Lexus to R32 GTR... Wish me luck!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
I had the same problem with the booster in my Nissan 240\180sx.

I did just cut out a piece of the cam cover, and welded it. Looks nice, and fits perfect.

I just noticed your posts, Awesome project :)

Im looking at doing the same but stuffing it all into a fiat 124 sport. Will the gearbox take the torque of the 8?? and will it be turbo'd to?

I like the idea of using the skyline driveline for the awd when it needs to be, i'm thinking 500 plus horse in a liitle rear drive car is alot of fun but in the wet a bit much, lol

Shuey:

It will fit if you are stubborn enought about it. I had to do a lot of, ehhh "massaging (cutting&welding)" to get my 4x4 combo into my Sierra. I also had to use a RWD ABS master unit from an English Sierra and adapt it to fit into my LHD Sierra to get the engine in. Even then I had to split the ABS unit and move some of it out into the left front wheel house to get everything in.

There are several alternatives:

1) You can use a multiple membrane, smaller diameter brake booster. The ones I know of comes from several Volvo's. Some older 240 series and all never 940 turbos have this.

2) Use a remore mounted brake booster, the old Mini's had these.

3) Run without a brake booster, run twin master cylinders and a balance bar between them. If sized correctly it's not to bad.

4) Use an master unit from a Ford Sierra Cosworth. These have an electric motor and an pressure reservoir that can be remorely mounted. You are left with just the outer diameter of master cylinder itself. The dravback will be it will not work with the Skyline ABS, you will need the complete assy from a Sierra.

5) Some more radical solutions, have you thought about moving the master cylinder and brake booster 90 degrees, so it's pointing out into the inner wheel housing or 180 degrees so it's comming back thru the firewall ? These are old hot rod tricks, you need to make some brackets and linkage arms to get it to work but it is possible.

Hey Guys,

Sorry, I've been out of action for a while, I was sunning myself in the luxury of Lankawi's Pelengi Beach Resort.

Errr... this conversion... hmm. I appreciate all the feed back and encouragement. I'm going to find time to slide the engine back into the engine bay (one day it will stop raining long enough) and reassess a few options.

I have considered the remote mount booster option (VH40/44 and a US twin master option http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/remote_booster.html ) but to be honest, I really don't wanna go down that track. I considered the 180 degree option and looked at installing an AP racing pedal box (Clutch and Brakes), but engineering is a major.

I'm leaning toward a rebuild on the RB26 or a RB30 block with my RB26 head for the sake of simplicity... but the rebuild cost of $8500 (forged bits and labour) plus two new turbo's ($3000) Power FC ($1000) and miscellaneous costs is hurting me before I've started.

We'll see.

Cheers,

Shuey

rb30 turbo was released in the r31 skyline and AU delivered GM Holden VL commodore. Both of which are late 80's model cars. Came with a single overhead cam... nothing too special. Works alot better with any of the later RB twin cam heads though.

no way man :(

how much would you be willing to sell what you've done so far for? (engine and conversion plates you made)

I'm keen to fit this in my 3000GT :D

Hmm... dunno mate... I'm thinking of selling the lot to be honest.... so you never know.

I have just committed to rebuilding the RB26 and getting a fair bit of work done to it while its apart... shooting for 450kW... should be easy for one of these.

The Lex conversion is still in the back of my mind, but to be honest with you, it is slipping into the "to hard basket"... very unlike me as a love a challenge. It was going great, right up until the brake booster got in the way.

Yeah, I know, there are a few options around the brake booster, but the idea was that should I want to return the car to standard (to sell or what ever) then it was just an engine change out... but the brake mods are just a road that I really didn't want to go down... So I effectively have a spare 1uzfe, GTR gearbox and an adapter plate... the sump...well, I just started cutting it up to make it bigger (hold more oil) for the RB26... So mate... you never know.
Cheers,

Shuey

If the brake booster is the problem, then I don't understand why you just don't do what I have done. Cut away a little bit of the corner of the head cover, and weld it. There are very big ventilation room in it, so it will not make any diffrence.

Definitely food for thought there mate... I still have all the bits to put it together... As soon as I find a bit of time, I plan to roll the Lex engine out again and have a closer look at the fitment. Anything can happen. I have put a fair bit of time and resaerch into adapter plates etc to get it this far.

Maybe the weather will permit this weekend. We'll see.. if so, I post a few photo's.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers,
Shuey

I researched the idea of putting the front differential under the UZ engine and I think it's better to weld the front differential to the UZ oil pan, instead of putting the RB pan on the UZ with an adapter plate. Anyone else played with the idea of a 4WD UZ with the RB solution?

Guys,

Welding the Diff into the Sump section of a 1UZ can be done, but I wouldn't do it. The thickness of the RB sump is around 6mm thick, while the 1UZ is waffer thin in comparison. Similarly, the Block skirt on the 1UZ is quite thin compared to an RB... In my humble opinion, a few BIG launches and either the 1UZ sump would crack or the block skirt would crack.

my thoughs anyway...

Cheers,

Shuey.

I think you should just give it a shot. The V8 in the skyline fits.
supras_058__medium__730.jpg

supras_049__medium__186.jpg

supras_067__medium__194.jpg

supras_018__medium__430.jpg

supras_071__medium__104.jpg

If you can do this in a 1975 celica you can do it in a Skyline :)

And BTW there's already a front diff setup for the UZ and it's integral with the sump so you don't even have to use the skyline stuff...matching diff ratios may be a problem though?