ford edis system

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

oneeyefrail

hi again all, another quick question planning on using edis system for my TTconversion,but i cant seem to get edis 8 modules here in the uk so my question is am i able to use two seperate systems i.e 2 x edis 4 set ups ,going to be running megasquirt ..cheers in advance

You'd have to set it up so the engine is running as two separate 4 cylinders, and you'd have to have separate crank trigger wheels for each bank. PITA if you ask me, but someone smarter than me will probably jump in here and tell you how to do it.

IMO, it would be a lot easier just to buy the EDIS8 and have it shipped to the UK.

BTW, where are you going to get a 36-1 tooth trigger wheel for the 1UZ? They're not common at all, but if you ask David (Lextreme) nicely, he might run another batch.

I often thought it would be interesting to setup the 1UZ with a pair of EDIS8's running off the cams, instead of the crank, and in this way you'd have a true sequential system, not waste spark. But I digress.

As an afterthought, you could do this with a single trigger wheel, and a pair of crank pickups spaced 90 degrees apart from each other. Don't know why I didn't think of this yesterday, but it's how the ignition & EMS was done by BMW on their V12 engine.

John, do you think that you would have a true sequencial by running two EDIS 8's???

Im not that familiar with the exact way that the EDIS opperates, but from my understanding, the timing command signal (SAW) is send via the CAN network and the EDIS modual applies the timing to all channels. If this is true then you would be controling 4 channels or cylinders at a time. This wouldn't be sequencial and would be of no bennifit over a wasted spark cause you would be able to control timing of all cylinders independently of eachother....

If Im wrong here or missing something, please let me know cause if I am wrong about the system, then this would be a cheap and effective way to have full sequencial. I dont think this that it would be though cause there is only one SAW input which is output to the 4 channels of one particular modual.

John, something else that I just thought of. The EDIS system has no cam sync and thus has no way of knowing if a particular cylinder is at TDC compression or TDC exhaust again, something needed for sequencial operation.

Now going back to the 2 seperate systems ran off the cam's might eliminate this problem possibly, but still doesnt give you true individual cylinder timing control of a sequencial system...

Chris, yes I was referring to running the EDIS8's from the cams with 36-1 trigger wheels mounted there. Only in this way, would you have individual outputs for each cylinder, and no waste spark.

But as you point out, I don't think you could control the timing to each cylinder output individually.

Yeah, you could have one channel per cylinder but IMHO, it would be a waste of time and effort over wasted spark if you cant control individual cylinder timing...

in all actuality, wasted spark can be of benifit on turbo apps cause that extra wasted spark could help ignite any left-over air/fuel mixture in the cylinder and exhaust runner to thus helping to maintain spool or to help during spool-up kinda like anti-lag programming.