Looking for a SLR Camera

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
This is my parameters:

Budget: $800 usd
Purpose: Able to take at low light and from a distant like 30-70 ft without flash
Brand: Nikon or Canon

Feed me.....

David,

We're doing exactly the same at the moment.

We have an old Nikon Coolpix 5000 that is being retired.

We looked at Nikon and Cannon but both have image stabilisation in the lenses which means you need to buy very specific lenses to get it. The correct lenses cost a good deal more. Note some other brands do stabilisation by altering f stops to increase shutter speed but this isn't true image stabilisation.

Both these cameras were priced around 1,200-1,500 Aussie.

With you budget (which is around what we're happy to spend) we look like going with the Pentax KX ( http://www.digitalfunstuff.com.au/prod1222.htm ) as it does a lot more than an equivalently priced Nikon or Cannon will do plus the stabilisation is in the body which means our old lenses will work with it.

Rather than using two lenses (as most "kits" supply) we're going to go for a single 18-200mm lense to save carrying the second lense and having to change it all the time.

Whilst the Pentax doesn't have the "cred" of carrying a Nikon we used an SLR P30 Pentax for 10 years and took it off road racing and it bounced around the car for days on end and still kept working perfectly. We only replaced it to go digital.

Another thing is Nikon and Cannon won't do video unless you buy units priced at around $2,000 whilst the Pentax will. Some DSLR's now don't allow "live view" which means you use the viewfinder like you did pre-digital and you can't see the image in the TFT screen.

The Pentax has a slightly lower pixel count (12.4m) but unless you want to print posters anything over 8 megapixels is way more than adaquate.

No camera in the price range will have a flash range in excess of 3-4 metres (10-13 feet).

I'd be interested in other peoples ideas as I won't be buying for a few weeks and they may show me something I hadn't thought of.

Last edited:
I have a Pentax istd SLR and I'm very happy with it. It is some years old now and in a lot of ways is better quality (built) than the newer Pentax.

Takes good pictures, plenty good enough for me anyhow.

Some pictures to show high speed and macro capabilities. These are low res pictures posted but the high res photos are awesome.

I would suggest doing a search on camera reviews, they have come a long way in the past few years.

Attachments

• IMGP0041.JPG
    IMGP0041.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMGP0042.JPG
    IMGP0042.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMGP0830.JPG
    IMGP0830.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMGP2185.JPG
    IMGP2185.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 30
I'm not sure Cobber's post was "not really helping much" as it was an endorsement for older Pentax cameras from a time when Nikon was the king of SLR's and Haslblad's were the best large format cameras.

Cobber's advice to read camera reviews is most relevant and what I did when researching our next purchase.

Check out Forum's as well. I joined the Pentax Forum to get thier feedback on the new KX.

Hi Lex,
Stick with Nikon or Canon.
The number of megapixel is the last thing you think about but the size of the sensor which affects the image quality.
Nikon has more sharp and clear pictures on high ISO modes.
But it’s more complicated for regular user and takes more time to process the images.
Canon is more user-friendly and gives high quality pictures.
Never buy non-branded lenses, it has huge effect.
I advise you to go with CANON EOS Rebel XSi

Is the Rebel image stabilised and can it shoot video plus does it give you real time viewing?

The Site didn't give out that info.

As I'm in the market I'm interested.

Note: Not sure where the image came from but obviously we still have a bug in the Site.

Attachments

• photo_2.jpg
    photo_2.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 9
After reading from the reviews. I think I am going to lean toward:

Canon 50D with Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus Lens

cneos50dkit.jpg

cnis70300usm.jpg

Body is about $844 and lense is about $509. That is the best deal i can find.

50D with 17-85 lense is around $2,437.00 Aussie or US$12.200.00.

I don't think the 50D shoots video.

Maybe I need to go to the States to buy a new camera and some more Crafstman tools.

ermm D70 or D80 Nikon which ever is in the budget or Canon 40D .. i would suggest .. my older brother is a pro photographer and he always recommends these for starters =/