Help us intercool the supercharged 2uz

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

glory

many of us have been discussing over at TS (tundrasoulutions) about how to intercool our supercharged systems on the 4.7 V8.

some have looked to water injection as a possible answer but i belive running a system kinda like the ford lightning would be better and more effective.

you guys on this site have more knowledge in "hotroding" these types of engines then any other web site ive seen, so..........
Help us out if you can-
ideas,images,pics,data,Garret links,Eaton links,anything that can help.

the way i see it is the Garret intercooler that is under the eaton m112 on the lightning would work on our engines except we are running M90 blowers and i cant find any info from Garret aboutthis application (eaton M90).

any little details might help so dont be shy about posting links or any info. on this subject. thanks ........
(by the way im MANDZACH from TS site)

Whilst I don't have any photos of the Lightning system I find the best place to look is on ebay.

Search under lightning supercharger and you should find all sorts of parts from pulleys to complete assemblies.

If you search under Ford Lightning you may get some images of complete engines so you can see how it all fits together.

I presume the Tundra starter is under the manifold like a 1UZ. If so you need to work out what you will do with it to make room.

How much height do you have above the oil filler cap before you hit the hood? If you can let me know I can give you a guess as to whether it should all fit.

Looking at the Lightning system off the engine it looks like you could make an adaptor to go between the bottom of the Ford manifold that would bolt onto the heads of the 1/2UZ. This would free up your plenum and lower manifold to sell off.

If you purchase the correct unit you will get bigger injectors as well.

Don't buy a unit with a 9 row intercooler as they were part of a recall as they leak. I think anything pre-2001 is suspect.

I purchased mine for US$1,400 from a '03 model with (allegedly) less than 10,000 miles on it.

To see if an M90 would fit I would go to a Ford dealer and buy the appropriate gasket for the M/MP112 and then the GM shop and get the same gasket for an M90. All you do is compare and see if it will fit. I would expect you to be able to fit it as the 112 is the same width and height but longer than the 90.

The MP112 is a top inlet blower where the M112 (off the Cobra) has a rear inlet on the US passengers side. I don't know if the Cobra has the intercooler like the Lightning.

I think the 03 Cobra is running an intercooler. Putting in an intercooler in a M90 or M112 is not hard. However, the hood clearance would be a problem. I am not sure what is the intake/hood clearance is but you would need at least 1.5-2". I would assume it can be made with water to air type of intercooler that will be sanwhich together between the supercharger and the upper intake.

Water to air intercooler is great if room and space available. However, i high suggest denature alcohol injection. If you look at your 4.7L engine bay, the rear passenger side of the engine (looking at the engine on the far left) has a space for injector kit.

If you Tundra runs 8 psi for example, you should set the injection at 7 psi. Once again, you will be on boost all the time and cooling is most critical at full boost. The fluid being injected to the engine can be change anytime. However, quality material like stainless steel braided lines and fittings are very important for safety. Most of the fluids you spray in are flammable, except water of course.

The second thing i would suggest is a CO2 spray. I went to SEMA 2004 in Las Vegas two weeks ago, and notice a company called Cyro something www.lextreme.com/sema.html made an 3" pipe with CO2 cooling. Check out the link. This might be the key for your intercooling quest.

Gents get onto ebay and check out the size of the intercooler a Lighning runs.

I plan on running the intercooler water thru the Crown Air Co condenser (duly modified) using a Bosch pump to keep the water flowing.

Anything you spray into/on you inlet manifold cannot give you the peace of mind a decent intercooler can provide.

Here is a picture of what i talked about. You can put two of thise and the CO2 outlet would spray into the intake. Almost no madification at all. The below picture is a cut-away view of the internal. It looks like an ject engine. As the CO2 passes through, the gas/liquid cool the pipe. The residual CO2 can be reuse to spray onto the intake for further cooling.
IMG_0198.jpg

Why not just inject N20 and extra fuel and be done with it? A small shot will have better cooling and more oxygen than anythig else here. If not that, then simply water injection.

Injecting residual CO2 in the intake would be terrible. CO2 is a product of combustion; you would be displacing good, usable oxygen with it and lowering HP.