SC400 Cold Air Intake project Big photos warning

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

sniper

Super Moderator
So I finally got around to using up the 3" mandrel tube i had lying around to make this cold air intake for my SC400. Here are some shots, sorry about the high rez photos!

sc400coldair002.jpg

sc400coldair003.jpg

I also welded a 1/4" tube for the PS line

sc400coldair005.jpg

Its still not yet done, i have to weld a mounting tab to the first part to hold it in place and then i will paint it. It sounds amazing at Redline!

Nice tig welding... Grind it out and powder coat it matt black will look awesome...... There is a place local to my place and I can get it done for you for free.

I am wondering how you are channelling in the air into your intake from under the car? Looks like you got it coming from the wheel well, and if so how do you plan to filter that?

Nice work....

We don't need no stinkin filter! lol
You're tough, man...I don't know if you mean it or were just kidding. Anway, the filter cone makes the air more concentrated and goes faster to the TB. That's why a proper structure shape of the filter cone is important. You'll see a slight improvement with a good cone. I tried that before. I'm sure you'll see around 10 rwhp. I saw around 5-7 whp on a 4 cylinder Honda just with this mod. However, the Honda has very restrictive intake system so it sees more improvement with this cold air intake. To eliminate the water, you may use the ByPass Valve by AEM. That thing works very good to drop the water before it goes past its valve. Great job.....

You're tough, man...I don't know if you mean it or were just kidding. Anway, the filter cone makes the air more concentrated and goes faster to the TB. That's why a proper structure shape of the filter cone is important. You'll see a slight improvement with a good cone. I tried that before. I'm sure you'll see around 10 rwhp. I saw around 5-7 whp on a 4 cylinder Honda just with this mod. However, the Honda has very restrictive intake system so it sees more improvement with this cold air intake. To eliminate the water, you may use the ByPass Valve by AEM. That thing works very good to drop the water before it goes past its valve. Great job.....

Just kiddin bro. I would never run my intake without a filter. It would foul the injectors wouldn't it? All kinds of nastyness would be scooped in from the fender well. It looks like a great system, don't get me wrong. Just missing that one piece of the puzzle. Maybe it's insidee the plumbing? I did see some old old cars that did not run a filter though on Speed Channel. I think they were British and of course they had the old carb set up, not modern fuel injectors. I guess they could get away with a few leaves and such getting into the compression changer and burn it through lol!

Just kiddin bro. I would never run my intake without a filter. It would foul the injectors wouldn't it? All kinds of nastyness would be scooped in from the fender well. It looks like a great system, don't get me wrong. Just missing that one piece of the puzzle. Maybe it's insidee the plumbing? I did see some old old cars that did not run a filter though on Speed Channel. I think they were British and of course they had the old carb set up, not modern fuel injectors. I guess they could get away with a few leaves and such getting into the compression changer and burn it through lol!
How's that true cold air intake affecting the performance? I hope you didn't drive in the rain, or your engine is a goner without the AEM bypass valve that I mentioned. I always love that true cold air intake. A short ram intake wouldn't make any difference, but just noise.

Hey nice MAF adapter, where did you pick it up? I found one only from HKS and it was $75 and the idiots that said they could get it kept messing the order up so I gave up on it and made mine, but that looks like it has real smooth flow. Nice project!

i did this on an older engine build project... it did nothing but slow throttle response in the dry due to the length, and made big collections of water interesting in the wet. nil advantage over regular CAI with sensible ducting