crankshaft breather

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

lspower

if anyone is interested i put a crankshaft breather in yesterday, i was happy that i figured it out.

very easy. get a breather filter at wherever, take off hose that goes from the intake manifold to the pvc thingy, put rubber cap on the manifold hole, (also from advanced auto or such), put breather on pvc, tighen on, and presto you have a crankshaft breather

enjoy
ryan

i did a similar mod, except i added a catch can between filter and crankcase vent. to hold the accumulated residue. the routing of the crank ventilation directly to atmosphere is emissions illegal, however it should cool the intake charge and theoretically improve throttle response. only improvement i've noticed is less carbon residue in the throttle assembly and intake manifold.

ill try to get the pics soon.

oh well a little bit more emissions oh well
my cars still cleaner than a diesel so im good to go

crankcase breather modification

after 10,000mi, since last inspection, i checked my catch can. approximately 130mL of oil and fuel blowby. a small increase over previous sample, but i used conventional oil at the previous change, instead of usually refilling with synthetic.

i forgot to metion that's the other benefit of modifying the crankcase breather with a catch can. measuring blowby and fuel dilution.

have any of you looked at using a pollution gear airpump as a sump evacuation pump? mid 80s toyota coronas have an air pump that flows a lot of air that i was looking at hooking one up so the air gets sucked out of the sump and then pumped into a catch can.

there are some theories going around lately that this can improve engine life and throttle response significantly (although their idea of significant might be a *little* different to mine :) )

still, for the cost of a old piece of pollution gear and some garden hose could make for an interesting experiment.

You need a pretty big pump (I tried a small one on my honda) for it to work, but when you get a big (and efficient!) enough pump it will work very well (just look at any professional roadrace engine, they all use a dry sump system).
I was thinking of an old roots supercharger for this purpose.

There are two crankcase breathers - the other is hidden under the throttle body. No big deal for a na V8. Might come in handy on FI to reduce detonation. A catch can may be bought from autoparts shop or speed shop. Route both crankcase vents to can - it is filled with stainless steel pot scrubbers - the oil is filtered and sticks to the scrubbers - the relative clean air then goes to the manifold. The can fills with oil and has to be emptied - at least you see what it is doing. Fancy ones have an oil drain at bottom that leak to the oil dipstick. Removing hot misty oil from air intake is a good thing and raises the detonation level. Not needed for regular V8's - recommended for forced induction. Easy to make your own scrubber - I remember an article on autospeed for example - or buy fancy alumium one and find a place for it. Oil catch can is sort of the same, but you want to return filtered air to engine so no pollution laws are broken.
Diesels look dirty, but in fact have better emissions than a petrol car. Sometimes it's what you can't see that is deadly.

Good info, will try and find a used pump, and give it a go.
Wonder if the richer mixture from removing the PCV setup will correct itself through the ECU or not?
The programming assumes that the maf has this "loss" downstream, so it'll be interesting to see if it bogs out or not.

Try using an old air pump from the early polution days. Plumb it into the crankcase and ezhaust it through a filter.

I know Toyota vehicles in Australia ran them and they should be available from salvage yards for a few dollars.