Dont change your starter. it sucks.

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
I removed my starter by removing all the manifold mounting bolts and lifting the manifold.

I needed to release the t/b water line but that was it.

I used my engine crane to lift the manifold high enough to get the starter out.

One out (I didn't replace it as I moved it eleswhere) it was 8 bolts and 1 water line and I was done.

An hour and half and I was finished.

well I couldn't get those two bolts out on the ater neck so I went around it and removed the starter without taking off the waterneck.

It went together very fast.

Runs perfectly again.

I just had my starter re-built and was advised the bearings were almost siezed and if that had hapened the cases would have been ruined.

Caught it just in time.

The 1UZ starter motor in my ute is getting a birthday this week. The ute has been sitting for about a month, and yesterday I got a mate to back it out of the shed so we could go and pick up some car parts. He didn't know about a kill switch I have that isolates the ignitors etc and so the ute didn't start, but the starter solenoid jammed on and the starter cranked for about 15 sec before we managed to get it to release (repeated on/off on the key). It was pretty unnerving really, and although I haven't been able to reproduce the fault, I think it's time to give the starter a decent service.

No real point to this post, just highlighting another reason to overhaul the starter.

Nick M

Jibby, If I remember correctly, the dealership charged me $1200 to change the starter. I had them put a new one in and I used their RX loaner for a week and a half...Worked out fine, and cheaper than me renting a SUV...

BTW, when I built my new motor for my TT project, I put in a new one again...It is a pain in the ass to go there later...

Ryan

That starter motor positioning is absolutely rediculous... I can't believe Toyota designed it that way... Why not mount it outside the motor?...Complete intake removal to access it is just crazy....

Now I can understand why you REALLY don't want your starter motor to go out on an 1uzfe motor....

I wonder what the car dealership charges to change one out? Probably thousands of dollars in labor alone... Yipes...

Well, I only compared that to changing a starter motor out on an older car.. It is this simple - go to Pep Boys auto store and buy a newly refurbished starter motor for $85, get a core change of $20 back... Get under the old car remove the old starter that's mounted next to the motor with a couple of holding bolts, disconnect the wiring to the cylinoid and install the new starter... This all takes about 20 minutes and costs around $65 in total...

Now we are talking about an older lexus starter motor change out being $1600.... See my point?

jibby what point where you trying to make?

I think everyone on this forum is well aware of how to change a starter on quite a few diffrent cars, and going into this thread your the only one that was confused as to how diffacult it is to change the starter on a 1uz.

it seems toyta went back on that idea the ur motors have the starter on the side of the block.

btw i only made this thread as an excuse to post a pic of my newly cleaned up engine and crinkle coated intake and blocked off egr and idle valve. i didnt expect this thread to get this serious.

Jake, the point I was trying to make is it's dirt cheap and easy to change starter motors on just about every other motor on this planet other then these UZ's.. I really don't know how much clearer I can make it for you Jake...

I think the positioning and accessability of the starter motors, and water pumps are an engineering mistake by Toyota designers.. I understand why they put them where they did, but for the consumer whom has to change them out it is a absolute nightmare and half... Toyota was not being very considerate on this one...

This reminds me alot of my old 1991 Nissan 300zx twin turbo, as you just couldn't access anything to repair it when needed.. Mitsubishi is the same way in some of their vehicles..

Jake, the point I was trying to make is it's dirt cheap and easy to change starter motors on just about every other motor on this planet other then these UZ's.. I really don't know how much clearer I can make it for you Jake...

oh, i guess i missed it becouse it was a pointless point to make. no one dissagrees with you on that. let it go.

Jakester, What's the matter with ya mate, having a bad day or something?...Is it safe to say you are feeling just a bit grumpy today? I think I sense just a little attitude in your posts there buddy..

your just pounding a point that no one dissagrees with.
just becouse i dogged you on some really dumb things you said before doesnt mean im dogging you on everything i say to you, chill out man

Dude, this is starter motor thread and what other points can even be made? Starter install difficulties and the location is the subject.. That's the point I am getting at.. So what if everyone knows it already... I am just reminding them again incase they forgot like me... :nana:

Jake, I strongly suggest you take another hit of that fine herb you've been smoking and then pass it:439: , Then re-think, re-assess, re-start, re-bake and try again..

I am chill Jakey, don't sweat it..

As I told you before Jake I am always amused with your posts... I actually can appreciate a little tude every now and then, so keep up the good work.....

Well, I've got a little bit of a marine layer action going on where I live today and infact it's been like that for most of the week.....That's where a layer of clouds come in just off the coast for most of the day and basically looks like it's about to rain...At some point it burns off and you get a lovely sunny warm day at the beach...Oh, but the strange thing is if you travel a mile or a couple of kilometers in land it becomes hot and sunny as hell.. No trace of clouds and cover in land, go figure?...It's a bit frusterating if you live at the beach... You know it's a nice day but at the beach it looks like the dead of winter.. I am not so sure you guys get that in Australia...

So fellas we are doing the weather now? I'm good with that...

Guys I check the starter on every 1UZ we fit. Off coarse I do them with the motor on the stand. It takes around 15-20 minutes to tear down and around 15 to put back together. My new snap on 3/8 electric rattle gun is the main weapon of choice. We have done one at midnight in the vehicle and it took around 20 minutes for two guys to do. There was no water to the throttle body and had aftermarket wiring so it was quite easy. Nearly every one gets new plunger and contacts , often the brushes are fine but we do change a few.
In a factory fitment we do them in around 5 hours for the whole job. It takes a while but it's only time. I think the starter in the valley is good from the point of fitting to other vehicles. Headers are much easier to do and when you buy secondhand motors they always come with a starter as the wreaker can't easily raid them.
I do like the look of your engine Jake. Nice to see a clean engine.

Don't take this too seriously but I think you guys should harden up as per the following clip ( hope it works ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y . By the way I'm a kiwi not an australian - We may be in the same part of the world but we get touchy on that subject. Cheers

taking my turn to change my starter

this post is kinda an old one so I hope someone can find mine in this pile...

I have seen all the tutorials on how to remove everything but I was thinking while I have everything removed like the EGR valve and stuff like that should I just buy the deleting kit to block all those openings or will it fail emissions all the time now...which ones can I get away with not putting back on?

can someone please post pics of there starter removal and re-installation if they have any..thanks

oh yeah my car is a 92 sc400