-12 psi and 400whp?
P.M. is sent. At 9 psi, the tranny is still smooth (158K miles) and I can't tell more if I didn't go over 9 psi. I have a tranny cooler and I believe it helps quite a bit. 1 thing I learned is the radiator must be cooler than normal, because it also helps cooling the tranny fluid as it travels through the radiator before going to the extra cooler. I also have the Lextreme torque converter so that part of the tranmission is in the safe zone.

you do know that a higher stall converter creates more heat? I'd go with a pretty big cooler, if not 2. Most run the cooler in line with the factory cooler, but in front of the radiator.