Need A340 auto info to convert to manual

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

ivan129

BlownZX
Hi, I'm wanting to convert an A340E auto to be a manual shift box. I've read an article somewhere, don't remember where though about someone who's done it. Does anyone have any information on this? Can anyone supply me with a schematic / drawing of the auto connector showing where the solonoids appear.
I am also after info on the speed sensors, which one is what gear etc and pinout for the shifter connector.
Any info on this would be much appreciated.

Please send info to:- [email protected]

a340 wiring

This was an article I found here by lambo, it may help. I'm using a tiptronic box from the usa http://radesignsproducts.com/aboutus.aspx . There's a lot of info on this site, but takes some chasing. Have a read of the article below then feel free to ask questions

By LAMBO - Default Tranny Solinoid info
Default Decoded Version........
1st = S1 On S2 Off

2nd = S1 On S2 On

3rd = S1 Off S2 On

OD = S1 Off S2 Off

or

Ect and a/t indicator
Previous automatic transmissions have selected each gear shift using mechanically controlled throttle hydraulic pressure, governor hydraulic pressure and lock–up hydraulic pressure. The ect, however, electrically controls the line pressure, throttle pressure, lock–up pressure and accumulator pressure etc. Through the solenoid valve. The ect is a system which precisely controls gear shift timing and lock–up timing in response to the vehicle’s driving conditions and the engine condition detected by various sensors, making smooth driving possible by shift selection for each gear which is the most appropriate to the driving conditions at that time, and by preventing vehicle downing, squat and gear shift shock when starting off.
1. Gear shift operation
When driving, the engine warm up condition is input as a signal to terminal (b)44 of the ecu from the efi water temp. Sensor and the vehicle speed signal from speed sensor no.2 is input to terminal (b)23 of the ecu. At the same time, the throttle valve opening signal from the throttle position sensor (main) is input to terminal (b)43 of the ecu as engine rpm condition (idling, high load and acceleration conditions) signal. Based on these signals, the ecu selects the best shift position for driving conditions and sends current to the ect solenoids.

When shifting to 1st speed, the current flows from terminal (b)10 of the ecu " terminal 3 of ect solenoids " ground and continuity to no.1 solenoid causes the shift (no.2 solenoid does not have continuity at this time).

For 2nd speed, the current flows simultaneously from terminal (b)9 of the ecu " terminal 6 of ect solenoids " ground, and from terminal (b)10 of the ecu " terminal 3 of ect solenoids " ground, and continuity to no.1 and no.2 solenoids causes the shift.

For 3rd speed, there is no continuity to no.1 solenoid, only to no.2 solenoid, causing the shift.

Shifting into the 4th speed (overdrive) occurs when no current flows to no.1 and no.2 solenoids. The no.4 solenoid (for accumulator back pressure modulation) is installed to adjust the back pressure on the accumulator and control the hydraulic pressure during shifting and lock–up in order to provide smooth shifting with little shift shock.

2. Lock–up operation
When the ect ecu decides, based on each signal, that the lock–up condition has been met, the current through fuse flows from the efi main relay " terminal 2 of ect solenoids " terminal 5 " terminal (b) 14 of the ecu " ground, so continuity to no.3 solenoid (for lock–up) causes lock–up.

3. Stop light sw circuit
If the brake pedal is depressed (stop light sw on) when driving in lock–up condition, a signal is input to terminal (a)4 of the ecu. The ecu operates and cuts the current to the solenoid to release lock–up.

4. Overdrive circuit
* o/d main sw on - When the o/d main sw is turned on (sw point is open), a signal is input to terminal (a)28 of the ecu and the ect causes shift to overdrive when the conditions for overdrive are met.
* o/d main sw off - When the o/d main sw is turned off (sw point is closed), the current flowing through the o/d off indicator light flows to ground by way of the o/d main sw and causes the o/d off indicator light to light up. At the same time, a signal is input to terminal (a)28 of the ecu and the ect prevents shift into overdrive.

5. Ect pattern select sw circuit
When the ect pattern select sw is changed from “normal” to “power”, the current through the gauge fuse flows to terminal 4 of ect pattern select sw " terminal 3 " terminal (b)4 of a/t indicator " terminal (c)23 " ground and causes the indicator light to light up. At the same time, the current flows to terminal (a)18 of the ecu and the ecu performs shift up and shift down at a higher vehicle speed range compared with
“normal” position.

