lexus v8 into 1971 datsun 510?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

o5mar1

Like the title says, can it be done I can get the motor for about 500 bucks, and I am not sure what transmission I can use and if any what modifications do I have to do to the transmission.. thanks in advance

I saw a 510 with a V8 in it at the Japanese Classic Car Show last month--so it's possible. Of course, I neglected to take any pictures of it. I thought it was really cool because, like my Corolla, they didn't just try to shoehorn the motor into the stock engine bay--but put it down really low and way back in the chassis.

Mark

I would love to have a 510 with one of these engines in it! Not only mount it low and back like Mark mentions but also tub out the rear too. As for the transmission, if you want to go manual, then you'll need an adapter of some kind to fit it up. Plenty of posts on here about the various manual trannies that have been installed with it. I have my R154 installed on mine and can also install the V160/161 if I could ever find a decently priced one (good luck with that!).

I'll keep a hopeful eye out for your project and subscribe to the thread :)

Thanks for the coments, I have been reading some posts about the 5 spd once I get my computer runing I'll post some pictures of my car.

Well its almost time for the swap,I have decided on the r154 transmission,I found a company in new zeland that makes a bellhousing adapter and its like 320 bucks plus shiping.My current engine is a carburated 22r with a 5 speed transmssion,It has a weber 32/38 carburator.This forums seems to be very toyota oriented so il post my question here.What is my current engine worth? I bought the car two years ago and the engine had 5k miles on a full rebuild and since then i have put another 10k miles...

If you havent bought the adaptor yet im working on a R154 to 1uz adaptor right now, i just cut my first W58 to 1uz adaptor tonight, so the R adaptor is next, so if your intrested i can get one to you in a week or two.

Mate that is a sweet looking car.

As much as i love the UZ (follow my link) for your car i reckon you really should use a light engine and maintain to great handling.

Anything turbo 4 cyl or maybe an all alloy V6 would be the go. SR20 may have been done to death but no arguing with how easy it would be and provide more than enough grunt?

Seeing you have Toyota in there already a 3SGTE would be reasonably easy and similar grunt to the SR.

A UZ in that chassis is a bit of a waste i think unless you just want to go drag racing and go nuts with a TT setup?

the 1UZ is only 30kg heavier than an L20 - after you've added a turbo, cast manifold etc to the L20 it's up to stock 1UZ weight.

your biggest headache will be the steering box. either cock the motor over to the opposite side of the car by 40-50mm (sorry - 1-3/4 - 2in) or get fancy with the headers.

have fun.

Attachments

• lexus-ls400-4a-exhaust.jpg
    lexus-ls400-4a-exhaust.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 112
i had one of the fisrt fj20ts in my 1600 about 15 years ago

it would **** on my hilux 1uz
mind u most factory cars these days would too hehehe

its good to be different as long as u dont want power

prob with the 1uz is the width

i have played with a 1600 wth a vg20det
made good power but was tight fit

used to be a 1600 with a 350 chev here years ago
piss easy mod due to the 350 has a 60 degree v
anyhting with 90 is a pain

also theres a 1600 with a subaru engine
u need to remove engine to change plugs

with steering just run a rach n pinion

ive seen it done but it felt ****
u might just need to do some maths

thanks for the advise,i have looked into how heavy they are and its about 100 lb more than my current setup. my bigest enemy will be the steering box but i think a custom headers will fix that.

1UZ is ballpark 200kg depending on accessories....a 3SGTE by comparison is 130kg. If you thing 70kg doesn't make mjuch difference Pro chuck a coupla bags of cement in your engine bay and go for a drive ;) It's 5-10% of thw weight of the whole car!!!

I'm not saying it would be terrible but it would ruin what could be an excellent handling chassis.

What's the prob with rack and pinion conversions...if you know what you are doing they aren't too hard? Must be a datto with rack and pinion near the same width that you would chuck the lot in? 260Z perhaps? If you graft a whole setup in it generally means geometry issues are sorted.

Anyways, if you're heart is set on it as something different fine....just better options for in in my book.

In New Zealand they race 1UZ's with carbs so manifolds would be available.

There was a member here a few years ago with one.

Try a search you may bet lucky.

Of course going back to a carb is a very retrograde step as you'll get more power and economy from the injection and it isn't hard to live with.

Like the title says, can it be done I can get the motor for about 500 bucks, and I am not sure what transmission I can use and if any what modifications do I have to do to the transmission.. thanks in advance

i imagine you're going to need a recessed firewall and a new trans tunnel, not to mention a full rear end upgrade. i would be searching datto 1600 forums, as no doubt this has been done by plenty of guys (the driveline upgrade, not the 1uz). you'll also want to seam weld the chassis and/or put a cage in it for a bit more rigidity (and safety ;) )

1UZ is ballpark 200kg depending on accessories....a 3SGTE by comparison is 130kg.

3sgte are a good motor, but you'd want to hunt down one out of a lexus is200 (toyota altezza). firstly for the 6 speed box, secondly for the rwd sump and better oil pickups (fwd motors arent designed to mount FR, so on hard cornering may get oil surge). obviously dry sump is an option, but more expensive...

Attachments

• HPIM0764a.JPG
    HPIM0764a.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 27