manual transmission swaps

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

dangina

Hi - new to the forum. I'm thinking of doing a manual swap with a 1uz but with 5 or 6 speed gearbox. Looking to get 400 - 550hp with a turbo, just wondering what manual transmissions you guys are using that will support this horsepower reliably. I have a buddy who swapped a stock 1uz with W58 into a AE86 with no problems - it dyno'd at 273HP and 286lbs of torque. He's been running it for a year now with no problems, but I wanna go bigger. I won't say what car its going into yet, as of right now I have the engine, just looking for transmission ideas and what cars they're out of. I would like to mate a 6 speed but the W58 wasn't overly expensive for a 5 speed either. I know all the custom things I'll have to do to the car, here I'm just looking purely for manual transmissions that mate to the 1uz with parts/bellhousings/adapter plates that are available. Thanks!

I should probably mention its going into a rwd car. Been searching and have found the Audi 016 transmission is another idea but can't find hp ratings or prices...

Last edited:
Stay away from the W58 if you're turboing the car; it won't last with the torque the 1UZ will put out, turboed. That's why Toyota used it in only the NA MKIV Supra, but went to the V160 for the turbo model.

On the Toyota side your choices are R154, out of the MKIII Supra and others, which are still fairly cheap & plentiful, or the V160 out of the MKIV Supra, which are neither cheap nor plentiful.

Others are currently developing T56 solutions.

Many are using the Audi 016 behind small block Chevies and Fords for kitcars, so it should be fine for a turbo 1UZ.

it's my understanding that the w58's behind the jz cars were much stronger than their counterparts from other vehicles because they used a steel bearing plate in the middle of the tranny instead of an aluminum one like you find in most w5X series trannies. I've also know of a local mkiv guy that's na-t, and he's pushing over 350 hp and even more torque to the wheels. And it's been holding up fairly well. So I think it depends on what w58 you have.
btw, I dyno'd and tuned the car myself.

^Thats interesting about the w58's, I also like the fact that 1uzfe fully dressed w/58 transmission is around 450lbs..does anyone know what the weight of the 1uz with the R154 or V160? The car is very front heavy so shaving more weight is a concern as well as its ability to withstand the hp

^Thats interesting about the w58's, I also like the fact that 1uzfe fully dressed w/58 transmission is around 450lbs..does anyone know what the weight of the 1uz with the R154 or V160? The car is very front heavy so shaving more weight is a concern as well as its ability to withstand the hp

I don't know who gave you that weight figure, but I had a 1UZ on a precision hanging scale, without all the accessories (no alternator, A/C or P/S pumps), and it came in by itself @ 398lbs, dry.

I would think with accessories, oil & coolant, you'd be looking at 450lbs just for the motor, and I'm guessing the gearbox would run 125-160lbs.

450 for the block sounds correct as the lsx motors are around 405 with accessories.

I haven't have a chance to weigh the gearboxes, but those numbers seem high as I can curl 130 lbs but I can curl the W58 and it feels like about 60 someodd pounds and the r154 is right around 120 lbs dry. just my guesses till I get them on the scale. I keep on putting it off.

go with the t-56 for a six speed cheaper than the v-160 i am working on getting a flywheel designed to take a 10.5 inch clutch from older cameros with the 5.0 and use a fidenza insert so easy to replace. clutches for them are cheap and can hold the power..

just ordered a insert from findenza to get the measurements to finish my flywheel then i have to go get it cut. if i wasn't always gone for work this would be done by now. i have decided to go with the mustang pressure plate 10.5 inch then just use a old 5.0 camero clutch disc. to mate up to the t-56 and clutches are much cheaper this way...

its a 10.5 inch but it on back order placed the order on 8-2 and now there telling me the end of september damn jegs they said it was going to ship 8-2 waited two weeks before i found out it wasn't coming