Horse Power and Torque

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Anaema said:
some belt driven centrifugal SCs can reach peak boost before redline. the best example i can think of is the twin Rotrex SCs in the new Koenigsegg CCX. they are designed to produce about 1 BAR of boost at 2500 RPM, the redline being about 8000. ill try to find a link.
All superchargers has to do with crank pulley size and charger pulley. Mix and match to get the proper desire boost. If you reach 1 bar at 2500, what does it means at 3000 rpm? If you get 1 bar at 2,500, then at 8,000 rpm, you will be overboosting. Its best to get full boost near redline.

more info

Hi, I am from South Africa and we install these engines with great success in 4x4 vehicles. Can anybody tell me the difference between the engine with the sump in the middle and the one with the sump in the front?
Can I distinguish between the different engines according to the the engine numbers?
I would appreciate any specs, info and advice concerning the 1uz engines.
[email protected]

ya that was random. dont mess this tread up, im very intrested, as i went with the 1uz for my project becouse i wanted A: flat power band and B: loads of torque.

in reality wouldnt it not matter if you are useing turbos or superchargers, just what the boost is at the valve face? you can have small ball baring turbos that spool very fast and superchargers that take a wile to get up to speed. i guess this just boils down to proper sizing, too large and potintal is lost, too small and its choking.

It's not psi, it's lb/m. The mass of the air determines the amount of fuel you can burn - and hence the power potential.

Yes, the #1 goal is correct choice in your type of FI. Too large a turbo, and you're wasting time. Too small, and you're just upping the peak effective compression ratio higher than you need too - while dropping off at the top end.

Same thing goes for blowers. ;)

Big power/torque surely must = big turbo/blower ?Am I missing somthing? I know is not as simple as that ,but that is what iv seen,Powerful engines (Drags)all have big blowers.

Too big a blower, and you're just limiting the fat & of the powerband to keep from breaking the engine on the low range.
Until you start talking about multiple ratio blower drives.

Guys using purpose built drag racers is a bad way to corrilate how something works. All of them use huge stall torque convertors, and regardless of what their employment is for FI (any combination, or combination multi charge of n2o, blower's & turbo's) have instant responce, huge power, and no powerband to measure (Because of the huge stall torque convertor).

Well was/still planing on using AMG E55 supercharger on mine,got me thinking about the size and things..would a SC scale with rpm?I.E as RMP increases so does the airflow off the SC? Often wondered what happened to the clutch type of SC in actural use,If you switch the SC on around 4000 rpm,will it act like nOs?

cjsupra90 said:
UZZ30... In all honesty, horsepower really means nothing except for a number to brag about. Its really the torque and the torque curve that shows how well an engine performs.
You and the one you quoted are correct. Torque is the force the engine converts from fuel. Horespower is the work being done with that force.

But I digress on the idea that HP doesnt matter. If you have 500 lb/ft of torque at 2500 rpm, like a Viper or something, you can do 238 hp of work. But if you only produce 250 lb/ft of torque at that same 2500 rpm, you are only doing 119 hp. So the lower hp vehicle isn't getting it done. More force(torque) can do more work at the same resistance.

What horsepower means is this: In Watt's judgement, one horse can do 33,000 foot-pounds of work every minute. So, imagine a horse raising coal out of a coal mine as shown above. A horse exerting 1 horsepower can raise 330 pounds of coal 100 feet in a minute, or 33 pounds of coal 1,000 feet in one minute, or 1,000 pounds 33 feet in one minute. You can make up whatever combination of feet and pounds you like. As long as the product is 33,000 foot-pounds in one minute, you have a horsepower. You can probably imagine that you would not want to load 33,000 pounds of coal in the bucket and ask the horse to move it 1 foot in a minute because the horse couldn't budge that big a load. You can probably also imagine that you would not want to put 1 pound of coal in the bucket and ask the horse to run 33,000 feet in one minute, since that translates into 375 miles per hour and horses can't run that fast. However, if you have read How a Block and Tackle Works, you know that with a block and tackle you can easily trade perceived weight for distance using an arrangement of pulleys. So you could create a block and tackle system that puts a comfortable amount of weight on the horse at a comfortable speed no matter how much weight is actually in the bucket.

I am wondering if changing the stall rate on a torque converter will alter your dyno torque numbers? I would think so, anyone?

I also know that using Nitrous in combination with the dragon torque converter I dyno at 310whp and 480 foot pounds of torque...Nitrous has that torquey effect...I also know that close to 500 ft pounds of torque traction becomes a nightmare and stock parts start to break.....Like the transmission, driveshaft, etc...

Attachments

• DSCN1142.JPG
    DSCN1142.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 28
it might, but i think it would affect the powerband itself more than the actual numbers.

I am wondering if changing the stall rate on a torque converter will alter your dyno torque numbers? I would think so, anyone?

I also know that using Nitrous in combination with the dragon torque converter I dyno at 310whp and 480 foot pounds of torque...Nitrous has that torquey effect...I also know that close to 500 ft pounds of torque traction becomes a nightmare and stock parts start to break.....Like the transmission, driveshaft, etc...
What stall speed is the dragon? Not that u might care, but have you noticed increased fuel consumptions with the dragon?

What stall speed is the dragon? Not that u might care, but have you noticed increased fuel consumptions with the dragon?

2200 stall rate if I remember correctly...Fairly aggressive...Throttle is very responsive from a dead stop..Completely opposite from the stock converters...I like it alot...

Gas mileage is suspect, but that could be from several factors other then my dragon torque converter...Car runs slightly cooler from my hydraulic fan deletion (little over 1/4 temp read) that enables the ECU to run the car slightly rich (like during warm up) which is fine for my Nitrous shots....

I Don't think the T.C. effects gas mileage what so ever is my guess....

it might, but i think it would affect the powerband itself more than the actual numbers.

I see your reasoning as I was thinking the same...

However, if the torque is now transferred to lowend via the more aggressive stall rate T.C. and the dyno is being measured at the wheels, the torque should be much greater. The Powerband would show a faster curve in the torque department, but also the wheel torque should be greater regardless of curve, no?

chassis dynos are read in a gear that is 1:1 i think, so there is no torque multiplication (this is speculation).

well, thats not really true, even if the trans is 1:1 the diff still isnt. and transmission ratios dont take into accont the diffs ratio, i dont think its possable to really get any stock car to spin the wheels at a true 1:1 ratio with the crank. even cars that have really high overdrives the wheels arnt spining faster then the motor. for example the V160's 6th gear ratio is 0.793:1 but the supra diff ratio is still 3somthing:1 so there is some mutiplication, i believe most people dyno in 3rd gear so its even further from 1:1 ive never seen someone try to dyno a mkiv supra in 6th before.
an engine dyno would be true 1:1 becouse the dyno is directly linked to the crank unless there are gears inside it.