6. Kick down operation
When the accelerator is depressed further than the full throttle position while driving, the kick down sw turns on and its signal is input to terminal (a)3 of the ecu. Then, the ecu controls the current which flows from terminals (b)10 and (b)9 of the ecu to the no. 1 and no. 2 solenoids and shifts down by turning the solenoids on and off.

7. Cruise control
When cruise control operation is selected a signal is input to terminal (a)12 of the ecu from cruise control ecu. As a result, the ecu operates and controls overdrive, lock–up and so on for smooth driving.

System outline
E 1 ect solenoid
1–4 : approx. 5.3
2–5 : approx. 3.7
3–ground : approx. 13.2
6–ground : approx. 13.2
E 2 efi water temp. Sensor
1–2 : approx. 16.2k (–20°c –4°f)
Approx. 2.5k (20°c 68°f)
Approx. 0.32k (80°c 176°f)
E 8 ect pattern select sw
4–3 : closed with ect pattern select sw at power position
E 9(a), e10(b) engine and ect ecu
Batt – e1: always approx. 12 volts
Igsw – e1: approx. 12 volts with ignition sw on
Bk – e1: approx. 12 volts with brake pedal depressed
P – e1: approx. 12 volts with ignition sw on position and ect pattern select sw at power position
Kd–ground :continuity with kick down sw on
Od2 – e1: approx. 12 volts with o/d main sw on
0 volts with o/d main sw on
+b–ground : approx. 12 volts with ignition sw at on position
+b1–ground : approx. 12 volts with ignition sw at on position
Mrel–ground:approx. 12 volts with ignition sw at on position
E01–ground : always continuity
E02–ground : always continuity
L–ground : approx. 12 volts with shift lever at “l” range
2–ground : approx. 12 volts with shift lever at “2” range
R–ground : approx. 12 volts with shift lever at “r” range
E1–ground : always continuity
Vc–vta1 : less than 1 volts with throttle valve fully closed
More than 3 volts with throttle valve open
Vta1 – e2: continuity with throttle valve fully closed
Approx. 4k with throttle valve fully open
Vc – e2: approx. 5 volts
O 1 o/d direct clutch speed sensor
1–2 : approx. 620
S 4 speed sensor no.2 (for ect)
1–2 : approx. 620
S12 stop light sw
2–1 : closed with brake pedal depressed

Confused join the crowd
REGARDS
LAMBO

hi guys i am running the 1uzfe in my mk2 supra with the standard lexus auto
we have made up our on box of tricks to run the transmission which controls
a couple of relays which turns power on and off to the solenoids, we have
basically turned it into a manual changing auto, but only in 3rd can u put overdrive
on, we have removed the park lock pin off the shifter and located it under
the stickshifter in drive(3) position so when overdrive is switched on as normal
the lockout pin, locks the shifter in drive(3) position, this is to stop me from pressing the button on top of the shifter to change gear to stop me going from overdrive into 2nd gear, now you all know u can go between drive and secound when u want, i have altered the gate system on the shifter so u have to push the button on the top of the shifter to get 2nd but u can still go forward from 2nd to drive like normal, this system that me and my mate have come up with works very well and i am impressed by how well it drives, lots of people told me it couldn't be done, f***em i've done it, next mission is to change the circut board in our box and alter it so we can accept a few signals from the steering wheel to change gears now if that works awsome,next year we start that mission.
hope thats shed some light on whether it can be done on not? hell yeah! it works

a340 pt2

This was what I worked out, ignore colours of some wires as they are mine - but info should help. Attached a pic I found on Lextreme.

