How strong is the tranny?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Spinnetti

Hi folks, have posted several threads in the other forums, but in short, I'm building a very low budget race car from a 91' LS400. How good is the auto trans? The stock one has 200k miles or so on it, and seems to work fine in my limited pre-drive before tearing the car apart. I was going to do a flush and fluid change, but do you think this thing would hold up to some sustained road racing? The car is totally stock on power, and will be 500lb or so lighter when I'm done, and will still run street tires. It needs to last through a 24hr road race. Do you think it will hang together? Should I add an external trans cooler? I have a spare AE86 engine oil cooler that I thought I might put inline with the stock cooler.... Thoughts?

if your not doubling your power output they last forever. Very durable units. I would reccomend a tranny cooler and a temp gauge if your riding it for enduro type racing. the a341e came stock on the 93-98 supra TT, so it takes abuse. Mine has 210,000 with original parts and all i've done is flushed fluid and replaced filter... still no material in the pan and still shifts very crisp.

if your not doubling your power output they last forever. Very durable units. I would reccomend a tranny cooler and a temp gauge if your riding it for enduro type racing. the a341e came stock on the 93-98 supra TT, so it takes abuse. Mine has 210,000 with original parts and all i've done is flushed fluid and replaced filter... still no material in the pan and still shifts very crisp.

Sweet. That's what I was hoping to hear.. have over 200k on it. Is it easy to flush (never serviced an automatic), or is this something you typically take somewhere?

The simple drain/fill can be done at home but a flush usually requires a machine. i found that if you can take off the trans cooler line (rubber lines to rad) and do it using the tranny to pump in/out you can save over $100. I just got a large oil pan and let the cooler line flow out a quart or so and then kill it, fill a quart from up top and do it again until you see pure red ATF out the cooler line. The filter is easy, you'll need to pull the 20-odd bolt pan and remove it (2 small bolts holding in place) and it's very easy to get to. Make sure you use dextron/mercon 4.

The simple drain/fill can be done at home but a flush usually requires a machine. i found that if you can take off the trans cooler line (rubber lines to rad) and do it using the tranny to pump in/out you can save over $100. I just got a large oil pan and let the cooler line flow out a quart or so and then kill it, fill a quart from up top and do it again until you see pure red ATF out the cooler line. The filter is easy, you'll need to pull the 20-odd bolt pan and remove it (2 small bolts holding in place) and it's very easy to get to. Make sure you use dextron/mercon 4.

Thanks... Ugg. I hate autos... If this thing works as a race car, will have to get the supra trans.