Formula offroad car, with 1UZ-FE

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

palle

I'm driving Formula offroad, in a Suzuki like thing, at the moment theres a Volvo turbo engine in it(app. 400hp), but i have purchased a 1 UZ-FE and a 341LE tranny, along with some 7mgte injectors and twins from a Cayenne Turbo.
I would hope to get 500+ hp out of it, and some more buttompower.
The transfercase will probably be from the old FJ45, aksles from the fj80, but the front aksle is a hybrid with hj61diff/housing and fj80 outerjoints.
So now it will be a' pure Toyota driveline:smokin:

The swap will first happen in the winther break, but i'm putting it all together now, and hopefully i'll have it benched before it goes in the racecar, as the racecar is crappy on the dyno.

I will post here along the way,

Link to Video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlGQCk39y84&eurl=http://www.formulaoffroad.se/media.htm

Picture off the car:

Sounds like a most excellent project. Love the video!! I remember seeing another video of one of these events where there was also a water crossing. If the driver kept it floored, they would skip across the top of the water but if they let off, they would sink.

I've broke the FJ40 trasfer cases with the power of a 283 Chevy small block that was built and pushing around 300whp..... Lot's and lot's of torque though... I also wonder if those FJ80 axles can handle 500whp... I owned the 74 and 93 Cruisers for years and years and am very familiar with all those parts..

I guess if your into formula you know what you are doing though...Looks like alot of fun to me... That video is great..... Those little 4x4 trucks rip...

I havent broken a 45 transfer ever? but i'm sure that there is a difference in how it's used and where it breaks?

I'm using a hilux transfer at the moment, never had any problems with that either.

I can almost say the same about the aksles, but i know for a fact, that theres a huge difference, if you're driving formula offroad, where the wheels spin very fast, have only broken one CVjoint ever!(been doing that for almost 4years now)
Or if you're driving Rock crawl or Trial, where you go slow, but with a lot of torque because of the low ratio's and big wheels, with lots of traction, in this case, i have totally lost track of, how many CV's, diff's and whatever i have trashed.

But i have a lot of CV's in stock, and if i see a pattern, i willl take it from there, probably i'll go with the Bobby Longfield aksles?

Btw: What have been the problem with the fj40 transfer?
I have seen one that broke the outputshaft/yoke, to the rear aksle once.

And yes it IS fun to drive, but i dont think that it's being driven outside scandinavia?? Unfortunatly, but i think/hope it will come, in time.

We tend to see broken output shafts on Tojo transfer cases.

I would guess Palle's car is 12-1,500kg lighter than any Lux or Cruiser so it will be much easier on the driveline.

Look at the diameter of his tyres (tires) they are probably 29" or less whilst most guys who break drivelines run 33" or greater.

I've run 33's for years on Rover stuff and never broken anything but I've just moved up to 35" and swapped the entire driveline knowing I would have lots of carnage.

Palle - With my 74 Toyota Landcruiser (FJ40) I had it in low range and in reverse gear on a hard packed dirt incline and floored it to get out of the harry situation...Popped the clutched and gripped with the 300whp and 35" super swappers tires. I jerked and bounced out of the bad situation hard and broke the axle joint (snap) and off the front wheel came... Also on that same occasion the gearing got twisted up in the transfer case and it was permanently stuck in reverse with the stock 4 speed manual.. Had it towed home and then had to have the transfer case rebuilt and the axle and spindle replaced... I really had lot's of torque and traction in that old Cruiser of mine, as I could sort of pop wheelies in first gear low range by popping the clutch and giving it throttle on dry cement.... It was a great fun little truck that I had for many years...... I Use to jump it too at times as it had soft Rancho suspension and multiple shocks and a decent lift.. Installed after market power steering too which was rare at the time....

I then bought an Fj80 after that and didn't off road much in it but heard you could only pass as much as 400whp thru those drivetrains... Don't know much about the FJ80 axles themselves though...

That's what I know which isn't that much... I do know the FJ40 very well though as I built that truck up from scratch and swapped in the 300whp GM V8 motor back in the day myself....

Tahnks hope to get a good result.

Was it like this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjLH89uXYmM&feature=related

And yes you will need to hammer it, or the car will sink like a rock!

Yup, like that one. It would be nice if this sport would come to the States (never heard of it being run here but it may and it just hasn't gotten enough attention). However I can see why it wouldn't be, there are already plenty of environmentalists trying to get off-roading banned here.

