EGR Delete

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
The US Spec 1UZFE have EGR system build in. The partial exhuast gas supply to that system. I would like to delete that system to gain more exhaust flow to the turbo. Blocking it will help spooling. Anyone have any DIY procedure on this and how do i trick the electronics.

Thanks

David

I have deleted part of the system, the return pipe from the exhaust that goes back up into your intake, this is there for quicker warm up. Anyway its the easiest thing you could possibly do. You take out the bolts to the pipe that bolt it to the back of the plenum. You get a needle nose pliers and take out the metal gasket. Get some sheet metal and trace the gasket on this sheet metal. Obviously you dont trace the part where the air passes through... Cut it out, drill the two holes for the bolt, and put it back in and your done! Very easy for that part of it, good luck. I hope someone can shed some light as to how to remove the rest of the EGR system.

It stops all the exhaust gasses from going back into your air intake so you dont have all that nasty air reburning itself, just keeps the air you burn a little bit cleaner, although this mod will raise your emissions a little bit.

xirforever said:
It stops all the exhaust gasses from going back into your air intake so you dont have all that nasty air reburning itself, just keeps the air you burn a little bit cleaner, although this mod will raise your emissions a little bit.
hmm, the way i understand it, the only time the EGR valve opens is with decelaration, and sometimes at idle.

cseufert said:
hmm, the way i understand it, the only time the EGR valve opens is with decelaration, and sometimes at idle.
Thats basically it.
Once the motor hits 0 vacuum (ie, anything above about 1/2 throttle) the EGR system shuts off thus causing no restriction.

Are you sure this also applies to the exhaust gas return from the passenger side exhaust to the back of the plenum? It just looks like a metal pipe to me without any valves on it to me.

As usual this is not as simple as it seems. EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) uses a small amount of exhaust, which is basically inert and will not support additional combustion, to lower cylinder temperatures and pressures to reduce NOx production. It only functions at low output levels (idle, light throttle) and is not functioning during full throttle and therefore will not decrease full throttle power output or response.

Because of this effect the engineers program the computer with a more aggressive and less fuel. Now, if the EGR fails this timing and fuel curve will cause detonation... so... on OBDI and OBDII vehicles, if the EGR function fails the computer automatically reduces timing and adds fuel. This will NOT help performance. As pointed out above the EGR does not function during full throttle operation.

The most usual effect of deleting the EGR is light throttle pinging.

While seemingly reducing complication... deleting EGR will not enhance performance and probably cause negative operation. Full throttle performance may or may not be affected.

BTW, on the VVTi engines the valve overlap is increased by the computer to create the EGR effect and that is why there is no external EGR plumbing on these engines.

using a resistor will make the ECU think it's still working, but it will likely not fix the possibly un-optimized tune. Of course using a stand alone ECU fixes all of this

Odd thing about the later motors: I have a 2UZ with no vvti and it does not have EGR. I wonder what toyota did there.

David, disabling the EGR is not likely to effect your boost response. Increased exhaust manifold efficiency will :D Of course using a small shot of nitrous never hurt boost response :D :D