Tiptronic Box
Tip active Double Red Connected - Manual mode
Automatic Double Red Disconnected - Automatic
Torque Conv Double Blue - connected - turns S3 on
Tip Buttons Pwr Red - power out to Tip Up/Down
Tip Up Black - Tip Up
Tip Down White - Tip down
S1 Green - 12v to S1 when active
S2 Brown - 12v to S2 when active
S3 (Lockup) Purple - 12 to S3 when active (This changed to earth swithching using relay on Drv side of gearshift??-check)

White plug to gearbox (on tunnel)
12V Dble R/W 12v to gearbox (+ tiptronic)
S1 Bu/Bk
S2 Gr/Bk
S3 Gr/W

1 - Gr/Y Park
2 - Bk/W N.S.W. (Neutral Start Switch)
3 - Bk/Bu N.S.W. (Neutral Start Switch)
4. R/Bk Reverse
5 - Gr/W Drive
6 - Gr/R Neutral
7 - Gr/O 2nd
8 - Gr/Bk Low
9 - R/Bu Batt + Gr/W

Small Yellow 5 wire plug on tunnel - check??? - output for crown speedo gear lights???
Gr/Y - 12V out in park (could use for turbo timer or remote start?)
Black?
Gr/R?
R/Bk - Reverse
Gr/W - Batt+

Attachments

• a340_box_pinouts.jpg
    a340_box_pinouts.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 176
Hi Ivan129,

be careful in doing it if the box is not beefed up or in poor condition?
Have a talk to the boys from MV auto in south australia, they are the best in Oz for tricking up these boxs.

I have a 30-40le box in my ls400 that has been modified to a stage2, an use a B&M rachet shifter.

Dual TB's, Whiteline swapbars, 97 RZ Supra brakes, Airbag & controller

just dont use an mv autos shift controller\
they sukcx dogs balls
i make my own and work ok never fail
the above info just sounds too bloooodddyyy complicated

just make a unit so when yr in 1st u select solenoid 1
when yr in second it selects solenoid 1 and 2
when your in 3rd it selects solenoid 2
to get to overdrive u need to turn power off to both solenoids

only prob is why do u want to go manual on an auto
im telling you now that if its a daily driver u will eventually hate shifting manually
and u need to rememebr to turn off yr overdrive switch each time to go down gears
and sometimes when u stop at a set of lights u forget to reselect overdrive off then put in first

Hi Hypronet.
Sorry to hijack but how did you find the mv autos shift kit? I rang him today and I am going to send my stall converter and valve body to him. Will go for a 2600 stall and probly a stage 1.5 or 2. How hard does it shift. Im aiming for doing some draging but not ready to step up to a glide untill I have a bit more power. Cheers
Hi Ivan129,

be careful in doing it if the box is not beefed up or in poor condition?
Have a talk to the boys from MV auto in south australia, they are the best in Oz for tricking up these boxs.

I have a 30-40le box in my ls400 that has been modified to a stage2, an use a B&M rachet shifter.

Hi Hypronet.
Sorry to hijack but how did you find the mv autos shift kit? I rang him today and I am going to send my stall converter and valve body to him. Will go for a 2600 stall and probly a stage 1.5 or 2. How hard does it shift. Im aiming for doing some draging but not ready to step up to a glide untill I have a bit more power. Cheers

HI krayn,

My gearbox was sent to MV where they tweaked the valve bodies and installed hd clutches an a 3200 stallie.

The ecu controller for the box was supplied by sideshow (u can find him on this forum), but its a special 1, as i am using a 30-41le gearbox which has 2 lockups not like the A340 or A341 that has a single lockup.

I use a B&M racket shifter, so i can use it as a normal auto or manual shift it though the gears for when im dragging.
Driving it as a auto is good, smooth changes just like a normal box, but u dont get that slip waiting feeling thought the gears like a std box.

sorry for late reply,was expecting a notification, and thanks for all your advice, still sounds too complicated for me. no i dont want to have to manually change gear its just how its been left so i could use for a few months over the summer and iwould prefer it back to normal auto config. im trying to find some one who could fit a transmission controller for me local hopefully.

just another quick question, seeing that ive had all the plugs cut from my transmission loom on the ecu end and all i have is about 25 + wires. is the plugs on the gearbox accessible from underneath easy enough and what are the clips like to remove.
geof

The connectors are accessable and have a release tab you need to press to remove them. Be careful as the connectors can become brittle and easy to break off the release tab. There are plenty of pictures of them if you google. If the connectors haven't been removed for sometime its always a good idea to clean around them swirt some WD40 around them and give m a good wobble before attempting removal. u'll work it out.