Kenne Bell Boost a Spark

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

SC400TT

Sorry guys if there is much on this in the forum...I searched the forum and really did not come up with much. I am thinking of going with the Kenne Bell Boost a Spark. Does anyone have experience with it on the pre 99 1UZ? It looks pretty good, and I do not want to go through the issues of switching out to COP, CDI, etc. I have the stock ignition, but all new Lexus plug leads, and new OEM coils.

This is from their site:
Adjustable from 0-50% (13.5 - 20 volts).
Increases spark energy - ALL 12 VOLT IGNITION SYSTEMS. Highest voltage of any ignition system concept.
New Kenne Bell "Long Spark" Technology increases AND regulates voltage. NOT a CD with an inherently "short spark."
More energy than CD systems. Over 2 amps at the plug (10 times more than OEM and 4 times more than other aftermarket ignition systems).
Eliminates engine misfire under boost or high load.
Ideal for supercharged, turbocharged and nitrous applications.
Will fire spark plugs with up to .100" gap and 30 psi boost. 2500 microseconds vs. 200 for CD's.
Regulates ignition voltage within .1 volt, regardless of battery voltage.
Allows wider plug gaps for MORE POWER. Other ignition systems must run closer plug gaps.
Automatically adjusts spark energy to meet engine requirements i.e. rich, lean, supercharged, high compression etc.
Two (2) models. Supercharged / Turbocharged or Normally Aspirated. Pressure or vacuum switch included.
Attractive red anodized extruded aluminum weatherproof case.
Developed on the Kenne Bell Dyno.
Easy to install. Justconnect to primary coil wire.

Ryan

Last edited:
Ryan, I think their Boost-a-Spark is basically a repackaged Boost-a-Pump, and it works by increasing the 12 volt system voltage to 14, 16 or even higher. This reduces the necessary dwell time significantly for full coil charging.

I have some realworld tests around here somewhere on the effect of raising voltage to the coils, and the benefits are so apparent I'm surprised more companies haven't come out with something like this. There was a guy up on the east coast who came out with a twin spark ignition, similar to the old Alfa twin plug / twin spark systems. He was testing it on Chrysler 300's with twin plug heads, and the system was running at 42v or 48v IIRC

We did this at Cooper for our Lean Burn engines back in the 80's and were successfully lighting off 18:1 and 20:1 mixtures with 24v going to the coils. There's no reason why it wouldn't give a substantial improvement for any hard to ignite fuels, ie alcohol, heavily boosted motors, etc.

Last edited:
Awesome news Cribb! I always love this forum...The place to go to get real answers! I don't need 2 of them do I? One for each coil?

Ryan

Aren't you running Iridiums? They'll already be gapped and you shouldn't try to adjust that gap - their electrodes are pretty fragile and both NGK and Denso recommend you not fool with them.

If you're running conventional plugs, then I'd probably start them off at .045" and see how that goes. If it doesn't want to idle smoothly, and you know your AFR's are good, then you could tighten the gaps a bit and see what that does. Others may have differing opinions.

I don't know how much load a single Boost-a-Spark can handle - you probably ought to contact Kenne Bell for their recommendations.