Methanol.

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Pro

i'm wondering if anyone out there has had first hand experience with methanol as a fuel.

i understand it's quite corrosive to anything of a petroleum nature (rubber hoses, plastic tanks etc) but how is it with standard metal...?

my thinking is i can build a fuel system using bundy tube and use brake quality joiners instead of fuel line/worm clamps.

this way i can use a relatively cheap fuel and get the most out of the engine.

it's $AU220 for a 44gal drum of methanol at Shell.

Dont forget the cheap cost of the fuel is quickly offset by the 6.4:1 stoich. So you need around 2.3 times as much of it compared to something like RF100 (or avgas as it was formally known), depending on your plans for the car it may be cheaper to run a petroleum fuel. RF100 is around the $350 per 44gal from memory, although have been buying it in 20L drums for past couple of years.

hey thanks for the reply Ryan.

yeah i figured that the cost would be offset by the rich running nature of methanol - but it's mainly for the drags anyway so it's no biggie.

although what's a 20L drum of RF100 cost you? that's about 4.5gal yeah? it's still only 100RON though isn't it?

Methanol also loves to eat aluminium as it is slightly acidic. Not too much of a problem in a drag situation as long as you flush the system after.

Some big injectors, plenty of forced air, good head studs, big cams, good spark advance control, just to name a few to start with.

Not an easy conversion but as a fuel it has plenty of bang.

Methaonol, as stated already, is corrosive to "bare" aluminum. Stainless components are the standard when using methanol, as it mixes readily with water and can allow corrosion on mild steel parts as well (doesnt burn to well either). It may even require changing the ignition curve as it probably does not have the same burn rate as gasoline.

In addition to the volume that has to be used, in comparison to gasoline, the system would have to flushed out with gasoline if the car is to sit for more than a few days. You have to get all of the methanol out and make sure the contaminated gasoline (mixed with methanol) gets out as well, since they form a jelly like substance that can clog filters and injectors.

The worst problem with methanol is the fire problem. It burns with no visible flame and will light easily if you have a leak near the exhaust. It can be put out with water though. IRL cars and CART/Champ cars run methanol and are very cautious when it comes to refueling.

On the plus side it does provide a great way to cool the intake charge.

Steve-o

or you could just use Ethanol. if you can find any. its not corrosive to rubber and aluminum and its not poisonios to the human body. but otherwise its the same.

Gas + water injection > alcohol
If the water is in danger of freezing, mix ethyl alcohol in with it.

okay i'm seeing a few more downsides to methanol than i forst thought.

was going to use methanol WITH water injection.

i have been interested of late in using ammonia / water injection because it has a very high hydrogen and oxygen content.

i might just stick with LPG and be done with it.

liquified petroleum gas.

it's a natural gas (renewable resource) that australia has been using for 15 years or so now.

half the price of petrol.

has a RON of between 102 and 106 depending on the refiner. most in Australia is refined by Kleenheat and is 102RON.

lpg is mainly propane & butane from the oil refining process. Natural gas is mainly made up of methane along with other gases. LNG liquified Natural Gas & LPG Liquifid Petroleum gas are different.

LNG is the next world energy source.
Anyway Methanol is a good fuel but not a cheap option in the long run.