Ebay Rebuild Engine Kit

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
I have a friend recently got an engine rebuild kit from ebay. We were comparing the ebay version vs. the Toyota/Lexus version. There were lots of misc and little parts missing in the Ebay kit. So if you are going to do a complete rebuild choosing an original kit will save you few trips to the dealer and some headaches and delay.

yep, but for $100 its a cheap starting point, and the quality is fine

looking on ebay i dont find anything wile searching 1uz engine rebuild kit or sc400 engine rebuild kit could you link to an example of one of these 1uz engine rebuild kits?

excellet forums poster, thread as specified, will post again. recommeded AAA+++

I used a Lextreme kit as it was 100% complete and guranteed of OEM quailty.

Ed,

I note your new engine failed pretty badly after only 2,000klms. Do you feel the use of cheap parts has contributed in any way?

I know you look into everything you do with extreme care and then chase the best price but could it have backfired?

Given the cost of an engine rebuild and the saving on a non-genuine/incomplete gasket kit the savings are pretty nominal.

The postage of an eBay kit won't be any better then a Lextreme kit so the extra $50.00 or so dollars looks small when you then need to go down to Mr Toyota to be raped for the additional gaskets you need.

XR8tt,

Buy a few sets of gaskets in one hit from Lextreme (or anyone else in the States selling them) then put them on Australian eBay and you could end up with free gaskets. The postage on 12 gaskets won't be much more than 2 gaskets.

I have bought through Lex .. BUT didn't upgrade to steel type head gaskets... My blue there !!!
Sent and delivered in good time too...

I bought an eBay kit, basically just to get the valve cover seals, spark plug tube seals and a few other non-critical parts.

I certainly wouldn't put the rest of that kit inside any engine I'd be running hard. The intake, exhaust and head gaskets were junk.

the vvti kit uses coated MLS gaskets for the intake/head/exhaust gaskets

cant fault them whatsoever.

I believe the Ebay kit is good for NA only. If you look into long running engine or even for mildly boosted engine, I think Lextreme OEM kit is the good deal. That's why the 1UZFE is known for lasting for more than many other engines. You can have a running Honda or even other Toyota engine at about the same mileage as the 1UZFE, but they tend to leak badly and lose compression when the 1UZFE is still in very good shape. The head gaskets are the most important thing to consider about. I don't trust aftermarket head gaskets unless they're for high performance.

Do you feel the use of cheap parts has contributed in any way?

not in the slightest

not unless you count using ARP2000 bolts vs the ARPL19 bolts as being 'cheap'

indeed i used one of those ebay gasket kits, and used camshaft seals, cop seals, water bridge seals, waterpump seal, head gaskets (which looked entirely comparable to the HKS mls units i used on my last engine) timing cover and vvti seals, intake manifold gaskets, exhaust gaskets.

absolutely zero issues with any of those parts following around 20hrs dyno time and around 60 or 70 full noise dyno runs up to 10k rpm, and 1 test and tune at OP running around 70 odd laps.

on disassembly there was no indication of gasket fragility or prone failure. zero issues right there.

of course you make budget related decisions when building things, noone has bottemless pockets, but i hardly think this is an area where youre talking about the risk of a catastrophic failure. theyre just gaskets!

i use genuine timing belts, timing tensioners etc, genuine valve stem seals, and run custom rings etc. bottom end was all ACL race series

new engine will again use an egay top end kit mainly for the water bridge/ head gaskets and intake/exhaust gaskets

bottom end is getting special treatment indeed!

Guys,

I got a set of gasket rebuild kit from ebay for testing. There are couple things are missing from this kit.

* Upper/Lower Intake gaskets. There are 4 of the figure 8 metal gaskets but only one in my box.

* 4 water bridge gaskets were missing

Dont expect too much from these kits. You will need to make few runs to your local Lexus Dealer to get the rest. Ebay kit is head and above type of rebuild. So here are the parts you will need assuming all kits come complete.

* Front crank seal
* Rear Main Seal
* Oil Housing Seal (figure 8)

I am pretty sure there are others. One thing I hate the most is incomplete parts which you are trying to finish the job.