Yup, like that one. It would be nice if this sport would come to the States (never heard of it being run here but it may and it just hasn't gotten enough attention). However I can see why it wouldn't be, there are already plenty of environmentalists trying to get off-roading banned here.

As a matter of fact, i know there has been some "demo runs" in North America(dont remember the state right now).

And i have heard some hear-say about some car being on the way, i have seen pictures of one american car also.
But if,when or where theres going to be some races, i dont know?

Environ"mentals" are everywhere, i mean(not to turn this into a environment thread) that we have to take care off the earth, but it can also be ridiculous at some times.

We tend to see broken output shafts on Tojo transfer cases.

I would guess Palle's car is 12-1,500kg lighter than any Lux or Cruiser so it will be much easier on the driveline.

Look at the diameter of his tyres (tires) they are probably 29" or less whilst most guys who break drivelines run 33" or greater.

I've run 33's for years on Rover stuff and never broken anything but I've just moved up to 35" and swapped the entire driveline knowing I would have lots of carnage.

The car weighs around 1100kg depending on the tire setup(1200kg with boggers).

The tires/paddles are around 33" in height, but they are very light, next to boggers, plus the rims are very light, so the inertia is much smller on the paddles.

Palle - With my 74 Toyota Landcruiser (FJ40) I had it in low range and in reverse gear on a hard packed dirt incline and floored it to get out of the harry situation...Popped the clutched and gripped with the 300whp and 35" super swappers tires. I jerked and bounced out of the bad situation hard and broke the axle joint (snap) and off the front wheel came... Also on that same occasion the gearing got twisted up in the transfer case and it was permanently stuck in reverse with the stock 4 speed manual.. Had it towed home and then had to have the transfer case rebuilt and the axle and spindle replaced... I really had lot's of torque and traction in that old Cruiser of mine, as I could sort of pop wheelies in first gear low range by popping the clutch and giving it throttle on dry cement.... It was a great fun little truck that I had for many years...... I Use to jump it too at times as it had soft Rancho suspension and multiple shocks and a decent lift.. Installed after market power steering too which was rare at the time....

I then bought an Fj80 after that and didn't off road much in it but heard you could only pass as much as 400whp thru those drivetrains... Don't know much about the FJ80 axles themselves though...

That's what I know which isn't that much... I do know the FJ40 very well though as I built that truck up from scratch and swapped in the 300whp GM V8 motor back in the day myself....

Hehe. that sounds "fun" some ride you must have been on there.

The FJ80's have a weak frontaxle, beause of the high pinion diff, and its to small in diameter, thats why i take the housing/diff. from the 61, you could take it from the 40-45 also, but the 61 was the closest to me.

The FJ40's are tough!! But we dont that many of them in denmark.
I've had a BJ42(diesel, 5speed and powersteering from the factory), with a 6cyl 4,0L diesel engine(2H) since 1997-98?, works very well, but it hasent been driven the last few years.

In my 4x4 club, theres a whole bunch of the 42's, cool trucks(maybee i should put mine one the road again?)

I'm guessing an Fj40 with 350 is fun?

what brand are the paddle tires that you run?? do they get any bigger than 33"

evan

The current models are:

Paddletires from Sandtires unlimited:
http://www.sandtiresunlimited.com/index.html

And "shoveltires" from Skat Trak:
http://www.skat-trak.com/

I havent seen them larger than 33", but if you find some, i would like to know.
I'm also interested if you find another option than listed above.

There's a few **** Cepeck Multipaddles around, but they dont make them anymore, and the remaining tires are getting old, so i would'nt rekommend them.

Edit: Ok the censured word is D. I. C. K. as you probably all know anyway.

Thats funny! I've heard a lot of foul language directed at Cepecks over the years, but I've never seen the name censored. lol

I'd love to see formula offroad in the states. Rock crawling is cool and all, but whats a motorsport without some horsepower! Keep us updated!

Thats funny that a simi common first name is cesored, why are words censored on this forum anyhow, arnt we all adults?

On topic, i love the hill climb trucks, good stuff keep us posted witht he new setup.

It's hard to tell, but aren't the tyres old Drag Car slicks, with the scoops vulcanised on?

If so, most Common Drag tyres are 30" - 33", with the funny car and top fuelers running 36" tyres. Drag tyres are extremely light.

Their just paddle tires... commonly used on sand rails. I would guess 35''-37'' by the sizes in the vid. Arn't these events located at old sand mines? I mean the side of those slopes are so perfect for paddles.... I'd watch formula over Glamis any day LOL.