Couple of Questions about my 1UZFE

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

twisty_toy94

Just got a couple of questions about my 1UZ. In the photo below in the two red circles, you can see that on the right side there is a bracket which seems to clamp down on a seal at the back of the cam cover, and on the left side it is missing? Is this needed to make sure that it seals or will it be fine the way it is??

aaq.sized.jpg

Also what is supposed to go in this hole on the back of the intake manifold?

aar.sized.jpg

The missing clamp is actually a securing bracket for the wiring loom which normally runs across the back of the engine. They don't hold the seal in the rear of the cam covers. Don't worry about the missing one. I only have one on the opposite bank of cy,inders to you and it hasn't been a problem.

The hole in the rear of the plenum is for US spec cars. Don't worry about it as it is not used and will not cause any problems. It doesn't create an air leak into the plenum.

I just had another look at your photos.

In the top photo I think the missing bracket can be seen down by the crank on the left hand side.

The fuel line (or return) is attached to the bracket and the fuel line looks like it has been bent downwards. If the fuel line is put back where it should be you should find it lines up.

I was referring to the black fuel lines.

I am guessing your engine is out of an LS400 as the fuel lines do not normally run down under the exhaust on a Crown or SC400. This would explain your forward slanted engine mounts and the position of the exhaust flange. I would also assume it has a front sump on it.

The battery cable goes to positive.

Yeah, my LS400 motor has the same fuel line setup, but my Crown motor had the more conventional setup

Your headers are definately Crown ones though.
They are the same as what came on my crown motor (which I presume was a UZS-131)

No, coz its acutally a picture of the REAR of the motor.

If you take of the cover on the side of the intake manifold, it just comes out there.

It is to do with EGR in the USofA

Peewee is right. The hole on the rear of the intake manifold is for the EGR cooler tube. It connects from there to the exhaust manifold.
The cover on the side where Peewee is talking about is actually where US cars have the EGR valve. Good call!

Got another quick question. I did the timing belt last week which was pretty straight foward but I'm unsure about my spark plugs.

How do you tell if the a platnium ones or not?

Heres a pic of the plugs in my 1UZ? which still seem to be in good condition.

aat.sized.jpg

Platinums are factory, which these are too (at a guess)
And normal plugs have fatter electrodes, platinums have thin electrodes, and iridiums have electrodes like pins.