Installed Map-ECU in Soarer

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Damien

On the weekend I finished installing a Map-ECU in my V8 Soarer. My long-term aim is to run ITB's which I have sitting on a shelf so I needed to get rid of the AFM. I installed the unit in "auto-learn" mode a few weeks ago which means it's wired up to read the output of the AFM to populate the table. I got a different firmware emailed to me which is for NA applications so I can use the whole table for better resolution (instead of having half the table wasted in the positive PSI range).

Not all of the table got filled in during auto learn but it could have if I'd put it on a dyno to go through each point so instead I interpolated the missing values erring on the high-side (dyno time is coming though). I replaced the AFM with a length of 90mm PVC pipe (as it's only temporary) and fitted the temp sensor which came with the Map-ECU and changed the wiring so it outputs to the stock ECU.

It fired up fine and I went for a cruise around my place and the only anomaly I found is that it hesitates when quickly opening the throttle from cruise. It has a TPS enrichment function but even at 30% enrichment it's still hesitating. I email Peter at Performance Motor Research (Map-ECU guys who have been exceedingly helpful) and he suggested I watch the load zones as it goes from whatever the vacuum is to 0 PSI as I may need to make it a bit richer in those areas. Apart from that it cruises and accelerates well which I understand can sometimes be tricky on MAP-bases systems.

Instead of dicking about on the road I'll be taking it to a workshop nearby who has a dyno and the operator's pretty cluey.

Anyway, just wanted to let you all know what's in the works and I'll let you know how it goes once I've taken it to the dyno to get it sorted, but if anyone else has ideas on the hesitation let me know.

Very interesting article and i would like to know about it. Do u have any wiring diagrams for the connections. I am thinking about getting this unit too, but need more information on it. Do u know what is the software limit? Right now, Split Second is limited to 16 psi. I also would like to eliminate the AFM at the same time. If you can post some (print screen) diagrams would be great.

Thanks for being so brave....

It's running sweet! I ended up buying an a wideband AFR meter from an aussie company (www.wbo2.com) and spent some time tuning it on the road which showed the midrange was initially too lean at WOT. I'm trying to arrange a dyno power run this week if I can get some time away from the office and I have a track day at Oran Park (Sydney) on Sunday.

The table goes in 200 rpm increments up to 2000 rpm so for the range where you're cruising and using small throttle movements it's very smooth. From 2000 - 8000 rpm it goes in 500 rpm increments. I've got a small hesitation at 1400rpm when coming off a closed throttle but that is the only thing giving away that it's not 100% factory management and it's really only because I'm looking for faults... my girlfriend doesn't notice.

From a seat of the pants feeling it seems to have more torque everywhere and it does seem to rev out to redline easier but I want to see what the dyno says. I had a power run done at this place about 6 months ago for comparison.

The standard firmware goes up to 30PSI (using 2.5 PSI increments) but they also have a low boost firmware up to 20PSI (using 2 PSI increments) and an N/A firmware which is what I use which uses 1 PSI increments.

It's very easy to wire in using the documentation which came with it but I'll label the wiring diagrams from the manual for the 1UZ when I get a minute as there's 1 or 2 small differences.

I bought it through Neil Griffiths (www.rushimports.com.au) who's on here from time to time (BlownSC).