Need some Help please

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

V8_IS200_marcus

Hi guys, as you know im doing a swap in my Lexus IS200 but is200 ABS is part of the ECU so when i do away with the is200 ECU i have been thinking of ways to make the ABS work, My Q? to you guys is, could i use the LS400 ABS ECU as it is on its own and not part of the 1UZFE ECU, when i wired my 1UZFE ECU to the IS200 i had some wires left over and they are for the ABS, Would it work if i did this ???

You might have to run two ECUs.

Hi Lex, yea thats what i was going to do, but then i started to think about the LS400 ABS ECU......

but like you say i think i will have to stick with what i have...."ie" use the IS200 ecu just to run the ABS..

it will not be for long any way, as i will be swaping them for a links/plus ECU.....as soon as i have the cash to get it..:)

thanks any way mate

With the linkplus the ABS problem will still be there if you don't sort it now. The LS400 will only work if both cars have the same or very similar ABS signals from the wheels. The stock IS ABS computer may freak out without the engine present. There is a guy called Brad who does lots of MR2s, he did a very sexy sportcross (american IS200 , we call them altezza over here) with a 3uz from memory. Get hold of him and he may be able help - cheers

With the linkplus the ABS problem will still be there if you don't sort it now. The LS400 will only work if both cars have the same or very similar ABS signals from the wheels. The stock IS ABS computer may freak out without the engine present. There is a guy called Brad who does lots of MR2s, he did a very sexy sportcross (american IS200 , we call them altezza over here) with a 3uz from memory. Get hold of him and he may be able help - cheers

Hi mate, yea i have seen his IS300 Sportcross he did very nice,
the stock IS ABS is part of the Engine ECU, so i think the only way im going to get this to work is use the IS200 ECU as a piggy/back to work the ABS

There are 2 to 3 guys over here in the UK Running the HKS ECU and there ABS is working ok, so i can not see why i could not do the same with the Links ECU

any one know what the ABS signal is on the LS400, i can then see if the my IS one is the same?

Thanks guys for your help...:)

I dont know think that the input signals will be your problem, its the output control to the pump module that I would be worried about and whether or not the LS ecu could control the IS pump.

One thing that might be something to think about and might be easier is to graft in the LS pump module inplace of the IS unit.

IMHO, learn to modulate the brakes on the threshold of lockup and due away with the ABS all together being that ABS systems actually hurt you stopping distance. ABS systems only work properly with 100% stock setups. A change in brakes and or tires for the better will not gain the full benifit of the upgrade in tires and or brakes (tires being the main thing here).

ABS systems activate based on deceleration rate, not actual wheel lock-up as many think. Old 1st generation systems did infact look for lookup, but although it was safer then no ABS, it still was not truely effective. an example of the problems with the first systems was lets say you locked the wheels while in a sharp turn (especially at high speeds) the wheel along with not spinning, it also would start sliding sideways, well yes the ABS system would activate and allow the wheel to start spinning, but it didn't recover the sliding of the wheel soon enough. The fix fopr that was to have the abs prevent wheel lockup altogether (i.e. activate before the wheel locks altogether). To do this, they monitor deceleration rate over time (i.e. deceleration G-force). Well this is great if you have stock tires, but an upgrade to larger foot print and higher traction tires allows for higher deceleration rates due to more traction from the tires, but the ABS unit doesn't know this. Basically for example purposes a particular system may be calibrated with a stock setup at lets say 1G of deceleration rate and you upgrade the tires and the new setup will generate enough traction to support 1.25G's of deceleration, well the ABS is still going to activate a 1G so the addition traction avalible is not being used.

Dont get me wrong here, ABS systems are still a very good thing to have especially in adverse weather conditions, but from a performance standpoint, they are not that great.

Attachments

• Volkswagen_W16.jpg
    Volkswagen_W16.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1
I dont know think that the input signals will be your problem, its the output control to the pump module that I would be worried about and whether or not the LS ecu could control the IS pump.

One thing that might be something to think about and might be easier is to graft in the LS pump module inplace of the IS unit.

IMHO, learn to modulate the brakes on the threshold of lockup and due away with the ABS all together being that ABS systems actually hurt you stopping distance. ABS systems only work properly with 100% stock setups. A change in brakes and or tires for the better will not gain the full benifit of the upgrade in tires and or brakes (tires being the main thing here).

ABS systems activate based on deceleration rate, not actual wheel lock-up as many think. Old 1st generation systems did infact look for lookup, but although it was safer then no ABS, it still was not truely effective. an example of the problems with the first systems was lets say you locked the wheels while in a sharp turn (especially at high speeds) the wheel along with not spinning, it also would start sliding sideways, well yes the ABS system would activate and allow the wheel to start spinning, but it didn't recover the sliding of the wheel soon enough. The fix fopr that was to have the abs prevent wheel lockup altogether (i.e. activate before the wheel locks altogether). To do this, they monitor deceleration rate over time (i.e. deceleration G-force). Well this is great if you have stock tires, but an upgrade to larger foot print and higher traction tires allows for higher deceleration rates due to more traction from the tires, but the ABS unit doesn't know this. Basically for example purposes a particular system may be calibrated with a stock setup at lets say 1G of deceleration rate and you upgrade the tires and the new setup will generate enough traction to support 1.25G's of deceleration, well the ABS is still going to activate a 1G so the addition traction avalible is not being used.

Dont get me wrong here, ABS systems are still a very good thing to have especially in adverse weather conditions, but from a performance standpoint, they are not that great.

Hi mate, thanks for your input, some good points there,but as to doing away with the ABS!! dont think i would fill safe doing that.....:boggled: But then it could well come to that, at the end of the day if i can not geting it working the way it should be, then this could well be the best thing to do.

I will let you guys know how i get on....and what way i will be going with this...:)

Thanks for all your help guys.....1st class as all ways

are u sure the engine ecu does the abs

does the wiring from the abs wheel sensors go into the std is200 ecu

i know older 1js have an abs wire in the engine ecu which is either an on or off trigger or might even be just a speed signal

if i get time ill dig up my is200 diagrams and see how it works

from what ive seen in the past i thought it was stuff like air con and maybe some traction control wires went to main ecu

most later lexus cars have a seperate abs/trc ecu

so first chase up where the abs wheel sensor wires go and that will be the abs ecu

are u sure the engine ecu does the abs

does the wiring from the abs wheel sensors go into the std is200 ecu

i know older 1js have an abs wire in the engine ecu which is either an on or off trigger or might even be just a speed signal

if i get time ill dig up my is200 diagrams and see how it works

from what ive seen in the past i thought it was stuff like air con and maybe some traction control wires went to main ecu

most later lexus cars have a seperate abs/trc ecu

so first chase up where the abs wheel sensor wires go and that will be the abs ecu

Hi mate, you have a GOOD point there, just been to have alook to make sure ......sorry guys there i was thinking it was the ABS wires.... its the TRC wires......

so sorry for wasting your time with this guys, :boggled: Me BAD

next time i post i should wake/up 1st before i post................

no probs trc should hopefully not cause any probs to abs ecu

lexus cars can be confusing

they can have an abs ecu and also an abs/trc ecu and maybe even a trc ecu

all in one car