Dump valves and explosions!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

skid

I've just started an dumb thread in the Drive train area, so now it's time to ask a daft question here! ;o)

Been thinking........ (dangerous)...... Blow off valves/Dump valves etc. If on an FI engine they should be on the pressurised side and can dump to atmosphere, recirculate to the blower or turbo input area.... or can vent direct to the exhaust... is that correct?

What if..... you're using an additional injector prior to a turbo or supercharger to help cool the air as it gets compressed and cool the charger/turbo. Therefore you have large amounts of air under pressure lightly atomosied with fuel....... what happens when a pressure valve opens?

Obviously you don't want it venting to atmosphere, but what about if it vents to the exhaust? Is there a danger of it igniting on hot exhaust and back firing back up into the large (if with nitercooler) induction system causing a pretty spectacular explosion I would guess! ;o)

Cheers
M

?????

Umm...
are you describing a blowoff valve that is venting to you exhaust???
bigeyes.gif

DONT DO THIS!!! (Please clarify)

Also, i dont recommend injecting fuel or any other flamable into your intercooler piping! I'd recommend spraying directly in your runners or atleast the plenum chamber. Although this has to be very carefully thought out because if it pools or collects anywhere and u get a back fire up your intake, you'll blow yourself a new intake hole
approve.gif

Regards,

Riste.

Well that's what I was thinking but I'm sure a few people have mentioned a single injector prior to a compressor to keep it cool and mulling it over I was thinking it didn't sound right and wanted to confirm it.

Cheers

M

The suck through system is dead.

There is NEVER a good reason to put fuel/air mix through a Compressor. And in the event that you have no choice you should note that this negates the use of an intercooler (air to air, or N20 to Air), as you're likely to fill it with condensed fuel vapour which (unsurpisingly) can become fatal.

As for venting. if you have a pre-injector, you should vent it back after the intercoooler. The lesser of two evils.