honest opinions about your sc400

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

The Flea

The SC400's have come down into the price range where I can finally afford one. Seems like you can get anything you want; low mileage=$$$$$, or higher mileage=$. I've always been in love with this car and would like one for a daily driver. It would be only freeway driving at about 100 miles/day.

Tell me about your expectations along with any disappointments (or otherwise) from when you got your car until now.
Common problems.
What to look out for.
Insurance.

maintanence (supposed to be trouble free, right?)

I'm not in a huge hurry, so I have time for lots of feedback.

LOL I have been waiting for one. I want to build the motor with twin turbo and all other parts first then get the car. By that time the price will drop a lot more. I will look for a high mileage, good body, white color and must be 92.

Flea,

Get onto ALSC and have alook through the mechanical and electrical posts.

Great car but certainly not the most reliable once they hit 100,000k or 60,000miles.

They seem to eat engine and trans mounts, suspension bushes, the drivers door lining cracks due to flex, the drivers seat back wears a big hole due to a faulty spring. Fuel gauges need cleaning and they are prone to electrical gremlins.

The top tank on the radiator fails at 125-150,000k.

Good news is the engine and drive line are great.

Maybe that's why so many of put these great bits in other cars that don't have the dud bits.

The biggest problem with the SC400 is the weight. The small problems can be fixed.
I had a 92 model, thats where I got the interest in the motor.
You can keep the rest of the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you need to take the age of the car into account here and not make such a general statement like that. Remembering that these cars are up to 13yrs old here, thats not exactly young you know!! I could name several australia models which will hold up no where nearly as good as a soarer. Yes the doors crack sh!t plastic, but so do other cars. As for the electrical gremlins every seen how much electronic shyt is in these cars and doing only 100,000k and bushes needing replacement, you dont really believe all of them were genuine do you?? Besides up to 13yrs old remember and if you don't live in queensland as I currently do this can be a bloody hot place you know!!!

Anyway not meaning to offend anyone just I own a soarer so I am a little bias,
but I do think they are too heavy at least the V8 ones anyway for the torque they produce, having had a worked 351clevo b4 doesn't help I guess. But it was in a TANK hehe

Oh and one more thing if you don't think they are fast enough buy a dam supra!! They are a lux cruizer remember!!! Not an all out blow the hair off ya head sport's car...

My 2 cents anyway remember i am a bias soarer owner haha

and plz dont hold it against me!!

I parted out a complete SC40 to get my mechanicals and yes the wiring is amazing.

From all reports the wiring and ECU's in the car weigh more than the engine. The elctronics is the heaviest component of the car after the body!

The car I had took over 400 metres to come to rest after leaving the road. No real injuries but the car took a huge beating but the passengers door still opened. The other door, boot and bonnet were too mangled to fit the openings.

Given most of these cars have travelled less that 100,000k they are prone to failures ina areas that should last twice as long.

I agree few of then have genuine milage when sold in Australia

Yes but the rubber hardens with age and becomes brittle this is a fact with any rubber bush. The just happens to be alot of them because of the suspension setup, i really don't think very many would be genuine kays at all... Mine has done over 100,000 now and dont beleive it to be accurate and the only bushes that need replace are the top front wishbone ones the rest are fine.