Looking for a step or 2 colder plug for nitrous sc400 vvti

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

scfou

I'm looking for the inexpensive kind, roughly $2-$4/plug that would be good for a 75-100shot zex. I can't seem to get a part#. Also, I prefer only Denso or NGK.

I think I found the right plug. They are ngk:

pfr6g-11 = 1 step colder

pfr7g-11 = 2 steps colder

I'm leaning more to 2 steps colder plug for my 75 shot wet nitrous. What do you think? 1 step or 2?

I'm using the V-power NGK plugs for $2/each with my turbo Sc400 and they're just good so far. I don't remember exactly what part number or heat range (maybe range 6), but they're for the SC400. The seller almost gave me the hotter range for the SC300 (maybe range 5)and luckily I caught it, otherwise, I would have been in trouble. You can check on www.ngksparkplugs.com for specific application.

Have a set for sale but they are not cheapos. Brand new, 1 step colder. Need to check retail on them then I will make you a deal. I know they are not cheap.
SaleIRIDIUMik22.jpg

I use these: The NGK number 6097 is now 4644 and they are available at your local Napa for $2.09 each.

Part Number: NGK-4644

Shorty Spark Plug: No
Resistor: Yes
Manufacturer Heat Range: 7
Electrode Core Material: Copper
Electrode Tip Material: Nickel alloy
Insulator Type: Projected
Spark Plug Thread Size: 14mm
Spark Plug Reach: 0.750 in.
Spark Plug Seat Style: Gasket
Wrench Diameter: 5/8 in.
NGK Part Number BKR7E
ngk-4644_w.jpg

Last edited:
Lextreme is right on the money. This is exactly what I found out on another forum. 6097 is the ideal for FI applications, turbo, supercharger, nitrous. I believe it's 2 steps colder from stock, bkr5. Correct me if I'm wrong though, the higher the number the colder the plug.

Correct, the higher the number, the colder the plug. For FI applications, it depends upon the amount of boost you intend on running....I plan for between 15 to 30 lbs, so that meant 2 heat ranges colder, which is an 8. The stock plug is a 6 heat range. Lextreme's plug is 1 heat range colder, which may be perfect for your nitrous set up. Again, I am not sure about nitrous....Never researched it. All NGK plugs are made out of copper cores, and coated with other materials. A lot of the plugs used are copper/nickel for FI set ups. I have heard some state that platinum or Iridium are not good for FI, but I have not seen any evidence to back this up. It seems that the heat range is critical though. The colder the plug, the more the chance of fouling the plugs, so you want to match it up to your set up.

Hey plug and FI experts please chime in....

Ryan

Rite on..! Sometimes I wonder what am I still doing on CL? There's not much about V8's over there either. But in any case, I made a purchase through Rock Auto just last night, and their price will save you a buck or 2 compared to ebay.

I used NGK Iridium plugs on other turbo Hondas and they held up fine. I didn't try them on the 1UZ, though. The rule of thumb is using 1 step colder plugs for FI. I'm using the application specific V-power range for the SC400 because that plug is already cold.

Too cold of the plug will not burn the fuel enough and you'll lose the power. With Nitrous, as you don't run it all the time, cold plugs will get fouled during normal driving without Nitrous. So the best thing is you should compromise between normal driving and Nitrous.

I just installed the bkr7e's on my sc400 vvti. When I removed the old plugs they were actually iridiums. Also, there's this sticker nearby the plugs that say use iridiums only. Now would this be a problem?

I just installed the bkr7e's on my sc400 vvti. When I removed the old plugs they were actually iridiums. Also, there's this sticker nearby the plugs that say use iridiums only. Now would this be a problem?

I forgot to mention that I didn't even gap the new plugs. I'm sure they were in the .30ish range. Does that sound about right?

That shouldn't be a problem. In NA or FI engine, the only advantage of Iridium plug is it can withstand the heat longer, which in turn will make the plug last longer. But when comparing it to the Platinum plug (not recommended for FI), which is a hot type, I don't really see its advantage in combustion efficiency. The other related advantage is you can replace them when your major tune-up maintenance is on schedule, which may be around 100K miles. Platinum plug lasts less. For NA engines, I found the Bosch Platinum 4 is the best after I've spent hundreds of $ on different types of plugs on same or different cars.

i run the iridiums...I guess I have to research it better, I've been using the BKR7EIX-11 on my 98 GS400 with vvti 1uz running 8psi on my vortech supercharger. Made 394whp 337 tq.