Manual Transmission cooler?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

sniper

Super Moderator
We all know that there are coolers on automatics and the benefits are very well known, but what about manual transmission? Can it be done? is it needed? Would it help the trans live longer? I am using an R154 in my S13 track car project and I am adding coolers everywhere in the hopes of keeping the parts nice and happy while i beat the snot out of them.

if you really abuse the trans for long periods of time, hours of hard track time ect yes it ill help keep the trans fluid temps under control
the problem is automatics have a fluid pump where manuals dont. so an eletric pump is needed.

its even more important with diffs, sence limited slip diffs fnction on friction and that creates heat. you get the idea. try touching a drift cars diff after a run, its as hot as the motor. cooler = good idea.

We all know that there are coolers on automatics and the benefits are very well known, but what about manual transmission? Can it be done? is it needed? Would it help the trans live longer? I am using an R154 in my S13 track car project and I am adding coolers everywhere in the hopes of keeping the parts nice and happy while i beat the snot out of them.

My Porsche had a trans cooler factory option. I plan looking for a solution at some point too for my R154...

Sniper, there's a easy mod to do. The sx has got a diff oil cooler, get the same tipe pump and cooler, pickup of the pump goes to the drainplug and the return goes to the refill hole. Quite easy to do. You can even wire in the temp switch off the sx diff too.

I was thinking about this the other day... I was driving my Tacoma with the W58 trans and when I drive it for a long time it gets more warm than average but not hot. The oil is pretty young in it and I don't remember it getting that warm so I'm going to put a different oil in it. I'm going to pony up and put an expensive oil in it this time in order to prep it for the 1UZ power :crazy:.

I'm going to be watching the temp of the transmission when I throw in the new motor and decide then if I need a cooler. It's a good idea since it will increase the capacity of the oil also. And I have a feeling you will be putting it to the test considering what happened to your other car!! hehe. The temp is basically the only thing you are concerned about so keep an eye on it first. One of my good friends works at the best transmission shop in town and they do transmissions in everything you can imagine. I'll ask the owner of that shop what he thinks on this when I pick him up for lunch. :scratchchin:

I have an RX-7 oil cooler on standby in case my tranny heats up at all. I'll be using a laser temperature reader to keep an eye on things. You can get those laser temp pointers everywhere for $50 now so I HIGHLY recommend people get on to use one on all your stuff as they are really accurate. They are the best thing in the world for checking inner-middle-outer tire temps at the race track. I don't know how they did it before laser temp sensors... I'm not that old :silly: