Dont change your starter. it sucks.

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
I've never heard of a starter motor going out on these motors...I know they do but probably not very often... Thank god....

I have had a factory Toyota Landcruiser starter motor go out with 160,000 miles on the car.. That however was mounted outside the motor and probably not protected very well from the outside elements...

Lexus of Orlando charged me over $1,300 to change mine over 3 years ago, before I started my project. That included the starter...:pirate: :hitwithrock:
Ryan

That starter motor positioning is absolutely rediculous... I can't believe Toyota designed it that way... Why not mount it outside the motor?...Complete intake removal to access it is just crazy....

Now I can understand why you REALLY don't want your starter motor to go out on an 1uzfe motor....

I wonder what the car dealership charges to change one out? Probably thousands of dollars in labor alone... Yipes...

I think paying a mechanic shop to remove the complete engine, replace the starter and put the engine back in will be much cheaper. It might be around $500-$600 for labor I guess.

I was quoted over $2000 for my head gaskets (installed). I have never tore an engine apart before so this is my first time. Its a little nerve racking when you see that that many pieces that you have to put back on. My entire garage floor is covered... basically every part of the engine except block. Found out that the driver side header was the hardest part so far. Passenger side ended up just unbolting 2 bolts for the back cat and took the whole dang bank out in 1 piece but the driver side is another story. Ended up unbolting the head and cat and zip-tied the head to the side to gain access to the last elusive header bolt sheesh! Figure the timing belt is going to be the only bitch as the timing marks might give problems. I wish I was just doing a starter :)

The starter in the valley is one of the reason the 1uz is so good for conversions,it will never get in the way of exhaust/steering etc.

I am reversing the starter motor bolts due to Powerglide conversion.. The bracket covers the bolts.. There is NO WAY I'm going to disconect auto and adapter plate just to undo starter motor bolts..
I may use allen headed so its easier...
Reversing as in threading block, drilling out threads in starter and fitting bigger bolts through from front..

.... Found out that the driver side header was the hardest part so far. Passenger side ended up just unbolting 2 bolts for the back cat and took the whole dang bank out in 1 piece but the driver side is another story. Ended up unbolting the head and cat and zip-tied the head to the side to gain access to the last elusive header bolt sheesh! Figure the timing belt is going to be the only bitch as the timing marks might give problems. I wish I was just doing a starter :)
I agree. Before when I first fabricated the turbo manifold, I thought about making the maniflold on that side, too. It was a PITA so I jsut did the passenger side. I think you'll need to remove the steering column to clear that side. Let me know how it'll go so I can copy how you'll do it...LOL.

Well I am about to tackle this job this week myself.

In the tutorial on the main site it says you do not have to remove the injectors, yet later in the same tutorial it tell you how to remove the injectors. I am a little confused?

I am also wondering if someone could tell me all the gaskets i need to buy.

I believe you can get away with leaving the injectos and rails all attached to the lower manifold and take it all out in one unit.

What I meant was you can leave the injectors and rail with the lower intake and remove the whole unit together. That will save u alot time.

Time and money of buying all new injector o-rings and what not.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Anyone have any idea on all the gaskets required?

TheRonTom3 - I like your avator picture "I want you to speak English"... Perfect saying for where I live... It's like little Mexico over here in Cali.. and I believe I live in the USA last time I checked, but not too sure at this point........

No comprehende por favor??????:sombrero:

I just mod on a few other site and it seems like all the new members speak a horrible slurr of ebonics and stuff.

It drives me up a wall.

Its not really an issue here since this is a technical website, but everywhere else its getting bad.

well I began the starter adventure tonight. I think the biggest pain is still ahead. It took me 1.5 hours to remove everything down to the lower intake manifold. I gave up at the gas lines for tonight as the engine still had some warmth to it. I'll tackle the rest of that crap tomorrow.
The upper intake manifold to lower intake manifold gaskets look to be in very goos shape. Anyone ever reuse these?

Does anyone want to tell me how they got to the 2 12mm bolts on the EGR pipe that connects to the back of the water neck? I couldn't get a wrench or ratchet back there due to the angle.

Im glad this thread is active at the moment otherwise i could have had the same problem.

Since my 1UZ is on an engine stand atm i had a look at my starter today.
Took the starter apart, the bearings, solenoid contacts & brushes all look good.
Gave it a quick paint too ;)