LS 400 into old Ford van

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

3 LIONS

I'm a newbi so don't know much about posting on this forum,
At the moment I am having a LS400 engine put into my 90 Hilux Surf by a guy who has done this swap a few times before.I also own an old Ford van with a V6 carbed lump in it,electric fuel pump and electronic(luminiton) ignition ,and was thinking that I have heard so many good things about the LS 400 engine that perhaps I could fit one in the Ford.The top guy doing the Surf swap only works on Surf's btw.
The Ford doesn't have any computer boxes or stuff, just basic electrics,how would it be possible to wire up the LS engine just so the engine/G box worked without all the other wiring.
Also can anyone tell me is it possible to run two seperate exhaust pipes minus cats from front to back as I have heard some stuff about joining the pipes or you loose power.
Thanks.

3Lions,

Yes you can run the engine and gearbox off the 1UZ ECU in any vehicle regardless of its age. My Range Rover's most sophisticated bit of electronics was the 5 relays that ran it or the tachometer! You don't need to integrate much of the ECU's input/output into the Ford loom.

You should run the O2 sensors otherwise the ECU will start throwing fault codes and run like a dog.

Dual exhausts are quite acceptable and they don't need a balance pipe. Ioodn't run one. It does change the aural quality of the engine but doesn't effect performance.

you will not be happy with the torque on a 1uz (non-vvti) in a van. Find yourself a 351 and put some decent factory heads on it and you'd be much happier. I have an sc400 and couldn't imagine the 1uz torque as adequate in a van. I have two vans and i even miss the torque in the one with the 350 vs. the one with the 400, i can't imagine a 242.

well i did see he is in europe so it may be a smaller style ford van in europe, not sure. My experiences are with 1 ton chevy vans.

I did drive a sequoia and was impressed with the low-end torque vs. the 1uz. So if you really wanted a uz, a 2uz may do it for you, but it still won't be a "stump puller".

Thanks for all the help people. I now have a better idea on why people use the larger GM or FORD V8's in vans as opposed to the revy jap engines.
With regards the wiring I didn't explain it too well,I meant that I didn't want all the dash/lights/AC, etc, wiring,only the engine's loom to be fixed up.
Someone noted that I'm from europe, sort of(we don't class England as european),the van is a MKII 1978 FORD Transit that has a V6 ESSEX lump and the diff is a JAG locker(IRS),the ESSEX has stacks of torque and if the LS cant improve on that then I will def go the Ford or Chev old school V8 route.
I'm sure I will enjoy the new power in the surf.I see Toyota are recalling some cars as the accelorator might stick open,I always thought my surf's pedal was stuck shut !!
Now I have to pick a good pair of mufflers for the lexsurf ?
Once again thanks all.
BTW, NZ must be one of the most beautifull countries on this planet.

The V6 is around 130 kw while the 1UZ is 180kw and an extra 1000 rpm..
The final drive / gearing makes a heap of difference in a van..
The Essex V6 [early at least] was not a durable engine...
V8 in Capri in any engine requires sump mods!!
In a van like Transit ?? There wouldn't be too many issues with sump..

As the old Robert Muldoon, P.M of N.Z said...
For every Kiwi going to Aussie to live ...
The I.Q goes up in both countries... Lol...

Last edited:
Wow I wish I hadn't said anything about how nice NZ looked without saying anything about Oz as well,you guys are almost as bad as the scots and us.Mind you ,you never went to war against each other like we did,but then there is quite a bit of water between ya.lol

I think the torque/bhp from the 1UZ should be enough to push the old girl along at a good rate when needed and I have a AC/DC Tig at home so if needed I can alter the sump.

Also the 1UZ must be lighter than the essex, I know it(the essex) was designed as a diesel thats why the pistons are the shape they are. Some places here in England sell parts to make the essex go like stink but it gets expensive and at the end of the day it's still only a 6 cylinder and not a V8.
At the moment mines running on old leaded heads and doing about 20miles max to the gallon and at £1.15p to the litre(aprox £5.50p/gallon).It's going to cost £500 to get the heads done or close to £700 for a new pair of bare unleaded heads. I can get a good complete LS400 for around £600.
Thats why the LS looked like a good option.
Thanks for the info guys,all the best.

Last edited:
Comparing a pushrod V6, chamber in piston from 1960's to a 32valve dohc V8 is chalk and cheese..

Yea it will go better and if gearing is half reasonable?? Fuel consumption would be too...

The lower section of sump is steel and I doubt it would be as tight as a Capri..

AC/DC in this case is not a pop group.. They are touring N.Z now.. Lol...

Never been at war !!! What about the rugby ??? Lol...

if you are getting 20mpg in a van that is amazing. The most i get out of my sc400 is 24 strictly highway, 26 one time in ideal conditions.

The way Australia is going I think they will all be heading back soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8tt
Comparing a pushrod V6, chamber in piston from 1960's to a 32valve dohc V8 is chalk and cheese..

He might be just an Australian, but he's right about that.

Hey Bro your alittle wrong there...
Look at my avatar !!!
Waikato through and through...

My van's essex lump has already been converted to front sump so it clears the front clip with a deep section welded in to increase the vol(I didn't do it,it was like that when I got it). An oil cooler has been fitted along side the rad.Could this mean it has some sort of after mkt oil pump, I havn't had to have the sump pan off yet .

Whats Rugby? oh that game played with a silly shaped ball,I played it at school and was quite good at it but it always reminded me of a controlled fight.And didn't we win the world cup at that(on Oz turf as well).
There is only one game,more of a religion, and that is football(not the gridiron crap).
Going to watch it in the late 80's early 90's was like going to war,and we did it every Saturday.

BTW I saw AC/DC at Wembly in 1987'ish (For those about to rock) and are still the best live band I have ever seen.

Take care all.

3 lions quote I'm a newbi so don't know much about posting on this forum,
At the moment I am having a LS400 engine put into my 90 Hilux Surf by a guy who has done this swap a few times before.

is vince doing the conv per chance?

hi!

well have a few point to make!!

what is called a 1 ton truck in some parts of the world is called a 2.5 ton truck in other parts!!

then the other point is that if one is determined enough one can get any motor and transmission to match and fit into any body style!!
weather its worth the money and effort then is a matter of personal opinion!!

self have an Essex V6, in a Mazda B- series, that was sold in South Africa as a Ford!!
here we hot them in a 3.0L and then later the 3.4L

self looking a pulling out the Essex motor and fitting a lexus V8 into the same space, the only advantage that I have is that I'm not the 1st one doint this conversions locally!! so advice is available!!

here is my set up, traylor as in pic, 1.6 tons
and its about to get a little longer and a little heavier, hence the reason for
the V8

then when comparing to the American V8s,this Lexus V8 is the way to go
for various reason!!

lexus V8, is lighter, and more fuel efficient!!
and make the same power/torque with 1000cc at least less!!
is smaller
and revs higher easier!!

self have done all that homework and ended up deciding on the lexus!!

follow the link and have a look at the treads that I have started on one of our local sites looking for the ans

http://www.fourwheeler.biz/forum/viewforum.php?f=8

only you can decide what you need/want

however have done a similar exercise, maybe for different reasons
and decided on the Lexus V8

good luck and enjoy!!